Smile Omnotron Defense System Shields

I know this has been asked millions of times but I never get a "real" answer, some threads say that you can safely refresh dots after 40 energy others say after shield is up you should never touch them, others say that BoH wont break any shields except Magma, misleading data everywhere D:, I know I can leave dots run out since it's dot application what triggers shields, can the evil warlocks gods help me and make like a FINAL list of what procs shields what doesnt, when is safe to reapply, BoH, are if there differences between Heroic and Normal?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ryal; 2011-05-22 at 11:36 PM.

Deleted
    Put your last dots up at 60% let those dots run out and he will probally put his shield up shortly after dots run out, Switch and repeat.

Never and i mean never touch a shielded omnotrom.

I haven't seen anyone post an explicit list - but as of this week - 4.1 - the below is true.

*with the exception of mag's shield, which is purely based off damage done*

Anything that creates non-periodic damage events will proc the shields, anything that only creates periodic damage events will not. (There was a useful post on these forums about that).

To clarify with examples-

This means applying immolate (an initial spell_damage followed by spell_aura_applied and spell_periodic_damage or w/e it is) will trigger the shields. It being present prior to the shields will *not* trigger, as this is only periodic damage events.

UA is always ok - no direct damage events.
    Corr ok.
    CoD is not ok, because it spawns guardians (ebon imps) and these cause direct damage events - the tick itself won't proc the shields, but it isn't worth the risk.
    CoA is ok.
    Curses are of course ok.
    Guardians are not ok - they cause direct damage events and will proc it.
    Havoc *WILL* break shields - it causes a corresponding damage event for 15% of every other damage event you do to other targets - periodic or otherwise - I admit to being lazy on this one - I haven't personally checked the event type - but since it isn't a periodic damage spell, I have taken it on trust.

This means affi can do full off-target damage for the entire duration of the shields being up - provided they are not stacking shadow embrace (haunt / shadowbolt will proc) and their pet is not on the shielded mob.
    Destro can run corr + coa, and if you time things can apply immo prior to shield.
    Demo is the same deal, corruption + coa - and keep your cleaving pet away

Quote Originally Posted by myrlock View Post
    I haven't seen anyone post an explicit list - but as of this week - 4.1 - the below is true.

Anything that creates non-periodic damage events will proc the shields, anything that only creates periodic damage events will not. (There was a useful post on these forums about that).

This means applying immolate (an initial spell_damage followed by spell_aura_applied and spell_periodic_damage or w/e it is) will trigger the shields. It being present prior to the shields will *not* trigger, as this is only periodic damage events.

Corr ok.
    CoD is not ok, because it spawns guardians (ebon imps) and these cause direct damage events - the tick itself won't proc the shields, but it isn't worth the risk.
    CoA is ok.
    Curses are of course ok.
    Havoc *WILL* break shields - it causes a corresponding damage event for 15% of every other damage event you do to other targets - periodic or otherwise - I admit to being lazy on this one - I haven't personally checked the event type - but since it isn't a periodic damage spell, I have taken it on trust.

This means affi can do full off-target damage for the entire duration of the shields being up - provided they are not stacking shadow embrace (haunt / shadowbolt will proc) and their pet is not on the shielded mob.
    Destro can run corr + coa, and if you time things can apply immo prior to shield.
    Um... Pretty sure that you are dead wrong :/
    Every dot applied after shield goes up works toward breaking it, all that are applied in before won't. BH can be applied on old one even tho shield is up(?) from my experience and does not break shield (EXCEPT for fire dude)

you stop attacking at 50 energy so the shield doesnt go off

At ~42 energy the bosses shield appears. At approximately ~25 energy the shield goes away. Once the shield is gone it is safe to reapply DoTs to the target who just loss their shield. In fact, some guilds, such as my own, will stack the bosses during this time as to add cleave dmg and move them away when the shield is about to be brought up.

Its pretty simple, always put the active one you are just switching off from on focus and once you see the shield buff running out (1 second left) feel free to reapply dots. This gives you probably only about 10 seconds of dots ticking but there is no way you can screw aything up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Its pretty simple, always put the active one you are just switching off from on focus and once you see the shield buff running out (1 second left) feel free to reapply dots. This gives you probably only about 10 seconds of dots ticking but there is no way you can screw aything up.
    This is what I do. Pretty simple. There's no reason to stop applying dots before maybe 55. I've never had a shield burst from the leftover dot ticks.
    To quote the great sage Ook Ook, "you can take the derk out of the jib, but you shouldn't put the jib in the derk."

How about just trying it? A shield going off is nowhere near enough to cause any trouble on normal mode. On heroic... well, sucks to be in your raid if it backfires, but at least you'll know for sure.

Anyway, our dps just keeps applying new dots until just before 50 and we've never had any issues. I'd say go and try it.

Deleted
    DoT's (Damage over Time) will never proc the shields if applied before the shield goes up.
    If you use DBM you should simply pay attention to the activate timer of the next golem, switch when the time runs out or one sec before, cause the shield will be up around 2 seconds after. As for channeling spells, these does not count as DoT's, but direct hits. Same goes for starfall and other skills like that. So Boomies, unbind starfall, unless you want to wipe your raid with static shock (Elecnotrons shield).

In my experience, Magmatron's shield almost always burst when I left a big Rip on at around 60 energy -- the shield would absorb the damage until it exploded. I had to remember to just NOT put any Rips on past a certain point.

That's the only one that seemed to do that, though. Electron's shield never zapped me, Toxitron's never poisoned me... I don't know if Arcanotron got buffed from my Rip. He might have.

Quote Originally Posted by myrlock View Post

Corr ok.
    CoA is ok.
    Curses are of course ok.

Bane of Havoc is completely safe to use, it won't harm the shields (Magmatron excluded of course).
    I'm not able to find the source currently, but I'm pretty much completely sure that guardians without control tab (Doomguard, infernal, adds from doom, shadow apparitions etc) won't be able to destroy any shields (again Magmatron excluded). What comes to refreshing dots during the shield, that's something I'm not sure of. I'm not refreshing during the shields but it's pretty hard to actually try it out safely so I prefer not to.

you can go crazy multidotting all the bosses(except magma, dot him after shield falls off), regardless of shields, shields do not proc from dot dmg. be carefull not to use soulswap, as it has instant dmg part.
    BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Daewyn View Post
    I'm not able to find the source currently, but I'm pretty much completely sure that guardians without control tab (Doomguard, infernal, adds from doom, shadow apparitions etc) won't be able to destroy any shields (again Magmatron excluded).
    As of last week, I have a log with only shadowpriest guardians and warlock guardians (shadow-copies and ebon imps) hitting the shielded (electon) unit, and blowing the raid up.
    Pretty confident on that - but yes, there is a blue post somewhere I have seen saying this should not be the case. Then again, there is a blue post saying stolen power doesn't affect CoD, and that is no longer the case either, so.. :P

Nice to know about BH being ok, I took that one is on trust since I don't have havoc for it to have ever been an issue, I play affi.

Regarding recasting non-upfront damage spells during shield - (private wol logs - but here is the filter and result - change the name as appropriate and you can confirm for yourself.)

(spell= "Static Shock" and targetName = "Myrlock") or
    (fullType = SPELL_AURA_APPLIED and (spell = "Unstable Shield")) or
    (fullType = SPELL_AURA_REMOVED and (spell = "Unstable Shield")) or
    (sourceName = "Myrlock" and fulltype=SPELL_AURA_APPLIED)

[19:55:30.888] Electron gains Unstable Shield from Electron
    [19:55:38.253] Electron afflicted by Unstable Affliction from Myrlock
    [19:55:40.894] Electron's Unstable Shield fades from Electron
    Last edited by myrlock; 2011-05-24 at 01:55 AM.