Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    When looking at articles like these, you have to keep in mind that cancer isn't a disease. A disease is an affliction that has an etiology. An etiology is a linear A > B progression of events that is repeatable in any lab, anywhere when a root causal agent (many times via a vector) induces a specific and predictable change in a cell or host.

You have to remember that the body, naturally and normally, produces cancer cells, which upwards of 99% of the time are not malignant, that (the various types of) t-cells then work to contain.

For reasons unknown (but thought to be triggered by bacterium) these cancer cells metastasize, become uncontrollable by t-cells, and cause a chain reaction. There will most likely never be a cure or prophylaxis for cancer, since it's not a disease.

Anyone asking for money for cancer research is (probably) running a scam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    The very statement "a cure for cancer" as a generalisation is frowned upon by medics - you will never find "a cure for cancer" given the broadside statement, we already have "cures" for several "cancers" - but there is no one miracle drug which will cure the thousands of types of cancer out there, never mind the fact that every cancer has several grades & severities. The rumor of this "miracle cure" has floated around for years, but it's as likely to happen as proof of intelligent life on Mars - just not happening!
    No it's just taking so long because it's had to be done by independent studies, again see soul-less bastards as to why.
    You're not really understanding what the person you're responding to is saying.

He's not saying there aren't potential cures out there, he's saying there will never be ONE "miracle cure" that eliminates all cancers because "cancer" is a category of diseases, not a single illness. Because cancer has a variety of causes, manifestations, and different cancers react differently to different treatments, beating cancer means finding cures not cure.

DCA might be a cure for some cancers, but we won't know until there are actually studies done on it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

You might be surprised to know that the "cure for cancer" has existed for millions of years and you can find the cure in your garden. Although not truthfully a cure for cancer, a balanced diet consisting primarily of fruits and vegetables has been demonstrated to dramatically reduce the incidence of a plethora of human ailments.

Quote Originally Posted by Purrfunctory View Post
    You might be surprised to know that the "cure for cancer" has existed for millions of years and you can find the cure in your garden. Although not truthfully a cure for cancer, a balanced diet consisting primarily of fruits and vegetables has been demonstrated to dramatically reduce the incidence of a plethora of human ailments.
    Cure != preventative measures

10+ Year Old Account
    Eating healthy is a good idea, but it's not a guaranteed prevention for cancer and it's certainly not a cure. There are so many variables out there that influence these things. Some cancers are caused by genes, some by viruses, etc. Eating healthy will have minimal impact on those, if any at all.

That said, there are plenty of general health benefits to healthy living, so it is still a good idea.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Just like the hippie activists saying that pot is a cure for cancer and the reason it's not legal is because it's not able to be taxed or whatever. Seriously, have more faith in the government that spoonfeeds you.

No patent means no drug company is going to waste their money on clinical trials so some other drug company can make the profit off of it. Doctors wont use it because it hasnt been clinically tested for this use, hence would have to be prescribed for off use... and 90% of doctors wouldnt know how to write a prescription unless the drug is listed on a pen in their office somewhere.

The cure for cancer is Chuck Norris' tears.... Hasn't this already been established?...

To bad he never cried......

(Sorry I had to)

I personally would think they would make pills not say whats in them and charge a fortune i doubt anyone is going to look at a dieing loved one and say " i think 200000$ is a little much cmon you can hold think out until a cheap cure comes out

Quote Originally Posted by JollyJoe View Post
    Cure != preventative measures
    I would comment but you would fail to read that as well.

---------- Post added 2011-05-23 at 07:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Eating healthy is a good idea, but it's not a guaranteed prevention for cancer and it's certainly not a cure. There are so many variables out there that influence these things. Some cancers are caused by genes, some by viruses, etc. Eating healthy will have minimal impact on those, if any at all.

That said, there are plenty of general health benefits to healthy living, so it is still a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I'll say I'm skeptical, to say the least. I doubt there will ever be "a" cure for cancer, because despite a singular label it's really a multitude of diseases with each pathology being a little different due to the location of the body, which mutations were involved, and so forth. While there are certain broken genes that are shared in a large number of cancers, I'm not sure if all of them share a common substrate beyond "cell growth that is not properly regulated."
    You've got it exactly right. The instant someone says "cure for cancer" (singular), it should be dismissed immediately. Just as you said, every cancer is different from another, and no single cure will work for them all. A cure for breast cancer very well make a skin cancer patient have worse problems simply because the treatments target different areas in the body. Any treatment that could target all areas of the body at once would kill a person.

10+ Year Old Account

---------- Post added 2011-05-23 at 07:04 PM ----------

Maybe this is a clue that you shouldn't write two contradictory statements in a single post if you're going to get upset that the line people responded to wasn't the one you wanted them to.

Or you could just clarify what you mean. There's no need for snarky responses.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Maybe this is a clue that you shouldn't write two contradictory statements in a single post if you're going to get upset that the line people responded to wasn't the one you wanted them to.

Or you could just clarify what you mean. There's no need for snarky responses.
    My statement was very clear. You should return to school.

Mod Warning: Stop the personal attacks.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-05-25 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
    No patent means no drug company is going to waste their money on clinical trials so some other drug company can make the profit off of it. Doctors wont use it because it hasnt been clinically tested for this use, hence would have to be prescribed for off use... and 90% of doctors wouldnt know how to write a prescription unless the drug is listed on a pen in their office somewhere.
    This line of thought needs to stop immediately. If this was the case that they can't patent something so they don't want to touch it is bullshit. HOW DO COMPANIES SELL BOTTLED WATER?! There is no patent and yet they make lots of money.

It's more of an assistant to help with other treatments and not an actual "kills all cancers by itself" cure. Far from it - but it can still help people. It just doesn't have any privatized funding because they cannot patent dichloroacetic acid and therefore cannot market it. This research relies on public and government funding.

Sounds like walmart treatment if its that cheap
    Ben Kenobi "This isn't the signature you are looking for."

Deleted
    Well I don't know if that's THE CURE for cancer, but it's one of the competitors still and I hope it will work somehow, that one will find a way soon, if they haven't already.
    I have also read about a cure to some types of cancers and also diseases like multiple schlerosis, something called 714-X. Now I have no clue if this one or the one you put links too are real or not.

The thing is that it's a good placebo for patients nevertheless if it doesn't work. I belive it should be used besides conventional treatments too, not cutting those fully. But like I said, even if it doesn't work, trying it is good for morale if you can afford, in the end you have more chances of being cured!

Quote Originally Posted by Royalcrown View Post
    Honestly, with how things are today, i wouldnt doubt if there was a cure to cancer and not announced due to being unprofitable. I also believe the same for AIDS. Pharmaceutical companies are just corporate drug dealers.
    Unfortunately that's true. It's sad to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    What about healthcare? Insurance companies profit if you get well cheaper and faster, they should have interest in easier and cheaper treatments and are pretty big themselves
    It doesn't really work like that. It doesn't matter if insurance companies invest in cures if the major chains of pharmaceutical companies hide them. It's an eternal battle on who wins, the problem is that pharmaceutical companies got the head start so they have more power and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy1346 View Post
    rofl!!!!! thank you for the laughs. lmfao
    There are cures for many diseases widespread in Africa yet they aren't given to the population since the pharmaceutical companies don't want to lower the prices even if the production costs are lower then what they sell them for. Think about that then tell me if it's still funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Versedian View Post
    Can someone educate me in something? My grandmother has been fighting cancer the last decade with 8 years in-between of remission (1 year on, 8 years off 1 year on) remission is saying the cancer is gone yes? yet it returns? is this "Cure" somehow eliminating the return or only helping beind the patient in remission?

Sorry for grammar mistakes, misspelling or anything of the sort.. I'm working on it. Also I was unable to read the articles as I am limited on time currently.
    Actually from what I know remission means the cancer cells are shrinking in numbers or in case of a tumor it itself is shrinking. It usually shrinks until you can't see it anymore. It does not mean it's fully gone however as some cells might survive and then multiply again, the problem is that if even 1 infected malign cell survives, it's kindof bad. I do hope your grandmother will get better though. Is she doing chemo or trying other stuff too?

Not in the current world where many of those are genetically altered, sprayed with insecticides and grown artificially so that it looks ready when it's not or to modify taste etc. This is common practice where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Necro View Post
    Just like the hippie activists saying that pot is a cure for cancer and the reason it's not legal is because it's not able to be taxed or whatever. Seriously, have more faith in the government that spoonfeeds you.
    Actually as far as I know they prescribe pot to those patients with horrible pains instead of traditional medicine. Most times they're also prescribed to people with terminal diseases too to "make them happy" so to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw people talking about it on facebook, and how they were bashing the pharmaceutical companies on how they werent funding a project like this because they see Money > Helping people (which they do). But the main issue here is obvious, lack of proper sources says everything. This website said these people did this. thats it. Reliable? I dont think so. Saying you "cured" cancer is a very bold statement, and you better have a lot to back yourself up.
    WoW
    Social Life
    Enough Sleep

You can pick only 2.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If that's true; Lets hope it doesn't turn into a

I-AM-LEGEND virus thingie

Quote Originally Posted by Bromance22 View Post
    I saw people talking about it on facebook, and how they were bashing the pharmaceutical companies on how they werent funding a project like this because they see Money > Helping people (which they do). But the main issue here is obvious, lack of proper sources says everything. This website said these people did this. thats it. Reliable? I dont think so. Saying you "cured" cancer is a very bold statement, and you better have a lot to back yourself up.
    It's more simple than that. They can't sell it because they can't patent it, so they can't profit from it. That's why they won't fund it because of the hundreds of millions of dollars required to get it through the full testing and no compensation for all that work. It's also not known how well it will work on humans, either.