Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The demon awakens 7 book series starting with The Demon Awakens by RA Salvatore is the best series I ever read.

Close behind would be the 25 plus book series of Drizzt Do'Urden and forgotten realms, he's widely regarded as one of the most beloved fantasy characters of all time, though unlike the second poster i recommend starting with the Dark Elf Trilogy and the birth of Drizzt, not only is Homeland incredible in itself but it'll help you understand the world and character better.

Third anything by David Gemmel, Legend is where I started and then went back and read everything he ever wrote, all the Druss novels, All the Waylander novels, fantastic series by a sadly passed writer.

You can read Robert Jordan and his wheel of time series, they're interesting but didn't grab me the way they should have, possibly because he died before completing it.

I would also say The Name of the Wind is a must read. Also, the second novel (The Wise Man's Fear) just came out today. NotW is one of my favorite books . It's about a man, who is something of a living legend, telling the story of his life over three days. A few others people already recommended that I also suggest are A Song of Ice and Fire (ASoIF) and all the books by Joe Abercrombie.

Also, I would recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch to anyone who hasn't read it. It's really one of the best fantasy books in a while in my opinion. It's sort of Oceans Eleven in a fantasy setting. There's also a sequel: Red Seas Under Red Skies with a third book possibly coming out this year (Republic of Thieves).

there's quite alot out there, Dragonlance, alread said, but are win. Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay, its aclaimed to be the best single volume fantasy book by critics. Some of tolkiens other works, Children of Hurin, the Hobbit, etc. The Icemark Chronicles are also really good...and ya

Quote Originally Posted by Conno View Post
    The demon awakens 7 book series starting with The Demon Awakens by RA Salvatore is the best series I ever read.

Close behind would be the 25 plus book series of Drizzt Do'Urden and forgotten realms, he's widely regarded as one of the most beloved fantasy characters of all time, though unlike the second poster i recommend starting with the Dark Elf Trilogy and the birth of Drizzt, not only is Homeland incredible in itself but it'll help you understand the world and character better.

Third anything by David Gemmel, Legend is where I started and then went back and read everything he ever wrote, all the Druss novels, All the Waylander novels, fantastic series by a sadly passed writer.

You can read Robert Jordan and his wheel of time series, they're interesting but didn't grab me the way they should have, possibly because he died before completing it.
    There are only two writers that i've read every word they've ever written.

R.A Salvatore
    and
    David Gemmel,

if you can get anything by those i'd recommend it heartily.

Malazan Book Of The Fallen by Steven Erikson is a pretty awesome series.

One of the best books ive read, Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

My favorite fantasy series is A Song of Ice and Fire by George rr Martin. Deep characters, a rich and envolving plot, and he actually tries to develop a unique story. Excellently developed on all angles, but I fear he might be going on a bit too long for his own good. However Martin does something few, if any, fantasy authors have done. He has developed a voice of his own. When you read Martin, you can tell it is him. His style is relatively unique, and he does not fall trap to being overly detailed. Sadly the fantasy genre is riddled with hacks who just copy the Tolkein-esque/ romantic formula of writing.

Robert Jordan is decent, but sadly towards the end of his life he became long winded and fluffy. As callous as it may sound, I think his death gave the series a well needed boost. I've enjoyed the two most recent books far more then the five previous books penned by Jordan. The first half of the series though? Gold. The Battle of Domari Wells (I think that's its name... its been quite some time... the first major battle with Asha'man participation) is ingrained in my memory. The characters tend to be wishy washy though, a lot of character backsliding.

I would avoid anything Terry Goodkind wrote, except the first book in the Sword of Truth series. That book was fairly entertaining, and he attempted to break the mold. But then everything after was rubbish. The first book - Wizards First Rule, if I remember correctly... managed to maintain a seriousness and decent story while being lighthearted and humorous. And sometimes a bit more adult. Which is a good thing in a genre dominated by authors who normally write for thirteen year olds. Unfortunately, everything that made him unique was abolished with the rest of the series. Combined with most of the books sharing roughly the same motiffs, themes, and rudimentary plot... all the characters developing the exact same way in every book... it gets old fast, and really by the end of the second book you've read everything you've needed to read.

Although not traditional fantasy - Gaiman is excellent. Good Omens is one of my favorite pieces of modern fantasy. And I can't mention Gaiman and Good Omens without mentioning the true fantasy master - Terry Pratchett. Although his newer writing isn't quite as amazing (and truly, who can expect it to be? The man isn't able to write on his own anymore... the fact that he still puts out work that puts almost every other fantasy author to shame is a testament to his greatness) but he is still worth a read.

Peirs Anthony is excellent, but I believe a bit juvenile. I could be off on this - last time I read him I was about 12 and felt he was aimed for children. But, I was 12. I know many adults who love his work. Unfortunately, biases of children tend to turn into biases of adults. I do remember he created a rich, fantastic world that was bizarre and amazing. Not just another Middle earth.

Someone recommended Stephen King's the Dark Tower series. They were great until... the fifth I believe? And then King inserting himself as one of the primary characters? That was at best groan worthy. I actually had to stop reading it got so bad. Talk about masturbatory bs. I did finish the series, but I felt dirty. Just... so dirty.

King also co-wrote a book called The Dark Talisman, that was really good. From what I remember. Sadly it didn't leave a huge mark in my brain, so it couldn't have been excellent. But I remember it being enjoyable.

Drizzt and the Dragonlance books are both decent. Nothing too serious about them, and I wouldn't hold them up as pinnacles of the genre - but they are solid, fun reads. Just nothing to write home about. Props for helping shape some amazing D&D campaign settings though.

I keep hearing good things about Ambercrombie and some other fantasy author who's name eludes me. I will check them out someday soon.
    Last edited by fadingintofall; 2011-03-02 at 04:55 AM. Reason: accidentally posted. wooops.
    'Cause what the world needs now
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.

Really, really long but worth it is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Jordan died before finishing it but left enough notes and partial material for the very capable Brandon Sanderson to finish it. It gets a bit slow in the middle, but take comfort in the fact that you can just go buy the next book... some of us waited years in between them. Now on book 12/13, book 13 should be out in a year or so.

For Urban fantasy the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is tons of fun. Harry Dresden is Chicago's only professional wizard, and the whole thing reads like Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Sam Spade. Butcher also did a High Fantasy series called the Furies of Calderon which is quite good (though I prefer the Dresden Files).

Let's see.... Currently reading the most recent book in the Green Riders series by Kristen Britain, not bad at all... Anything by is Neil Gaimen is probably worth a read, his collaboration with Terry Prachet, Good Omens, while not exactly fantasy, is hysterical. Anything by Mercedes Lackey is likely to be entertaining. Not great, but entertaining.

I'll comment on some other people's ideas:

Dark Materials is excellent. Highly recommended. For that matter, Harry Potter is fun. Not great literature, but fun.

The Dritz stuff isn't bad, in my opinion it gets a little slow. Dritz is sorta Superman, he never really meets a challenge he can't cut to pieces. I can see why people like it, but I got bored with it. To each their own.

David Eddings stuff is quite good. Once. Pick one of his series, and read it. Read another if you like, but they're essentially all the same. He's recycled the same basic characters and stories for four or five series now. Don't get me wrong, they're good characters and stories. By all means read one of his series. You just really don't need to read more than one.

The original Dragonlance Chronicles were good. After that Dragonlance got spotty. The books are written by a variety of authors with varying levels of skill. Some are downright horrible, others are nearly as good as the originals. Buyer beware. Definitely recommend the original "Chronicles" books though.

I used to be a big fan of Piers Anthony, but we drifted apart. Xanath just got a little *too silly* for my tastes.

Eragon isn't terrible. It's the author's first series and he's *very* young. I didn't hate the books, but I do feel there's better out there.

Dark Tower is decent, but flirts between fantasy and horror. King's Eyes of the Dragon is the only full Fantasy he ever wrote to my knowledge.

Haven't read Mossflower or the George RR Martin book. In general Martin Is a well respect author, but I can't quite get into him. Another "to each his own" thing I suspect.

Have fun! Reading is a better hobby than video games, though both are fun. I love WoW, but nothing really really gets me going like a good book (about half my guild almost went on strike when the latest Wheel of Time book released on raid night).

Edit to add: Oh! Artemis Fowl! thanks for reminding me. Children's Fiction again, but *fun*. Tons of fun. Good catch. I really need to pick up Way of Kings. I love Sanderson's take on the WoT, I'm sure I'll like his personal stuff.
    Last edited by DrgnDancer; 2011-03-02 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekafein View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. These are the absolute best fantasy novels ever penned. Do yourself a service and read them immediately!
    ABSOLUTELY! Other ones mentioned are great as well, especially the Drizzt series by Salvatore and His Dark Materials by Pullman, but A Song of Ice and Fire is by far the best fantasy series I have ever read.

Oh almost forgot, all the books from the Shannara series by Terry Brooks as well as the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, great fantasy spin on real world history. The Napoleonic wars....but with Dragons!
    Last edited by Throren; 2011-03-02 at 04:54 AM.

You want a LORD of the Rings type of adventure read all of the Dragonlance books ....but I highly recommend the book Legend of Huma ...such an awesome book !

I would like to give a voice to Terry Brooks, his series are very intressting (atleast they are for me) both the Shannara books (read 8 of them) and I'm currently reading the Landover series, (First book is called: Magical Kingdom Landover for sale/sold!) and I just can't put the books down, also Pratchett is nice, but not exactlly fantasy per say, but it's still a good read

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Yes, yes we are. Beakfest(sic) and personal hygiene mean nothing in the face of an xpac. Having a job is overrated... Game or die.

THE

DEATH

GATE

CYCLE

seven books. super epic. Margret Weiss. Tracy Hickman. Such a twist that make you go 'bwaaa?".

its the most epic thing you'll ever read and i suggest the series to anyone who ever asks this question and i dont think they take me seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeneye7 View Post
    One of the best books ive read, Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
    The Way of Kings was simply amazing for me. Some of Sanderson's other works haven't appealed to me as much, but this one really hit the spot. Additionally, the Drizzt series is another good one. I started with the Crystal Shard and have worked my way through just about all of the novels.

Roger Zelazny's Amber Chronicles are excellent fantasy. The first 50 pages of book 1 are the best beginning to a series that I have personally read.

Wizard's First Rule
    Such feeble minds..

Oooh Terry Brooks! I forgot about him, haven't read his stuff since grade school. Good reads.
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHollowVeteran View Post
    The Bible.
    no no no, he said decent books. The bible does not hold up as literature in the least.
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by fadingintofall View Post
    no no no, he said decent books. The bible does not hold up as literature in the least.

^ haha this