Should mind blast be used on CD? (more inside)

I apped to a 10/13 heroic guild where there's a shadow priests numbers who are inferior to mine and ironically, he's the GM of the guild. He told me that I should be using mind blast on cooldown, whether an orb is up or not because of changes to mastery which makes no sense to me. Empowered shadows is super important to us.

What I last heard was cast it on cooldown but never 2 cooldowns in a row without an orb, should still give full ES uptime.

Deleted
    No. You should only hit mind blast with an orb. Or unless your stacking mastery which by the sounds of things that gm is, which is idiotic. For Spriests you stack haste like crazy and hit mind blast only with atleast one orb.

Quote Originally Posted by filiral View Post
    What I last heard was cast it on cooldown but never 2 cooldowns in a row without an orb, should still give full ES uptime.
    this

/10 char

More than 6.5 seconds left on ES, cast away. Else, flay for an orb. With any multitarget fight, I usually end up casting it on cd since orb procs are plentiful when the extra sw ticks.

However, I can't wait to see what the t12 4 piece will do to ES up time. More mind blasts mean less mind flays, which means less orb procs, and while orbs usually aren't ever a problem now, unlucky orbless streaks will become more rampant.

As of now:

1 orb + MB off CD = CAST
    0 orb + MB off CD + more than 6.5sec left on ES = CAST
    0 orb + MB off CD + less than 6.5sec left on ES + more than 8sec left on BOTH VT and DP = CAST (debatable topic)
    0 orb + MB off CD + less than 6.5sec left on ES + less than 8 sec on either VT or DP = DONT CAST

Mind Blast is something that should be used frequently, usually used with at least 1 shadow orb to refresh empowered shadows. Whenever you refresh empowered shadows, you can afford to cast the next mind blast that's coming off CD without any orbs, since by that time there is still enough time to wait until the mind blast after that for refreshing purposes without jeopardizing the empowered shadow's uptime. However by doing so, you are slightly gimping your chances to accumulate any shadow orbs from mind flay, since the time spent casting the 0 orb mind blast could have been 2 ticks of mind flay, hence 2 chances to generate an orb. However in the long run these 2 extra chances are relatively quite small, and usually taking that risk (as opposed to playing safe) to cast the 0 orb mind is more worth it in terms of overall dps. However again there is an exception to this risk in the circumstance where dots are close to falling off soon (less than 8 seconds is a reasonable estimation). In that case I'd rather play it safe and NOT cast that 0 orb MB because I don't want to risk refreshing those dots in case I lose my empowered shadows at the same time.
    Last edited by zsun; 2011-05-27 at 06:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zsun View Post
    As of now:

1 orb + MB off CD = CAST
    0 orb + MB off CD + more than 6.5sec left on ES = CAST
    0 orb + MB off CD + less than 6.5sec left on ES + more than 8sec left on BOTH VT and DP = CAST (debatable topic)
    0 orb + MB off CD + less than 6.5sec left on ES + less than 8 sec on either VT or DP = DONT CAST

Mind Blast is something that should be used frequently, usually used with at least 1 shadow orb to refresh empowered shadows. Whenever you refresh empowered shadows, you can afford to cast the next mind blast that's coming off CD without any orbs, since by that time there is still enough time to wait until the mind blast after that for refreshing purposes without jeopardizing the empowered shadow's uptime. However by doing so, you are slightly gimping your chances to accumulate any shadow orbs from mind flay, since the time spent casting the 0 orb mind blast could have been 2 ticks of mind flay, hence 2 chances to generate an orb. However in the long run these 2 extra chances are relatively quite small, and usually taking that risk (as opposed to playing safe) to cast the 0 orb mind is more worth it in terms of overall dps. However again there is an exception to this risk in the circumstance where dots are close to falling off soon (less than 8 seconds is a reasonable estimation). In that case I'd rather play it safe and NOT cast that 0 orb MB because I don't want to risk refreshing those dots in case I lose my empowered shadows at the same time.
    This.

And just because he is the GM of a high end guild doesn´t make him right.

Out dps him for a few weeks and he will come to you for advise.

In my experience - officers and GMs arent always the best players, just because they are ranked high..
    Last edited by mmocd344c38da9; 2011-05-27 at 08:12 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    >implying 10/13 is 'high end'

The guy's obviously not clued up with theorycrafting, and is just going by what he knows. There are various topics about Mind Blasting on shadowpriest.com.

Quote Originally Posted by rewn View Post
    No. You should only hit mind blast with an orb. Or unless your stacking mastery which by the sounds of things that gm is, which is idiotic. For Spriests you stack haste like crazy and hit mind blast only with atleast one orb.
    This is completely wrong. As mentioned above, cast Mind Blast on cooldown unless you have less than 6 seconds uptime on Empowered Shadows.

edit: Listen to Zsun, they have it perfect.
    Last edited by Abandon; 2011-05-27 at 11:23 AM.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

if u have orbs go ahead. if not theres a good waste of 6.5 seconds which is idiotic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zsun View Post
    It should be CAST, then refresh VT / DP before ES falls off.
    {[( )]}

Hit it with 1orb. Or don't smack it TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by cotton View Post
    However, I can't wait to see what the t12 4 piece will do to ES up time. More mind blasts mean less mind flays, which means less orb procs, and while orbs usually aren't ever a problem now, unlucky orbless streaks will become more rampant.
    T12 4pc was changed from 6 second reduce CD to 3 second and then they changed the set bonus completely and made it 25% increased DMG to MB so there is no reduced cooldown but ofc the dmg increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosky View Post
    T12 4pc was changed from 6 second reduce CD to 3 second and then they changed the set bonus completely and made it 25% increased DMG to MB so there is no reduced cooldown but ofc the dmg increase.
    I must of missed this, but anyways i like

Quote Originally Posted by Kezooy View Post
    I must of missed this, but anyways i like
    I still haven't seen it mentioned anywhere official, but the 4pc on the current PTR T12 is this Gloves of the Cleansing Flame now.