Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    In fact, if you don't have proper Post Work Out nutrition, your body will stay in a catabolic state and will destroy all that hard work you did in the gym.
    This is a little shaky.

Your body will not go into a catabolic state if you don't immediately drink a protein shake after you work-out.
    As long as you don't workout for too long (Hour in the gym maximum) and eat correctly (Eating enough and eating the right stuff) your body won't go into a catabolic state. Getting plenty of rest helps too.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    ^^^^ that.
    The only people that would need post-wo nutrition are endurance athletes or people working out 2-3 times a day.

Hi,I'm new here.
    This forum is very interesting that I like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    People use protein shakes after workouts for a quick way to get protein in to start muscle repair. The only difference between that and eating another source of protein is that liquids digest faster. In reality, you could eat a chicken or turkey breast after a workout and be fine. The only way shakes would really relate to fat/weight loss is to substitute for a meal and consume less calories than you normally would.

If you don't want it, don't drink it, it won't really matter. Most important thing is to recover whatever your body lost, and fix whatever needs fixing. Doesn't matter as much how you do it.
    Best answer period.

only drink a protein shake if you are focusing on using muscle building as a part of your workout plan. If you are doing cardio, and only doing minimal muscle strains that do not fatigue you, there is not much of a gain to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    This is a little shaky.

Your body will not go into a catabolic state if you don't immediately drink a protein shake after you work-out.
    As long as you don't workout for too long (Hour in the gym maximum) and eat correctly (Eating enough and eating the right stuff) your body won't go into a catabolic state. Getting plenty of rest helps too.
    Not Entirely true.

You can push for far longer than an hour. Your body will never reach a catabolic state unless your glycoren stores are completely emptied.

This can only be achieved through a keto diet/low carb diet.

Cheers for all the feedback folks.

I went from more of a builders shake to a "build and trim" type job.
    The builders shake seemed to be helping a little, lost all the soreness now unless I train hard for more than a couple of days back to back.
    Moved onto a "build and trim" type shake and it seems to having quite an impact.

Dropped 10kg in about 3 months now but there seems to have been a bit of a spurt when I switched to the other type of shake. There's a good bit of extra muscle gone into chest and arms too and I generally dont get anything like as fatigued doing anything as before.

Not advertsing in the slightest but as it seems to be helping some feedback:

Started on the sci-mx ultragen (just what the local muscle shop sold). Moved onto sci-mx build and trim (both are whey protein but a few different bits in each) and got the spurt of loss. Both were rather lean though, about 160 calories in a 300ml mix (the chap at the muscle shop was pretty insistant that a TINY bit of fat and carbs were needed so the protein could be absorbed).

My routines usually:
    10 mins jogging (9 km/hr)
    4km row in fastest time on a fairly "hard" setting (current best is 17:01 that extra second seriously pissed me off )

Then I go into weights. Various depending on day. I dont have a strict set of splits yet but I do tend to avoid muscle groups that feel sore from previous training days. Since i've stopped hurting (almost completely) I can feel when i've given one group a good workout the day before. Weights is usually about an hr. Favourites are squats (on a smiths machine, all my place has) and dumbell incline but I try and work everything at least 1 in 3 sessions.

Finish with about 30 minutes in the pool area. Usually do about half km swim, 10 minutes in the sauna and the rest in the spa.

I started the swimming and sauna about the same time as the shakes so i'm not sure which stopped the soreness (though I suspect a little of both along with getting used to training). Well on my way now though. Down 10kg and can lift quite a bit more (not going nuts on the lifting as i'm not after getting big) so i've probably lost a bit more in fat and put a little muscle on. Found having a VERY VERY small amount of DARK chocolate (like litterally 4 small squares dark is lower fat) before a workout along with a pre shake gives me a big boost in the amount I can do in my workout (the energy from the choc and shake are used up before I finish my row).

I know this is probably not all together optimal but it's working for me now so i'm happy enough

Just need to keep on with this now and next year I should be in pretty good shape
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2011-06-27 at 06:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.