Deleted

DPS optimization

Hey guys,

I'm new to shadow priest (I was holy/disci) and your experience would be much appreciated to help me improve my dps since i'm increasingly asked to dps in our 25-man.

I know the basic rotation and my stuff is quite ok (7540SP, 25.90HST, 17%HIT, 14.35CRIT, 10.73MST, self-buffed). Since I dps mostly in 25-man I should have all the buffs I need too.

So here are my questions:

1. Below how many seconds is it a DPS increase to wait for the DM:V card to proc (since I can track its internal CD) when shadowfiend is up?

2. Should I reapply all three dots when somehting procs (card, power torrent, theralion's mirror)? Should I reapply them again before I lose the proc?

3. Since SW:P is constantly renewed with MF, will casting it under pre-pot+card and then keep it up keep the SP boost along the combat?

4. Does the empowered shadow buff require to reapply dots or not?

5. When Theralion's Mirror procs, should I MB (with orb) immediatly and again before the mastery buff fades? Should I reapply dots both times (if answer 4 is yes)?

6. Should I clip MF to reaaply DP/VT/Empowered shadow (MB) when they're about to fade? I assume that I should.

Tks!

[EDIT] 7. Also, how come when I run SimulationCraft, Crit and Mastery both give me scale factors higher than Haste (which is the opposite of what I see everywhere else: stack haste)
    Last edited by mmoc4a1158ae20; 2011-05-26 at 07:53 PM.

1. Not too sure
    2. Not all 3 i would do VT and DP depending on mana and what proc
    3. yes
    4. no
    5. yes with 1 orb unless if you think you can push 3 orbs quick ive managed to get 3 3orb mbs off in 1 trink
    6. dont clip mf
    Wot.

Yes, you should clip Mind Flay. Clipping before the last tick will always be a DPS gain according to http://www.howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=351

And yes you have to re-apply your dots for them to gain the empowered shadows buff provided you applied them BEFORE it was available. Whether or not you SHOULD depends on the dot, your buffs, and how much longer the dots will be up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfire View Post
    Yes, you should clip Mind Flay. Clipping before the last tick will always be a DPS gain according to http://www.howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=351
    Interesting read. I'll try it out soon. It a shame I was making efforts to wait until I'm in that red-latency-zone before spamming my next spell..!

I also found some of the answers I was looking for here: http://www.howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=340

Tks!
    Last edited by mmoc4a1158ae20; 2011-05-26 at 09:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestai View Post
    1. Not too sure
    2. Not all 3 i would do VT and DP depending on mana and what proc
    3. yes
    4. no
    5. yes with 1 orb unless if you think you can push 3 orbs quick ive managed to get 3 3orb mbs off in 1 trink
    6. dont clip mf
    Looks like you don't know your class very well - most of those answers were wrong.

1. Shadowfiend's damage is updated dynamically - if you get the volcano proc halfway through, the latter half of it's damage will hit harder. When it wears off, Shadowfiend's damage will weaken. So if it's 2 seconds off coming off CD, use Shadowfiend anyway.
    2. It depends on the proc. DP is always worth re-casting, VT is generally worth it if you get 2 or more.
    3. No. Every time Mindflay refreshes it, all stats are updated.
    4. Yes, it does.
    5. Don't need to have any orbs - use it on cooldown regardless.
    6. Clip MF for everything.

Deleted
    some more from me:

after theralions mirror proc has ended and you have an increased empowered shadows up, is it worth not mindblasting with orbs so as to keep the more powerful ES?

is it a DPS gain to macro /dance to all your abilities?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestlyone View Post
    1. Shadowfiend's damage is updated dynamically - if you get the volcano proc halfway through, the latter half of it's damage will hit harder. When it wears off, Shadowfiend's damage will weaken. So if it's 2 seconds off coming off CD, use Shadowfiend anyway.
    So should I understand I should ALWAYS use it on CDs, regardless of an incoming proc?
    Why is it said that we should we release it before BL then?

Much obliged.

---------- Post added 2011-05-26 at 10:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparrow View Post
    is it a DPS gain to macro /dance to all your abilities?
    I'll have to simcraft it to answer for sure.
    Last edited by mmoc4a1158ae20; 2011-05-26 at 09:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinn View Post
    So should I understand I should ALWAYS use it on CDs, regardless of an incoming proc?
    Why is it said that we should we release it before BL then?

Much obliged.

Because our Shadowfiend then also gets Bloodlusted.

---------- Post added 2011-05-26 at 09:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Priestlyone View Post
    6. Clip MF for everything.
    By clipping you mean right after a tick? Do you use Gnosis for this? Because Quartz can't keep track of the ticks properly and no other castbar that I know of can. If you aren't clipping right after a tick and just clipping anytime you can, is it really always a DPS gain? Are there any math done to this because I don't see how Mind Blast can make up for the damage you lose if you clip it right before a tick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    By clipping you mean right after a tick? Do you use Gnosis for this? Because Quartz can't keep track of the ticks properly and no other castbar that I know of can. If you aren't clipping right after a tick and just clipping anytime you can, is it really always a DPS gain? Are there any math done to this because I don't see how Mind Blast can make up for the damage you lose if you clip it right before a tick.
    Although I use Quartz for most things, I use Mfclip's castbar for MF clipping - I've tested it in the past, moving right before or after when it says a tick should occur, and it's always been correct. I'll admit I haven't tested it that accurately since 4.1, however - will have a look at that in the morning.

The math I've seen said it was a small DPS loss if you clip right before a tick for a no-orb MB, and a gain if you do it right after a tick. Regardless of where you clipped it with orbs, it was a DPS gain - although, obviously, it's better to clip right after an MB. Will try to find the math on this in the morning too.

The math I've seen said it was a

Deleted
    If you're saying that we should MB on CD, regardless of orbs, don't you find yourself losing ES sometimes?