Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Which mmo is worth playing?

WoW is slowly, but steadily going down, so question is... What mmo is worth playing? I tried Rift, but I find the game to be complete WoW clone with bad graphics and animations.

Recommend me something!

10+ Year Old Account
    There isn't one as of now.

EvE Online.
    Definitely the best MMO right now. It's quite different from WoW and a bit complicated, and because of that many people don't like it. But if you play for it for a while you begin to understand that it's quite unique and there isn't any other MMO that can even compare to it in that aspect.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-28 at 08:23 AM.

I'd say go for EvE online if you want a completely different experience from WoW (it'll take some time getting into it). But for other MMORPGs there's not many (or any) that are even worth playing, so wait until Guild Wars 2, Tera and SWTOR comes, they all seem very promising.

If you want to get hooked to the game just watch some trailers. The EVE trailers are better than some movie trailers, lol.
    Here is an example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms95NKFnhCU

Theres not really anything that beats WoW right now, but GW2 looks promising.

Atm none. Rift is a cheap flashier copy of WoW.
    Maybe SWTOR or maaaaaaaaaybe GW2 will be able to compete

Meh no MMO appeals to me right now. I'm taking a much needed break from the endless grind I used to go through with WoW.

Minecraft!
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet.

In my personal opinion(so don't flame), only MMOs worth playing are:
    1. WoW
    2. Rift (bit like WoW, bit different)
    3. Guild Wars 1(bit like MMO, bit like RPG, no grind, no subscription fee, variety of interesting missions[dungeons])
    4. EVE Online (not for you if you MUST have customisable "player" character or if you hate PvP)
    5. Wizard101 (family friendly)
    When Guild Wars 2 releases, it will be well above WoW in the list.

If it doesn't have to be an RPG:
    1. League of Legends/DotA/Bloodline Champions/Heroes of Newerth. Start with LoL.
    2. Global Agenda

Checkout http://mmohuts.com.

Aight, going to make a list here of games you should try.

MMO's:
    You may be bored of MMO's, or poosh button MMO's. So I really reccommend trying DCUO. It's an action MMO where you have to actually keep your eyes open. It's very wide world and there's lots of places to explore. Though the late game might be not so full of content but if you play other games or don't play very often, this game is for you!

FPS:
    BRINK is a really cool game that differs from other shooters solely because of the SMART system. If you don't know what it is, it enables you to grab on anything, slide on anything so parkour in general. Also teamwork is required. You can't go in as a lone wolf and expect to win. There's also multiplayer context which is really cool. Worth checking out. This is a game where you can either go full nerd mode (play much) or you can just go casual mode (don't play as much). There are a lot of bugs ATM but they will get fixed soonish.

Team fortress 2 is a game which never leaves you unsatisfied. The graphics are cartoonish and may be good for you if you're used to playing those realistic-as-possible graphics. Teamwork here is also VERY important. There's a lot of variety. 9 completely different classes with everyone of them have a unique talent. There are many weapons to choose from as well. There is a competitive circuit and of course also the casual circuit. Beware of crazy people and hats though.

RTS:
    Starcraft 2 is a very competitive game. You'll be immediatly placed in ranking matches where you will be tested for a proper league to suit your level of play. There are lots of tournaments about this game and the best actually make a comfortable living out of it. This is of course a RTS title so might be a whole new (Unless you played wc3) world for you. If you're looking for a competitive game to satisfy your game needs, try it. There are no cons to this game!
    Last edited by Poppasan; 2011-05-28 at 11:07 AM.

I saw a few people mention EVE, and it's certainly the most unique and player driven game around right now. It's literally like a second reality, complete with politics and a -real- economy.

The only problem is that it is RIDICULOUSLY complicated and you need to play for a LONG time to experience what the game is about. The skills that your character learns are not through leveling up or completing mission etc., but through actual training time that's formulated based on your attributes.

There's 5 ranks in Gunnery, and you may be able to get to the 3rd rank within 3 hours, but the 4th would take 2 days, and the 5th 6 days. And that's short for EVE skills. The higher "Level" skills that take lots of prerequisites like Heavy Assault Cruisers may take months to finish off the prereqs. There's still tons of skills higher than that, such as capital ships and the like. And as you would imagine, they take FOREVER.

EVE is a great game, but don't bother unless you're committed for the long haul. You won't be accepted into a corporation that actually does anything until you've been playing for quite a bit of time, unless they pick you up super early to train you into an interceptor.
    I accidentally my signature

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    EvE Online.
    Definitely the best MMO right now. It's quite different from WoW and a bit complicated, and because of that many people don't like it. But if you play for it for a while you begin to understand that it's quite unique and there isn't any other MMO that can even compare to it in that aspect.
    I tried EVE, but it's way too impersonal for me. Being in a ship all the time is so boring.

Deleted
    Other than World of Warcraft?None.I must admit that Guild Wars II looks kinda promising, if that fails.. it's back to WoW, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Xleetskeetx View Post
    EVE is a great game, but don't bother unless you're committed for the long haul. You won't be accepted into a corporation that actually does anything until you've been playing for quite a bit of time, unless they pick you up super early to train you into an interceptor.
    You can be accepted in to a "friendly" corporation and they might even give you some money to start with. It takes time to get to the "endgame", but the point is that "endgame" might be different for everyone. Someone might just want to play with the economy of the game, or to be a space pirate in low sec or etc.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-05-28 at 12:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I would enjoy watching paint dry more than playing eve online.. That shit looks boring, but anyways.

None at the moment, that I know of. Just wait for Guild Wars 2 (:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Deleted
    Play WoW or Rift for now until GW2 and SWTOR come out, then play them. GW2 looks slightly better, and SWTOR may just be a WoW clone with a few new features, but hey, it may turn out being awesome =D

10+ Year Old Account
    EvE is the only other MMO unique enough to try imo.

LotRO is supposed to be ok but I think it falls in the same catagory as a WoW clone for WoW bellyachers to hype.

OP, if you want another game that is very similar to WoW, but it is quite different, I suggest you take a look at Allods. I was not expecting much, I downloaded it to know what it is like, and so far I am surprised. It is a nice game not earth-shattering or anything, but nice still. I recommend you take a look at it, and it will cost you nothing

all new mmo's will fail in tell they make a great eq killer again