Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Females in Warcraft. Your opinion?

I am a female gamer, and I love my warcraft. However, I have noticed a slight... lack... of a lot of strong females as NPCs/leaders/etc. It seems like there is a lack, in general. Even a lot of the strong females have to be entangled in love triangles. So, I would like some other people's opinions. Who are your favorite female NPCs and why? Lore, book, in game, whatever have you, I'd just love to see your reasons. I'd also like to hear what some of your more female friendly factions seem to be. For example, I would say that the Worgen seem to have many a kickass female in their starting zone, like Gwen Armstead. I also think that at least lorewise, nightelves have strong females. Dwarves have strong females, and so do Orcs, to me.

So, I'd love to hear other opinions.

All hail Sylvanas.

I think females are very well represented in the Warcraft universe. I mean, we've killed Onyxia three times!

There's alot of strong female leaders.

Jania Proudmoore (Strongest human mage of all Azeroth)

Sylvanas

I don't remember the name but one of the three leaders of the dwarf clan is a female.

list can go on.

Oh man, there was a woman who became close to a leader, but was half-possessed by the Burning Legion, and killed him. Who am I thinking of? I'm drawing a total blank here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ormula View Post
    Oh man, there was a woman who became close to a leader, but was half-possessed by the Burning Legion, and killed him. Who am I thinking of? I'm drawing a total blank here.
    Azshara? o.o

Females don't have the amounts testosterone that men do meaning they're genetically weaker, OP, that's why they're always healers. Badum tssssssssssss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostx View Post
    There's alot of strong female leaders.

Jania Proudmoore (Strongest human mage of all Azeroth)

Sylvanas

I don't remember the name but one of the three leaders of the dwarf clan is a female.

list can go on.

I like your list. But what about the fact that half of what Jaina is known for is dating Arthas, and that whole fiasco about is-she-or-isnt-she with Thrall? That's part of what I mean. Why is it Tyrande has to have her whole triangle with Illidan and Malfurion? like that...

.......................................................................................... ........

10+ Year Old Account
    Maiev hands down. She doesn't need to dress like a slut to be freakin badass. Plus she was crazy over her lieutenant.

Sindragosa is my favorite. The power to drive everyone insane irl is mindblowing.

All hail Sylvanas.
    /agree

Sylvanas Windrunner has to be my favorite character in the Warcraft universe and basically the reason I rolled a Forsaken in the first place all those years ago. Sylvanas took the downtrodden group of free-willed and terrified undead Arthas left behind, gave them meaning again and transformed them into a formidable people, she even secured them a home. She fights tooth and nail each day for the Forsaken’s place in the world, their future. There are few on Azeroth who have endured what Sylvanas has, experienced true subjugation as she has yet she fights on. Without her determination and leadership the Forsaken would not be, simple as that. You may not agree with her methods or her attitude (and some may very well think the Forsaken should not be) but accusing Sylvanas of being weak or useless just seems nothing short of ridiculous. Yes she is bitter and cruel but, honestly if I were killed failing to defend my homeland, brought back only to be forced against my will to lay waste to it then left behind as a walking corpse in a world that would destroy such things on sight without question I’d probably be a little pissed off about it too.

Through the quests in Cataclysm we can see she isn’t entirely without mercy either. She honors her word and allows Darius and Lorna Crowley to leave alive when she could have easily killed them both and had Lorna raised anyway. Her conversation to you as you ride with her to the Sepulcher further shows she only wants to maintain a grasp on the lands that rightfully belong to her people (the former, now undead citizens of Lordaeron) and she has never once done or said anything that implies she wishes any more than that. The “SYLVANAS = LICH QUEEN” stuff should probably stop too. They’re using the same methods but Arthas used them in his campaign to kill everyone and conquer the world while Sylvanas is using them to preserve and protect the Forsaken. Just a wee difference.

She isn’t at all reluctant to get her hands dirty, which is one of the things I enjoy most about her character. In a world full of “BLOOD AND HONOR AND GLORIOUS BATTLE AND RARRGGHHH” characters here is one who does not hold herself above using these questionable methods if it means a victory. Sylvanas knows, perhaps better than anyone that a battle lost means a slow and painful death for you and all you hold dear, if you lost because you refused to do something dishonorable that might have meant a victory it doesn’t make that loss any different. The world is unfair and the banshee queen is having none of it.

Those are my two cents at least. The game has a lot of capable, powerful female characters but sometimes they're just handled badly, like how Vereesa Windrunner is portrayed as an accomplished archer but essentially nothing more than a damsel for Rhonin to save in the works of Richard Knaak for example. Also, remember how the supreme ruler of all dragons is a woman who fairly recently pounded Deathwing's face into the dirt. I know she didn't WIN but it was a fairly impressive attempt when you consider who she was up against.
    "Lordaeron belongs to the Forsaken. Always and forever!"

Perfection is so horribly dull, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by anisadora View Post
    I like your list. But what about the fact that half of what Jaina is known for is dating Arthas, and that whole fiasco about is-she-or-isnt-she with Thrall? That's part of what I mean. Why is it Tyrande has to have her whole triangle with Illidan and Malfurion? like that...
    because powerful women has great influence on men *wink wink wink*

Garona Halforcen all the way! My fav char in wow

It's a "man's game", it's about war, that why there are fewer important female characters. And that's also why the ones that there are in wow get so much love. I think they get more value this way. Not that i wouldnt want to see more relevant females, because i'd love that!

Quote Originally Posted by anisadora View Post

True, I was thinking that as well. Jaina is most known for dating Arthas and being Thrall's BFF; her own accomplishments don't really stand out.

Actually, while typing this post, I thought of one famous, strong female-- Alexstrasza!

Maiev, Sylvanas, jaina, tyrande....

and those are just the ones my lore-tardedness knows of

Hell, aren't all the "night elf warriors" lore-wise female and all the druids are male?
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Those motherfuckers have lasers for all we know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, they aren't represented correctly.

Jaina cries more than every other combined.

Sylvannas is a wackjob.

Onyxia has a problem with people.

It's like every female is on their period at the exact same time.
    v you dun got goofed bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Broheals View Post
    I guess you have a job with blizzard... Oh no wait you do better stuff than blizzard! Well done love it, I must see more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I cut out bits from Hamlet and pasted them together in another book. I'm a better author than Shakespeare!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suikoden View Post
    Maiev hands down. She doesn't need to dress like a slut to be freakin badass. Plus she was crazy over her lieutenant.
    THISAGREED.

Maiev is a pretty cool guy. She chases Illidan and doesn't afraid of anything.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I always thought it would be cool to have a leader like Olivier Armstrong from the show Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
    For those of you who don't know: http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Olivier_Mira_Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrrawrrawrr View Post
    Because they all are in the kitchen.
    Oh lawdy LOL.
    Sylvanas

10+ Year Old Account
    aggra is a bawss
    sylvanas is a bawss
    jaina is a bawss
    lor'themar theron is a girl (i thought she kind of fit in with this thread)
    i cant think of any other cool ish girl npcs