Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Lore that confuses me and you...

Hi, there are a few things in the lore that seem to confuse me a bit.. maybe we can use this thread to help eachother? Post anything in the lore that makes you scratch you'r head!

Do Night Elves really marry? I never heard anything about it until one of the books, and now it turns out fandral staghelms son was married too? Is this a new thing?

Why is sylvanas's sister vereesa windrunner in the ghostlands helping the Horde? I thought she hated Blood Elves for some reason? She says that she wants to protect quelthalas, and seems to have shifted her angsty hate onto Lorthemar Theron.. why is that? Do they have some history? But wtf would she and the High Elfs be protecting Horde land for? If i told varian that i was going to go save horde territory from trolls he would cut my head off..

Did Illidan have any good traits? Everyone always says how evil he was and how nice malfurion is but i always thought Illidan was the more interesting.

Why does Garrosh hates the alliance so much? Wasnt he living in a small village his entire life and then suddenly shouting about how much he hates them? Why is it?

Thats enough for now but more to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lore that confuses me: Why didn't Sylvanas bring back Saurfang the Younger to join the Forsaken? That would have been EPIC and I would have liked the Forsaken more.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Night Elves don't marry, but along came Knaak.

Vereese is helping because she really, really, REALLY hates forest trolls. She doesn't like Blood Elves, because all high elves veiws them as traitors.
    She is there because she like Vol'jin realises the threat of the zandalari.

Illidan did have a lot of good in him, but it was overshadowed by the fact that Tyrande didn't love him, and his thirst for personal power.

Garrosh hates the Alliance, because they wish to destroy him and his race. Say what you will about Garrosh, but he really does love his people.

Sylvanas wasn't in Northrend when Saurfang was killed, Arthas snatched his body and soul. The second time he was killed, his father took the body.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now, my main headscratcher is why Varian hasn't suffered a serious public relations blow from attempting to assassinate Moira in front of all of Ironforge, then forced his supposed military ally nation's leader to change her entire governmental structure at sword-point. Moreover, the dwarves were so beholden to their traditions--the heir to the throne is right, no matter what--that even they spoke out against Varian's assassination attempt, so why did they suddenly change their tune and cheer when he basically turned Ironforge into a subordinate nation by forcing them to rule according to his wishes?
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    Lore that confuses me: Why didn't Sylvanas bring back Saurfang the Younger to join the Forsaken? That would have been EPIC and I would have liked the Forsaken more.
    I'm guessing his body was brought to Orc territory after the fight. She'd have to ask permition to do such a thing, and its unlikely his dad would want his son to become an undead abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenosege View Post
    Why is sylvanas's sister vereesa windrunner in the ghostlands helping the Horde? I thought she hated Blood Elves for some reason? She says that she wants to protect quelthalas, and seems to have shifted her angsty hate onto Lorthemar Theron.. why is that? Do they have some history? But wtf would she and the High Elfs be protecting Horde land for? If i told varian that i was going to go save horde territory from trolls he would cut my head off..
    She isn't the most consistent character in the franchise. She spent about half of her Knaak novel droning on about how much she hates being around Rhonin... and look what happened there. I'm not sure what rattled her cage this time; it could be some unknown drama between her and Lor'themar, certainly. Maybe after she failed to keep the Sunreavers out of Dalaran she became a little more willing to compromise.

Did Illidan have any good traits? Everyone always says how evil he was and how nice malfurion is but i always thought Illidan was the more interesting.
    He was always a bit of a stalker, but he wasn't rotten to the core. He was a man in love, and didn't deal with rejection that well... but even so, he did what he could to help his people. It turned out horribly, but there you go.

Why does Garrosh hates the alliance so much? Wasnt he living in a small village his entire life and then suddenly shouting about how much he hates them? Why is it?
    Garrosh believes that the Alliance are selfish, and that they're stopping the orcs from enjoying a better quality of life. To that end, he's pissed. His eyes were opened to this during his first trip to Orgrimmar, and really manifested itself in Northrend.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for Illidan: He was like the recovered heroin addict trying to prove to his friends and family that he was recovered in all the wrong ways, and when nobody recognized him for it, or praised him, and instead admonished him for being reckless, he fell back into old habits.

yeah....how about you ask saurfang for his son's corpse.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Right now, my main headscratcher is why Varian hasn't suffered a serious public relations blow from attempting to assassinate Moira in front of all of Ironforge, then forced his supposed military ally nation's leader to change her entire governmental structure at sword-point. Moreover, the dwarves were so beholden to their traditions--the heir to the throne is right, no matter what--that even they spoke out against Varian's assassination attempt, so why did they suddenly change their tune and cheer when he basically turned Ironforge into a subordinate nation by forcing them to rule according to his wishes?
    They saw his new statue and thought "Oh well, a king clever enough to waste money on a statue while half his city is burning is worthy of our support! More beer please!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Here are some points I'd like cleared up:

-Events involving the Titans vs. Old Gods. Did the Titans defeat the elementals and order Azeroth, and the Old Gods came later? Were the Old Gods hidden when the Titans first came? Did the Old Gods infest everything with the Curse of Flesh before or after their imprisonment? Did they infest Azeroth before or after? Is the Old God that allegedly died during the war C'thun or another one?

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Sylvanas wasn't in Northrend when Saurfang was killed, Arthas snatched his body and soul. The second time he was killed, his father took the body.
    Sylvanas was in the Frozen Halls dungeons, so she was certainly in Northrend at around the time the Ashen Verdict was attacking Icecrown Citadel.

It's likely that Saurfang the Younger's body was taken and cremated by his father, so there was no chance Sylvanas could have gotten to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    They saw his new statue and thought "Oh well, a king clever enough to waste money on a statue while half his city is burning is worthy of our support! More beer please!"
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFHahahahaha

10+ Year Old Account
    to all the people saying, "why didn't sylvanas resurrect saurfaung jr?", she cant. the valkyr can only bring back HUMANS.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Sylvanas' val'kyr can only raise humans. After Arthas died they seem to have lost the ability to bring other races back.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Here are some points I'd like cleared up:

-Events involving the Titans vs. Old Gods. Did the Titans defeat the elementals and order Azeroth, and the Old Gods came later? Were the Old Gods hidden when the Titans first came? Did the Old Gods infest everything with the Curse of Flesh before or after their imprisonment? Did they infest Azeroth before or after? Is the Old God that allegedly died during the war C'thun or another one?

Sylvanas was in the Frozen Halls dungeons, so she was certainly in Northrend at around the time the Ashen Verdict was attacking Icecrown Citadel.

It's likely that Saurfang the Younger's body was taken and cremated by his father, so there was no chance Sylvanas could have gotten to him.
    Like I said, the second time we killed Saurfang, Varok took the corpse so Sylvanas didnt' have a chance. And the first time he was killed, she wasn't there.

As for the Old Gods, the Titans discovered Azeroth, defeated the elements, banished their lords, and imprisoned the Old Gods. Yet, the Old Gods managed to influence the world of Azeroth beyond the barriers of their prisons. After the titans left, they created the Curse of Flesh, affecting the titanic creations, the Vrykul, the Earthen, the Mecha-gnomes, the Tol'vir and so forth.
    The Old God that died, I think you are refering to the one in Darkshore at Master's Glaive? If so, that one was just a servant and will be revived if the sword is removed. The Old Gods cannot die, they are parasite, should they die Azeroth will explode, more or less.
    If defeated, they will go in a coma like state.

Hi, there are a few things in the lore that seem to confuse me a bit.. maybe we can use this thread to help eachother? Post anything in the lore that makes you scratch you'r head!

Do Night Elves really marry? I never heard anything about it until one of the books, and now it turns out fandral staghelms son was married too? Is this a new thing?

Thats enough for now but more to come!
    I can help with the lore of Illadin and someone of Garrosh. THe night elves i assumed had some form of marriage, as do all the other races (im assuming).

To start with, Illadin. There are a lot of people, as you said, you claim that he's evil. I believe more, misunderstood. Firstly, after the Well of Eternity was destoyed, Illadin had created another one in his lust for magic, using a vial of water he had obtained from the original Well of Eternity. For this, he was imprisoned as the night elves had believed his actions selfish. He claimed the Skull of Gul'dan for it's powers, but also to weaken the Legions strength in Felwood. His intentions, though good, were frowned upon by many others, and for that, he was banished from the forests of Kalimdor.
    Later, he then took the Eye of Sargeras and tried to use it to destroy the Frozen Throne. At first, no one knew his intentions, they simply assumed that he meant to wreak havok upon Azeroth with it, but really he intended to help Azeroth by destroying the Lich King.
    Then, the people of Azeroth traveled to Outland, where he had made his home, and attacked him. I really don't know why the Alliance and Horde did this, all I know is that they did.

About Garrosh. I don't know all the story, but I try to look at it from his perspective. He's the son of Grom Hellscream, the people of the Horde are expecting a lot of him, simply because of this fact. Grom saved the orcs from the blood corruption of the Legion, and now, the Horde is expecting this of him, at least he believes so. So, in order to save his people, he feels that he has to defeat a great threat, and the only real threat to his people at the moment would be the Alliance.

Most of this is based on opinions though.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    to all the people saying, "why didn't sylvanas resurrect saurfaung jr?", she cant. the valkyr can only bring back HUMANS.
    Uhm no, they can bring back anything really, they brought back Sylvanas and she's an elf.

Deleted
    because lich king did it first. deathbringer , 4th boss in icc..

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm no, they can bring back anything really, they brought back Sylvanas and she's an elf.
    quests have stated in silverpine that the valkyr were only able to bring back humans, hence why we see in pyrewood non humans when you go burning through it with Godfrey.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Good point, but they had to kill themselves to do it. They also state that they can't raise dwarves, night elves, gnomes et al during Silverpine...

There's also this "pact" between them, "binding" them to Sylvie, so maybe that's why she could bypass it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently that required a special pact and it cost the valkyr their lives.