Thread: [TV] Firefly

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

[TV] Firefly

On Feb 17, 2011, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Nathan Fillion said: “If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it on my own, and distribute it on the Internet.”

http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com

There is going to be a podcast interview with Nathan soon to pitch the idea to him to see if he would really be interested in bringing the show back. A lot of this is happening through twitter, links on the webpage above. I loved the show and I think it would be great if it really could be brought back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate you I read the title for this thread and my heart actually skipped, I thought for a second they where going to bring it back :'( ah well, back to rewatching Firefly and Serenity over and over.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

It's a possibility! Just the kind of thing that needs support

15+ Year Old Account
    Last I saw they're playing the show on the science channel (or it was advertised atleast). (not Scifi)

I'd love to see Firefly brought back for a new series or at least another movie
    I'd love it even more if it could be done without ending Castle

I never really understood why it stopped airing in the first place. Low viewer count? Advertise the fucking thing! I never saw a single advertisement for the show during its time on air.

At least they make a really good movie from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    apparently it was pulled because American Audiences 'didn't get it' they said there was too much going on.
    I don't understand this, it was a space based SciFi western in a semi steampunk universe that was 1/2 old west 1/2 china....
    yeah okay they may have been on to somthing...

but the point still stands, the show was AWESOME. The real question is, if they did somehow bring it back, would Wash still be in it?

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    apparently it was pulled because American Audiences 'didn't get it' they said there was too much going on.
    I don't understand this, it was a space based SciFi western in a semi steampunk universe that was 1/2 old west 1/2 china....

but the point still stands, the show was AWESOME. The real question is, if they did somehow bring it back, would Wash still be in it?
    It didn't help that the pilot was episode 4. They showed the first 4 episodes out of order, and then didn't understand why some people felt lost?

That, and it's Fox. They have an abysmal record with giving up on shows, or mismanaging them. Everyone loves to point out the "X-Files" as proof of Fox's commitment if the show is good. I say hogwash: Fox, at that point in time, had almost NOTHING else to air anyway, save for Married with Children and some crappy syndicated shows. If the X-Files had the exact same show, same time slot, same ratings today... it wouldn't make it a full season before Fox pulled the plug.

They're on the verge of ending Fringe. Arguably the best show on TV. But they never once gave that show a fighting chance. I've already boycotted the Sci Fi, er, excuse me, ScyFy channel. Fox is next if Fringe is canceled.

And you can also thank your fellow men, women, and teenagers of this ADHD country. How anyone can bear to watch even 5 minutes of "reality" TV is beyond me. And they lap up shows like CSI, or the cop/lawyer/hospital show du jour. No overarching plot from episode to episode. In fact, almost every single show/episode follows the same template. You could literally miss a whole YEAR, and not feel lost when you start watching again. Bubblegum for the brain. No thought, no retention, no comprehension needed.
    Last edited by Disenchanted; 2011-02-22 at 06:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    couldn't agree more man England is just as bad, we get the occasional good show slipping through, Misfits, Outcats, Spaced, Being Human, but on the whole TV is fucking TERRIBLE, it's all reality TV and game/panel shows.

also the reason they showed the Pilot as Ep 4 not Ep 1 is because they didn't like that Mal backed down to Badger in the pilot, they thought it made him seem 'Weak' and wanted to start on a better episode.... to be honest just that comment shows how little Fox knows about Firefly, or even such simple concepts as good characterisation, or realistic plots (yes, you can have realistic plots in a scifi western ).

and what was fox's big change? to make the show more interesting? Those fuckin dudes with the blue hands, I can't remember the reason they wanted them added, it was just so asinine my brain refused to store it once I'd finished reading the article...

Deleted
    Loved it, but tbh the movie that ended it was quite good so i think its fine if it rest in peace.

But if it got aired again i would not complain

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    I never really understood why it stopped airing in the first place. Low viewer count? Advertise the fucking thing! I never saw a single advertisement for the show during its time on air.

At least they make a really good movie from it.
    they showed the episodes in the wrong order...

The reason they didn't get it was cause they showed the show out of order... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Firefly_episodes Just look at the order of that... The last episode they showed was supposed to be the first... you know the episode that introduced the cast to you.. no wonder people were confused and was wondering wth was going on. They didn't let anyone form a connection to the cast because they kept jumping around.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know dude :P, look at my second post and it explains the order change.

TL: DR version, American TV Exec's are fucking RETARDED.

I know dude :P, look at my second post and it explains the order change.

TL: DR version, American TV Exec's are fucking RETARDED.
    Especially Fox Execs. They have a unique knack of killing off anything and everything good while letting the crap keep flowing.

Off the top of my head, Fox execs have killed off:
    1. Firefly
    2. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
    3. Arrested Development

I don't if any other network has such a solid track record of killing off good TV shows.

I remember when Firefly first aired on Fox and I must admit I wasn't really into it all that much. The storyline confused me (Fox aired the episodes out-of-order) and Fox seemed to air it on different days and times throughout its run which made it hard to figure out when the next episode aired. When Fox canceled the show I shrugged.

Later on when Sci-Fi Network aired the complete Firefly run in its correct order I gave it another chance and I was floored. It was awesome TV that brought a tear to my eye. I understood it all. My previous confusion at the storyline was because Fox aired the shows out-of-order and the show really shines when you watch it in the proper order.

It was Sci-Fi Networks re-airing of the show which gave the show its huge following that eventually led to the Serenity movie.

In a way I am glad Firefly is dead now, though. I have the complete first (and only) season on DVD and I have serenity on DVD. If you watch the first season and Serenity you end up with a nice, complete story-arc with a good ending. Sure there are lots of details I would have loved to figure out, such as Shepherd Book's past, but then again I love a good mystery. At least with the show dead it can't ever go stale or off-tangent. It is now preserved as great entertainment from start to finish.

If it didn't come back after Serenity, it's not going to happen...unfortunately.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

I also read this thread, thinking they were bringing it back. :-P

But I would hope they brought it back. Honestly, I didn't watch it til -after- I watched Serenity, but I fell in love with it when I watched it, and would def. watch SEason 2. However, it would be harder to do now that Nathan does have a successful show (Castle) now. I'm not sure if I'd like to watch Firefly without Nathan either.
    Araceli - Cenarion Circle

10+ Year Old Account
    omg those references are awesome Rayvio
    the first one if WIN Spacecowboys rock
    as is the one about learning Chinese from a TV show.

gotta say in the last one I thought he'd say something like 'Oh.. Serentiy, yeah that's great'

I restate the sentiment by Gallahadd: I hate you was just watching it at work, too.

I'm seriously, the best feeling you will ever get is spreading the wonderful virus that is Firefly to your coworkers. Pretty soon you hear someone say "shiny" of their own accord, and your heart grows a bit bigger.

I will forever mourn Firefly, but sadly, the cast has moved on. Now, there is however hope for the future. You see, there will some day be programs available to the public powerful enough to re-render an actor and their voice in entirety, and at that point, I assure you, if not me specifically, but someone will continue the legend. I await patiently for that time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crithea View Post
    I will forever mourn Firefly, but sadly, the cast has moved on. Now, there is however hope for the future. You see, there will some day be programs available to the public powerful enough to re-render an actor and their voice in entirety, and at that point, I assure you, if not me specifically, but someone will continue the legend. I await patiently for that time
    They may have moved on for now, but pretty much the entire cast said they'd come back to those characters in a heartbeat if it were possible to do so.

Zoe was my favorite character, so here's my favorite quote from her:
    Alliance Commander: "You fought with Captain Reynolds in the war?"
    Zoe: "Fought with a lot of people in the war."
    Alliance Commander: "And your husband?"
    Zoe: "Fight with him sometimes, too."