Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    wouldn't that wipe my harddrive? And would it work even though I can't get into my computer?
    No it wouldn't wipe your hard drive.
    And set your DvD/CD drive as your boot drive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    Yeah, I love Alienware. Dell is just unpleasant to deal with though. Thanks for the opinions, though asking a friend his school provides a few Windows 7 Download, so I'll try that. I appreciate the help
    What you don't enjoy calling their phone support and talking to Frank who can barely speak English because he is in a call center deep within India? Like someone else mentioned, you could always try to use Respawn which in theory should have came with your Alienware, at least it did with my desktop. I haven't had to use it though so I can't claim to know what it will do to any data you want to attempt to save.

Ill try the reinstallation disk then and report back with the results

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using an alienware laptop too and I've had no end of issues. If you got a warrenty, its worth the hassle of the telephone system. Once you finally get through to the right person its worth your while. I had major issues with my graphics card (Peaking at 107C) which got replaced the next day.
    Are you sure you got all the latest drivers for everything. I'm sure everyones said this but most problems are caused by driver issues, especially the kind your talking about.

If you don't have an alienrespawn disc it means you have a partition on your harddrive with it on it. Or it should do if they installed your system correctly. It's better to get through to the alienware technicians and have them guide you through it though.

Finally, make sure your computer isn't trying to run in "stealth mode". Basically cuts your cpu down to the bare minimum in an attempt to reduce noise and battery use. What it actually ends up doing is making even opening an explorer window take about 5mins. If your command centre is down just search on google (if your browser opens) for stealth toggle switch for alienware. Should sort you out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nition View Post
    I'm using an alienware laptop too and I've had no end of issues. If you got a warrenty, its worth the hassle of the telephone system. Once you finally get through to the right person its worth your while. I had major issues with my graphics card (Peaking at 107C) which got replaced the next day.
    Are you sure you got all the latest drivers for everything. I'm sure everyones said this but most problems are caused by driver issues, especially the kind your talking about.

If you don't have an alienrespawn disc it means you have a partition on your harddrive with it on it. Or it should do if they installed your system correctly. It's better to get through to the alienware technicians and have them guide you through it though.

Finally, make sure your computer isn't trying to run in "stealth mode". Basically cuts your cpu down to the bare minimum in an attempt to reduce noise and battery use. What it actually ends up doing is making even opening an explorer window take about 5mins. If your command centre is down just search on google (if your browser opens) for stealth toggle switch for alienware. Should sort you out.
    No one said this because it's false... It's his copy of Windows' issue. Drivers wouldn't keep him from booting in safe mode.
    (GG on reading the whole thread.)

I just want to take a second to say AVG is a TRASH antivirus. I do not recommend using it to anyone who has an extra $30 bucks to spend on something better. I am not saying this is your issue but seriously AVG is crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    No one said this because it's false... It's his copy of Windows' issue. Drivers wouldn't keep him from booting in safe mode.
    (GG on reading the whole thread.)
    Ye, sorry, I only read the original post, not all the ones after

---------- Post added 2011-05-24 at 11:58 AM ----------

Although some of the other stuff I said is actually relevent. If he doesnt have a respawn disc it will be in a partition on his harddrive.

Secondly, If your contacting the right people, the alienware technical support is swedish, from what I can tell by the accents and is fine to understand. You just have to persever. As long as you got your 'Service Tag' and when you talk to someone you ask for technical support for alienwares you'll get through to the right people.

Okay so it turned out to be a hard drive failure, resulting in my computer not even being able to boot. I am currently ready to purchase a new one, thanks for the help and suggestions, ill report back if the new hard drive does not fix the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    That might do it too. >.<

Good news! The replacement hard drive was the issue after all. After giving it a nice Western Digital one, and after manually installing all of my drivers from dell.com my computer is working just as well as it did before. Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate your time given to respond to my post.

10+ Year Old Account
    if the OP can't figure out his current problem on his own, an OEM copy is a really bad idea

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    if the OP can't figure out his current problem on his own, an OEM copy is a really bad idea
    He resolved it. It was his hard drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    He resolved it. It was his hard drive.
    its what i get for not reading through the whole thread