10+ Year Old Account

Hit Cap and Dot Clipping (affliction)

So I have 16.87% hit as affliction. I was wondering if with will suffice. Also I might occasionally have UA fall off for a second and I was wondering if someone might recommend an addon that can help me manage my dots and timers.

P.S. How bad is it if a dot falls off for a second?
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

Try "Buttontimers". It's fairly easy to set up and very useful, it can keep track of DoTs, your cooldowns, or buffs/debuffs on you or the boss.

For fights where I'm keeping dots on multiple mobs most of the fight I pair that with "DoTimer".

I can't post links but you can find both of those by searching for them on Curse.

16.87% Should be okay but you should try to get as close to 17% as possible... Though I would try not to go over around %17.1. In BiS heroic gear you should be at about %17.08.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you. How much DPS would you guess Soul Drain phase brings you up these days? (Approx)
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivatives View Post
    Thank you. How much DPS would you guess Soul Drain phase brings you up these days? (Approx)
    prolly about 15-20% with most of that being from deaths embrace

16.87% Should be okay but you should try to get as close to 17% as possible... Though I would try not to go over around %17.1. In BiS heroic gear you should be at about %17.08.

This is just a tad bit off, Hit just isn't as important as it once was. I currently run around 14% hit and see little dps loss, especially considering running low hit allows me to reach haste "cap" easily and allows for higher/crit mastery than people who strive for hit cap.

Deleted
    You can clip BoD once it's less than 15 seconds to go (It'll go up to 1:14 in that case), Corruption between 1 and 2 seconds to go, irrc and never clip BoA, it'd be a DPS loss.

I use ForteXorcist for my timers, but I'm a fairly patient person so wading through its complexities wasn't that bad. As a bonus, it puts a mark on the dot timers so you can see exactly when your next tick will happen, which helps with clipping accuracy.

BoAgony being the exception, I believe they say on the EJ forums that it's better to refresh a bit early than let a dot drop. Probably more true for aff than for destro or demo.

You can always clip after the second to last tick because of the way dots work in cata, the last tick "rolls over" to the new cast. BOA is an exception as others have pointed out because it hits harder with its last tick.
    Also for an addon you should check out nuggrunning. It is very nice and I find uses the least memory out of most other addons such as ForteXorcist. Only issue is it lacks a decent gui interface to modify it.
    Last edited by soulreapor; 2011-05-31 at 06:58 AM.

Deleted
    for perfect dmg, reapply BoA not before the very last tick, because of the way BoA ticks