Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If you wanna do some fun martial art, try out Capoeira!
    It is absolutely awesome, you mix kicks and foot techniques with acrobatics, music and rythm.
    I liked it, because even if you are a beginner you wont get beaten up, most of the moves are with your legs, and its more of an action-reaction game. You evade and dodge mostly, not stopping kicks. And if you dont believe its useful, yes, ive seen the top guy in my class, who was about 2 meters and quite muscular flying out above my fkin head about one and a half meters away... the master asked him ( who is barely 160 cm) if he wants it faster a bit than what speed he plays with us. Well... that was epic ownage imo

If you dont like it, try wing chun... you can see the movie Ip-man about it. one of the most disciplined martial art out.

"Live without regrets"

I have been practicing Jiu Jitsu for the past 16 years and I have to say I have never gotten bored.

A Martial Arts must be something that appeals to you, so if it's not fun in the beginning, give it some time, maybe a month, or watch the black belts/higher Kyu do their thing and see if the future prospect is enjoyable to you. Now, from what I've read you seem to be someone who would throughly enjoy Muay Thai (Can be spelled many different ways). It is a good blend of stand up fighting, sparring, as well as some take downs, but not as much as, say, Jiu Jitsu or Judo.

If in the end, this does not suit you, I also recommend trying Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Grappling ( ground fighting) is not something most people think of, but it is often a good choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abaraion View Post
    Hey guys

I've tried out Jiu Jitsu and Karate over the past Year, but neither of them really fascinated me. Yes, I know, I've only been there like three times, but I got bored very quickly.
    So here's my question: What kind of martial Arts could I start picking up?

To me:
    I'm 20 year old
    male
    I work out ~3x 2h per week, so I have a basic fitness and strength of some sort

I would prefer a fast-paced, fun martial art that also involves striking and especially striking techniques, but also tricky moves like you see them in Judo.
    Does something like that exist?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    By the way, just so it has been said, I do NOT plan on roughing up anyone outside a competition or training.
    Learn Capoeira.
    I mean fighting, not just playing around with backflips and whatnot...
    If you master Capoeira, the hardest of all to truly master, you'll be pretty much untouchable.

You could say Capoeira has a veeery high "skill cap" that is limited only by your brain.

The concept of Capoeira is to constantly elude your opponent, make him unsure of how you'll attack - and you have a zillion feints - and attacking while avoiding direct hits at the same time.
    To do this you need to be able to read your opponent very well and be very creative.
    ---
    An easier goal, that also has a high skill cap, is Muay Thai.
    Most Muay Thai fighters use less than 25% of its arsenal - big mistake.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2011-05-25 at 12:44 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Kendo for discipline and Krav Maga for real world unarmed fighting.

Learn to use a gun and you are now fully schooled.

Deleted
    I think you would like Jeet Kune Do youtube.com/watch?v=3NWc33qQnqU

Deleted

asd

MMA or Krav Maga, both are fullcontact, personally I train krav maga and I love it, it's very rough, and to me Ju jitsu felt more like dancing a ballet sometimes, it was kinda not great compared to the street fighting self defense theme Krav Maga has.
    Last edited by Radux; 2011-06-06 at 11:35 PM. Reason: sneaky mod edit

Muay Thai.

And if you've only been to a jiu jitsu class 3 times, of course you're bored. It takes going 3+ times per week for 8-10 years to obtain a black belt... If you want to learn an art thats fun that you can practice with minimal risk for injury, Jiu Jitsu is the way to go..

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 12:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by faetter View Post
    MMA or Krav Maga, both are fullcontact, personally I train krav maga and I love it, it's very rough, and to me Ju jitsu felt more like dancing a ballet sometimes, it was kinda gay compared to the street fighting self defense theme Krav Maga has.
    What kind of jiu jitsu did you take, lol? Take gracie jiu jitsu from a certified instructor and it certainly won't feel like ballet... gracie bjj teaches you EVERYTHING from a self defense stand point.. Sounds to me like you learned from a sport jiu jitsu instructor, and yea that shit is pretty useless on the street.
    "Master of the Green Beam"

FrosDKong, Healakong, Pallykong

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by faetter View Post
    MMA or Krav Maga, both are fullcontact, personally I train krav maga and I love it, it's very rough, and to me Ju jitsu felt more like dancing a ballet sometimes, it was kinda gay compared to the street fighting self defense theme Krav Maga has.
    Krav Maga is the best fighting style at the moment but it's very, "real world" only and as you said, very brutal.

This is why I always recomend Kendo first, it's the most disciplined and honorable style. Combine the two with being able to acurately fire weapons and you have everything you need to know irl and to move forward into more subtle fighting styles ment to entertain.

What style in karate did you test?

I would recomend Kyokushin karate

OSU!
    Last edited by zuttos; 2011-05-25 at 01:14 PM.

I highly recommend Jeet Kune Do. It's the martial art created by Bruce Lee! The man who owned Chuck Norris in a fight! Do not listen to these people who say "learn this because it's best for irl fighting". What utter nonsense. You should not use what you learn for real world fighting unless you need to and all martial arts equip you with the ability to handle yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by iHeal View Post
    1. Pay for Kung-Fu
    2. L2Kung-fu
    3. Get a radio which can play cd roms or whatever
    4. Go out on town and start a fight.
    5. Put on everybody was Kung-fu fighting
    6. ???
    7. Profit
    Very funny mate, well done.

Deleted
    It all depends on what you want to learn a martial art for. Sport, art, self-defense? Maybe you just want it, because you think it will let you do that same 'cool' stuff as in the movies...

If you become bored that fast, there will be NO martial art that can give you what you want. Every single martial art known to man will take years to master. The martial part shows that it was meant for war. Face to face combat where you had only two choices, live or die. So as it was a life or death issue, getting bored was irrelevant and maybe even dangerous.

The only advice I could give you is that you would first have to figure out what you really want from this.
    There's no 'best' martial art, but some are specifically designed for certain body types. There are many differences and many things the same across the board. Read about it, visit different schools, talk to people that have trained in more than one martial art.

The most powerful weapon is your own mind and I think thats your first and biggest issue at the moment. Work hard on that and you'll have a much larger chance at finding the right martial art.

There have been a lot of interesting martial arts that have been mentioned in this thread that I am familiar with, and am quite happy to see such diversity on this forum.

As for a martial art, I've been doing Brazilian Jujitsu for some time (6 years +) and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone, it is pretty much like a human game of chess, there are some crazy moves as you suggested you were looking for, but it is not striking, it is grappling based and all about ground fighting. Its easy to learn, impossible to master....

If striking is really what you are after, I would suggest Muay Thai, its pretty good fun, only trained it a little bit so don't know it that well.

As for MMA, it is exactly as its title, Mixed martial arts, it combines the best qualities from the most effective martial arts, and combines them to make the 'fighter' more complete. There are also some more traditional martial arts that are getting a spotlight within MMA, that if anything, add unpridictability and gives you a very unorthadox way of fighting, which can be very effective.

Either way, you should just pick one you haven't tried, and go for it, if you don't like it, find another, they all have things that are effective, and things that are not.

Let us know what you choose, and how it went for you

dont know about you, but drunken style sounds the funnest

Simple answer MMA!

Why ?

Cause you don't even need to train in MMA at an MMA facility =O "Oh noh he didn't!!!" "Oh yes I didz!!"

At the training centre I go to which happens to be one of the best 2 in QLD Aus it is called an MMA gym but in reality they train...

MMA - Broad subject basically taking a bit from all the other arts listed below.
    Muay Thai - Focus on kicking clinch and elbows
    boxing - Focus on using yours hands
    Wrestling - Focus on takedowns and takedown defence along with slams and some submissions
    BJJ - Focus on groundwork mainly submissions
    Karate - Focus on standing, mostly kicking orientented, also focus on staying on your feet (no kata crap)
    judo - Focus on throws and submissions
    Fitness - Well focus on fitness
    Adv Fitness - Well its the advanced fitness class

As you can see by just GOING to an MMA gym there are a VAST amount of arts one can practice and the BEST part of it all is that there is no BULLSHIT in it, one of the things that annoys me about some arts is the 'forms' I mean sure I am respectful and all towards people and there styles but I have a realistic approach towards martial arts and your not going to perform some weird ass hand waving technique b4 going toe to toe with someone that wants your wallet.

Many many art specific schools lay claim to there art being the 1 and all best, while they should say something like this (cause its business after all) it can lead novices to believe in them and in tern just waste a lot of money in the process or more importantly TIME! you can earn your money back but you will NEVER EVER get your TIME back! Generally the more older/traditional schools cling to there arts as the be all and end all of martial arts something bruce lee endeavoured to actually prove wrong or rite.

Its as real as it gets!

10+ Year Old Account
    mma! mixed martial arts

15+ Year Old Account
    Hapkido and Kendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Abaraion View Post
    Hey guys

I've tried out Jiu Jitsu and Karate over the past Year, but neither of them really fascinated me. Yes, I know, I've only been there like three times, but I got bored very quickly.
    So here's my question: What kind of martial Arts could I start picking up?

To me:
    I'm 20 year old
    male
    I work out ~3x 2h per week, so I have a basic fitness and strength of some sort

I would prefer a fast-paced, fun martial art that also involves striking and especially striking techniques, but also tricky moves like you see them in Judo.
    Does something like that exist?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    By the way, just so it has been said, I do NOT plan on roughing up anyone outside a competition or training.
    You also need to address WHY you want to do martial arts ?

Martial arts has evolved LOADS since the 'old days' and there generally divided into 3 sub areas

Soft & Hard & Lethal styles...

Soft styles like Tai Chi would generally be trained primarily for better health and living better while the self defense side of it is an actual bi-product only picked up after DECADES of training and devotion to it.

Hard styles like Muay Thai are generally trained for sports and competition where conditioning plays a major part in the sport and the art style as well, 1/2 of Muay Thai is technique the other 1/2 is just conditioning, many attack from Muay Thai are directed towards the lower torso or 'stomach' area which is why you generally see practitioners of Muay thai with a really defined set of abs, make no mistake they are HARD!

Lethal styles like krav maga are fairly new arts but have NO PLACE in the "REAL" world they cannot be used in competitions and they generally cannot be sparred with at full contact, krav maga being the most obvious choice for explanation because in EVERY move in the art is designed to kill/maim/permenantly render immobile, even an art like this is dangerous to use in a street fight because of your knowledge and training the courts will look down upon you "You are trained with the knowledge of how to kill someone, yet even when the attacker was immobilised you killed him?" Krav maga is a military form of martial arts, it is VERY difficult to find a GOOD krav maga school as each lays claim that there art can kill a man with there pinky finger...

That being said there is NOTHING stopping a Tai Chi practitioner from absolutly destroying and dismantling a practitioner of Krav Maga at the end of the day you can train in ANY art and you will ONLY GET OUT WHAT YOU PUT IN!

NO STYLE makes a Fighter!

Fighters make stlyes!

---------- Post added 2011-06-01 at 03:38 AM ----------

Everyone wants to punch someone and knock them flat with 1 hit

Of allllll the martial arts in the world and there must be 1,000's there is 1 proven art that will give its practitioner through years of extensive training... The Most Deadly Hands on the Planet!

its proven....

Boxing! =)
    Last edited by Spoogles; 2011-06-01 at 03:41 AM.

Wing Chun, Muy Thai or Krav Maga, you'll do exceptionally well 1v1 and even if you gete mobbed and in closed quarters you'll still do well. I think there is some guy teaching basic Wing Chun (Master Wong I think) as advertisement on youtube (yeah yeah). HE goes thorugh most of the basics and if you can take him seriously it's pretty entertaining, if you want to see more 'meat' first just skip to the last few lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Greennunu View Post
    Wing Chun, Muy Thai or Krav Maga, you'll do exceptionally well 1v1 and even if you gete mobbed and in closed quarters you'll still do well. I think there is some guy teaching basic Wing Chun (Master Wong I think) as advertisement on youtube (yeah yeah). HE goes thorugh most of the basics and if you can take him seriously it's pretty entertaining, if you want to see more 'meat' first just skip to the last few lessons.
    ANY ART - you'll do exceptionally well 1v1 and even if you gete mobbed and in closed quarters you'll still do well.

SO LONG AS you apply yourself and put in the effort, if a bloke that practices 'Drunken Panda Yellow Leaf Deathwing of the south northern system of the weng fui system...' but if he practices the art with all his heart and knowledge his effort with everything he has!

he could beat a 10th degree black belt in '1 touch death' if the 10th dan black belt didn't train as hard or with as much effort as the other practitioner.

in the end like I said above it all comes down to what YOU YOURSELF put in!

EDIT:

That being said.....there are some arts that are just PURE BULLSHIT! do a little reading about "Yellow Bamboo" haha.... its a good read should make you laugh a bit there was a (self proclaimed) MASTER OF THE DEADLY ART YELLOW BAMBOO! and this "MASTER" put up a tournament for other martial artists to enter, his first figth was against an asian man I think he was a shootfighter (shootfighting is similar to wrestling) anyway....

Fight starts Shootfighter sends in a punch lands it on the MASTER OF YELLOW BAMBOO, the 'master' wobbles a bit then regains his composure only for the shootfighter to yet again throw in another punch but this time it was too much for the master and he submitted verbally due to 2 strikes in less then 20secs.....

here's the best part (remmber that was the 1st fight) the MASTER OF YELLOW BAMBOO was one of those "my art is the best and Im going to show you why" kinda guys, he STUPIDLY made an award of $5000 to the victor of the tournament. He assumed that he would just pocket his money back...20secs later he is out $5k.

HA
    Last edited by Spoogles; 2011-06-01 at 04:05 AM.