Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

[Books] To Read. Fantasy.

Well pretty much looking for some decent fantasy reads.
    I've read all warcraft and warhammer novels and looking for more of the same.
    Not into sci fi, just regular run o the mill magic, wizards, anyrhing I can relate to similarities in wow.

Yeah read lotr, obv

So over to u guys and gals, thanx

A great, wonderful, amazing series is the legend of Drizzt by R.A.Salvatore. The first trilogy is Icewind Dale Trilogy, but there's a prequel set called the Dark Elf Trilogy. I would suggest starting with Icewind Dale, if only because that has the main set of characters, while the prequel is centered on only one character. So it's a little biased for a new reader. This is my FAVORITE series. And it's still being written, with... so many books out already...

David Eddings' Diamond Throne is awesome. It's the story of an estranged Knight come home after a long banishment to protect his liege from magical danger... GREAT characters. The main character is pure awesome on legs.

And Piers Anthony writes the Xanth novels. They're awesome and hilarious, so if you want some humorous fantasy, that'll do ya.

** edit: If none of those sound appealing, look up the site "what should I read next". <can't post links :< >

You go there, type in the name of a book you love, and it'll try to find similar books based on what actual readers think. It's nifty.
    Last edited by Marintha; 2011-03-02 at 03:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Phil Pullman's Dark Materials is really good. It's a children's fantasy, but it reads like a much darker version of Harry Potter.
    It has some cool steampunk stuff going on too. The guy's a genius.

I've been reading mossflower books for a decent fantasy series. not all magic and wizards, but I still like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you looking for Swords and Sorcery in particular or just general fantasy? It's a pretty broad genre.

The Dark Tower by Stephen King. There is SOME magic in it, but not a lot. Definitely amazing series.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. These are the absolute best fantasy novels ever penned. Do yourself a service and read them immediately!
    Last edited by Zekafein; 2011-03-02 at 09:47 PM.
    He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath—"The horror! The horror!" -Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

eragan is a prty decent book series..dont judge it from the movie the movie was jsut bad ummm
    temeraire is a good fantasy book about dragons

the whole dragonlance chronicals aint too bad

and while its not wizards and stuff Contest is a very good read

Quote Originally Posted by Marintha View Post
    A great, wonderful, amazing series is the legend of Drizzt by R.A.Salvatore. The first trilogy is Icewind Dale Trilogy, but there's a prequel set called the Dark Elf Trilogy. I would suggest starting with Icewind Dale, if only because that has the main set of characters, while the prequel is centered on only one character. So it's a little biased for a new reader. This is my FAVORITE series. And it's still being written, with... so many books out already...
    I love this series. It's definitely my favorite as well.

"The Wheel of Time" series by the late Robert Jordan...

very long, deep, and complicated but worth the time you put into it...

The first book is called "The Eye of the World"

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really enjoying The Sea of Trolls so far, it's heavily based on Norse mythology (and even some history), such as berserkers, Odin, Valhalla, Thor, etc...

It's a 3 part series written by Nancy Farmer.

The first book in the series is called "The Sea of Trolls".

I'm going to share a dirty secret with you:

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Possibly one of the better series you will ever read. The sequel to the series The Law of Nines is AMAZING as well!

10+ Year Old Account
    The Blade Itself by Joe Ambercrombie. His characterizations are nothing short of brilliant. I HIGHLY recommend it if you're looking for fantasy characters with a lot of humanity and charm.
    Warcraft Soundtrack project, bringing new music to old dungeons! Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/user/WowSoundtrackProject
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...k-project.aspx

Anything in the Dragonlance series is absolutely amazing, if you ask me. I would start with the original chronicles (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning) and then move on to the trilogy about the twins, Raistlin and Caramon (Time of the Twins, War of the Twins, and Test of the Twins). It's a lot of reading, but if you do, you'll love the dragonlance series for a long time.

Go with A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. I have read many of the other suggestions on here and by far these blow everything else away. I now measure everything I read by these books, and they are going to be a miniseries on HBO starting April 17. Check the trailers. The Steven Erickson books about the Malazan Empire are good also, just a little different writing style. OOOHHHH and also check out "The Name of the wind". I forget the authors name but incredible book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisud View Post
    Anything in the Dragonlance series is absolutely amazing, if you ask me. I would start with the original chronicles (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning) and then move on to the trilogy about the twins, Raistlin and Caramon (Time of the Twins, War of the Twins, and Test of the Twins). It's a lot of reading, but if you do, you'll love the dragonlance series for a long time.
    I agree with this one. Dragonlance is truly amazing indeed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anything by Eddings, especially the Belgariad and the Malloreon (two series of five books each set in the same world with the same characters), and of course ASoIaF by George RR Martin.

@ lowdownndirty: The Name of the Wind was written by Patrick Rothfuss, and I agree, it's one of the best fantasy books I've ever read. It's just the first part of a trilogy though, he's currently working on part 2. Definitely recommend that one.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

yeah I'd have to give my endorsements too for R.A Salvatore all his books are page turners, love them all i have only read a few cuz there is like 50 of them, not all in the same series though, dude has been writing since the 80's his early renditions of Forgotten Realms is what caused D&D to become the powerhouse of gaming that it is now, along with a few others of course..but if someone mentions D&D i instantly think of R.A Salvatore, his work is legendary, and his character Drizzt (spelling) is also legendary, Drizzt and The underdark go hand in hand, for sure

Forgotten Realms as a place setting in general is fascinating reading, if you can get any of the D&D books or the Forgotten Realms handbook, there is tons of lore and interesting story to be had in it, and if you play D&D, its always good fun to write your own story, i had a pretty good campaign for the underdark at one point, but RL and wow and other things in my life left it on the shelf, another project that sits unfinished..but i do read/write from time to time.

On a sorta related note.....

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an epic, open-world role-playing game set in Amalur, a mysterious and magical new fantasy world created by New York Times best-selling author R. A. Salvatore. Brought to life visually through the trademark visceral style of renowned artist and Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, Reckoning brings a new level of intense action combat to the RPG genre.

The game is being developed under the leadership of Ken Rolston, lead designer of the critically acclaimed RPGs Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

so new RPG this year with the man 3 man dream team, going to be pretty sick for sure! also Salvatore is heading up a remake of Neverwinter Nights, not developed by Bioware, with full story by the man himself, and is simply called Neverwinter...it will continue the story of the legendary city, and will be an single player and online co-op action rpg based on 4th edition ruleset (he has a book that comes out in october 2011 which backstories the game)

10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished again with the Dragons of the Spring Dawning, so yes have to agree with Dragon Lance beign awesome.

I would have to recommend The Belgariad too. Since its my all time favourite and I've read it trough atleast.... 50times and more.
    Someone else mentioned David Eddings Diamond throne, wich is also pretty cool serie.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer are really good. I haven't read the most recent one but those books are the first series I ever got really in to lol.

My most recent favorite though, is the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristen Cast. It's like Twilight meets Harry Potter...in a good way lol. Its about a girl that becomes a vampire (not a stereotypical vampire but not like fairy-vampire like in Twilight). The series gets better and better as it progresses.
    Quote Originally Posted by entick View Post
    Trying to stop [trolls] in trade chat is like trying to empty the ocean with a fork.