10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Archaeology: Hopes for the Future Library

So in the Professions Q&A they mentioned how it is planned for Archaeologists to hand in the trash items we acquire to a Museum rather than vendoring them.

Originally, we didn't intend to create items at all when you completed a normal archaeology find, but that didn't feel right. So now we have these items that still don't feel right because you can't do anything fun with them. We are working on a more thematic and interesting way to consume the artifacts you dig up. These include returning them to the museums (for the devoted archaeologist) and the option to continue vendoring them (if you wish to continue your career as a cold-blooded treasure hunter.)

Additionally, we plan to add daily quests, a deeper story, additional skill gains, and the flexibility to focus on a specific race.
    The question I pose is "what rewards are you hoping for with this addition to the game?".
    Perhaps they will convert to a new Archaeology only currency (think Cooking Awards) giving Archaeologists access to items which improve the Archaeology experience. Items that could include:

1. Teleports you to the dig site.
    2. Re-roll your current dig sites.
    3. Get a 4th dig at a dig site or renew a dig site.
    4. A speed potion that drastically and temporarily increases your flight speed.
    5. Decreased cooldowns or cast time when digging.
    6. Access to the unknown race.

What do you hope for?
    Last edited by the9tail; 2011-05-23 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Meant Museum not Library + Quote
    Adding bewbs to his Avatar since 2011

Super Rare Keystone thats worth like 50 frags would be great IMO.

what do I hope for? the removal of the archaeology profession

Would be cool if you could hand in 1 common artifact for 1 unit of currency and then you could buy a keystone of any race of your choosing for something like 3 or 5 of that currency.

Quote Originally Posted by jpillz View Post
    Would be cool if you could hand in 1 common artifact for 1 unit of currency and then you could buy a keystone of any race of your choosing for something like 3 or 5 of that currency.
    that's not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Apetk View Post
    what do I hope for? the removal of the archaeology profession
    Archaeology isn't that bad, yes it's a bit tedious but some of the rewards are actually pretty cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Updated original post with a blue quote.

The additions of Dailies increases the hope for a Archaeology currency too.

Some of the flavor rewards are fun, and I dig that. I dislike the inclusion of gear as rewards, since they will be outdated in just a few weeks, and the time required for most people to reasonably get them is not worth the reward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klimon View Post
    Some of the flavor rewards are fun, and I dig that. I dislike the inclusion of gear as rewards, since they will be outdated in just a few weeks, and the time required for most people to reasonably get them is not worth the reward.
    It was always my hope that since they are BOA but dont rank up from 0 like heirlooms, that'd they rank up through ilevel through Tier updates.

Quote Originally Posted by klimon View Post
    My guess is they are either going to add more items or upgrade the old ones, else they are in for a lot of rage since archaeology is so time consuming

Quote Originally Posted by Henry7212 View Post
    My guess is they are either going to add more items or upgrade the old ones, else they are in for a lot of rage since archaeology is so time consuming

I don't really think the design lends itself to continual new items. At least not until there is a more reliable way of trying to get the new items, either via racial targetting (which they've mentioned), or an easier way to get the new items if you already have all the old. Perhaps they could make it such that there is a 5-10% chance of a rare dropping, and the rare is pulled from the pool of rares you have left. Right now though, it appears that each rare has a separate chance of dropping, and as you complete rares, since there are fewer to drop, the chance for a rare goes down, down, down. Can you imagine spending all that time with each race *again* just because they add a new item? If you don't do it hardcore, chances are you'll not see equipment rares until they are obsolete.

Of course, the argument can be made that they're supposed to be rare, but to be perfectly honest, from the time I've spend with archaeology, I could have easily farmed the money to buy more BOE 359s than I have gotten out of archy. More by far, so it's defintely *not* an easy path to gear, and I don't think it would be even if they made the choice of your next project such that the equipment were a little easier to get.

Disclaimer: I have the fossil shield (took about 90 fossil solves), the dwarf staff (took 203 dwarf solves), and the Tol'vir ring (not sure how many solves). I currently have about 300 troll solves, but no sword. That's ok though, my main is a mage.