Rolling a new PvE priest. Disc or Holy?

Title says it all really. I'd want to raid heal, but would also be playing arenas at 85. Any suggestions?

Deleted
    wel simply.
    Mainspec: Holy Offspec: Disc pvp

problem solved? :P

thats pretty much all i wanted lol. was to see what spec was for pve. thanks ;]

mod can close this. search button probably would have came in handy, just realized im a retard.

Just go disc for both ?
    Then you dont have to adapt

is disc putting up good numbers in a raid environment though?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no best PvE spec for healing as priest. It comes down to personal preference and what your raid needs. Holy is commonly considered as the raid healer, but that doesn't mean that Discipline can't do it satisfactorily.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supern3rd View Post
    is disc putting up good numbers in a raid environment though?
    Yes, shield is still quite strong. Holy is a lot easier to raid heal with though, since you just have to reactive heal whereas disc needs to be proactive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supern3rd
    is disc putting up good numbers in a raid environment though?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Yes, shield is still quite strong. Holy is a lot easier to raid heal with though, since you just have to reactive heal whereas disc needs to be proactive.
    Yes, disc is very viable in raids. Most disc priests task is "raid bubbling" but disc is also well suited for tank healing.

Regarding your leveling: In dungeons up to lvl 80 there won't be much to heal at all. Disc makes this a bit less boring by being able to smite-heal by Atonement. So you might consider speccing disc for dungeons and shadow for questing.

I found disc to be better for low level instance healing; i main spec disc for my raids, its easy to keep up with everyone else, so don't let someone tell you that you cannot raid heal, the only thing you cannot beat are mainly druids since ... they have a buttondance that is sooo OP XD

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitche View Post
    they have a buttondance that is sooo OP XD
    By button dance you mean 1 button right? Tranquility. xD
    Now Casual Holy/Disc Priest: Summer of 2011

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Zodisius View Post
    By button dance you mean 1 button right? Tranquility. xD
    ^^ pretty much!

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    There is no best PvE spec for healing as priest. It comes down to personal preference and what your raid needs. Holy is commonly considered as the raid healer, but that doesn't mean that Discipline can't do it satisfactorily.
    It also depends a lot on the bossfight. Every boss with pulsing/constant AoE damage a disc priest is just as good (if not better) than a holy priest (for instance Cho'gall - discs are better the whole of p1 and in p2 are about as good as holy gets).

My Priest has been End-game level since early '07, so I can't really say about leveling.
    But I heard Disc is more fun at low levels, especially attonement.

I raided in Wrath as Disc because it was crazy OP and easy to do. That said, I found Disc very hard to maintain when Cataclysm launched. Heroics, particularly, were absolutely devastating to mana and attonement healing was not viable because of poor gear all around at the time and the copious amounts of damage, too. Now that people are geared, it may be a different story. I am actually leveling a second priest as Horde to try the different quests and new faction, but also to see how Disc works now in 80-85 levels in dungeons and raids as well as a PVP spec.

The general rule of thumb I've gathered over time is you take a disc priest over a holy priest first in any raid for the mitigation and rely on Shamans, Paladins, and Druids for raid heals. Disc is completely unique since it buys the raid healers time to heal people up due to the bubbles and what-not, which can prevent deaths in some cases. However, it is highly fight-dependent; for Chimaeron, you would want big direct heals, typically, to keep members up as they get brought to 1hp. I have been told that a bubble (either DA or PW:S) would not save someone if they have 1hp.

That said, I think the biggest factor here is that you honestly need to try both specs and see which one suits you the most. You can dual-spec, so I would advise trying both and find out what is the most fun and enjoyable for you. I personally do PVP as Holy spec and I find it to be a lot of fun. The raw output of Holy tends to keep a lot of DPS frustrated as you kite them around in your Body and Soul bubbles and gain Blessed Resilience with larger crits.

Whatever you choose, enjoy playing!
    Disc/Shadow Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    THIS is THE answer.

It's just personal preference and group setup, nothing more.

so what it boils down to is if i wanted to tank heal, disc, if i wanted to raid heal, holy.

amirite?

so what it boils down to is if i wanted to tank heal, disc, if i wanted to raid heal, holy.

amirite?
    In a nutshell, yes.
    Disc/Shadow Priest

amirite?
    Well, yes and no. Disc can do AoE healing, it just depends a lot on the encounter OR how well you do it in order to not waste your divine aegis. You have to make sure noone heals your group to full, because if they don't, you can simply gradually bring your group up while stacking aegis without having to overheal, and thus the aegis will be ready for the next aoe damage.

It just requires a lot more effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to do Hardmodes on your priest then go Disc. Saved my raid a million times more as Disc. Nice bit o'barrier or bubbling on Chim etc. You'll get more throughput as Holy though. I can't stand getting people to click the lightwell.