Should I level a new profession or keep what I have?

I am currently playing two toons, and have decided to finish leveling their professions. My main is a warrior with Mining and Blacksmithy, I like the combo and won't be changing them. My alt is a shaman with enchanting that I plan to keep, and he is at 320 inscription... I am trying to decide if I should keep inscription, noting that I will have to buy the herbs to level it, or drop it altogether and pick up another profession.

Herbalism seems nice for the lifebloom proc, and tailoring seems nice since it is another profession like enchanting that doesn't necessarily need a farming prof to go with, plus I can DE greens I make while leveling it and I can get the flying carpet mount.

I also thought about doing something using ores I mine on my warrior, but since I have a good chunk of blacksmithy to level (he only has about 250 blacksmithy), it seems less than desirable.

Is it worth it to keep inscription for the shoulder enchants? I am not necessarily in it for the money, just for benefit to myself and my friends/guildies.

Cant inscripstion be pretty expensive if you dont have an herbalist to farm the mats?

All of the crafting professions give the same overall bonus (+80 INT/STR/AGI) (Jewelcrafting gives +81) which are far better bonuses than the gathering professions give.

However, just pick a profession that you like.

Personally, I'd go herbalism to make money or if you want the stat bonuses go Tailoring (Elemental/Resto) or Engineering (good stat bonus and by far the most fun profession).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    hmm well going by keeping enchanting, which is a standalone proff, why not pick up something that works with it like tailoring? Since it's also a standalone proff.
    Or, since your other toon already has mining, you could easily go JC or engineer and use the other toon's mining to feed those.
    If gold is a concern I think you could be better off. JC can make you some gold, engineering is a gold making fail for the most part, but loads of fun stuff. Just my two cents

All crafting professions provide close to the same bonuses. Inscription is a fine prof, excellent for making money if you want to put the time in, and handy to have for alts and guildies. But really any crafting prof is fine.

If you're serious about min/maxing no gathering profs are qualified.

In general, you will make more money per hour on crafting professions than you will on gathering professions. This will remain true until Blizzard comes up with a way to permanently prevent bots.

But all that being said? Do what you like. I have alch/eng, alch/scribe, alch/JC, chant/tailor and mine/herb on my 85s. Outside of my farmer rogue with mine/herb they're all legit. (3x alchs was from back when transmutes made you amazing amounts of money at the start of the expansion).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valden83 View Post
    I am currently playing two toons, and have decided to finish leveling their professions. My main is a warrior with Mining and Blacksmithy, I like the combo and won't be changing them. My alt is a shaman with enchanting that I plan to keep, and he is at 320 inscription... I am trying to decide if I should keep inscription, noting that I will have to buy the herbs to level it, or drop it altogether and pick up another profession.
    You can probably level Inscription at no cost by selling the resulting glyphs that you craft. Making gold with inscription is one of the most involved processes of all the professions. You need to setup a pretty advanced system that you understand and can manage, one that helps you manage thousands of glyphs of hundreds of types. It also takes a long time to build up the glyphs that you have access to. In the end you can have a steady source of income that spikes when new patches come out and provides for you in the long run. If that interests you finish off inscription and setup a system that will help you. Do some google searches or buy something like hayden's gold guide to learn how to setup an inscription system.

If that's not your thing, you should definitely drop inscription, since the shoulder enchants, IMO, aren't really worth it. If you enjoy farming, grab Herbalism and farm away. This will not make you as much gold as Inscription would but it will fit your play style better. If your reasoning is not based on how much gold you can make, then you should base it on your personal playstyle and which profession benefits you like the most, since they are all pretty much the same in the end. GL

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd keep BS/Ench/Inscrip and drop Mining to pick up Jewelcrafting. Gathering professions are pretty much useless on non-Druid alts at this point, and definitely useless on a main character. There are far too many mining and herb bots on most servers for gathering to be worth the time and effort. It's easier to just buy the materials to level your professions.

Thanks for the insight guys. I think I'm just going to sit on inscription til my other profs are leveled. Tailoring does sound enticing tho