Thread: Next expansion

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Next expansion theorycrafting: South Sea + Pirate class

So I had this on my mind now for quite some time.
    I read the "War of the Ancients" trilogy again a few weeks ago and I noticed some things.

- the Old Gods tried to corrupt Nozdormu
    - the Old Gods tried to change history in order to break free
    (the Infinite Dragonflight also tried to change history in several Caverns of Time dungeons)
    - Aszhara made a pact with the Old Gods and her Highborne followers turned into naga
    - Xavius was made into a tree and became the Nightmare Lord of the Emerald Dream
    - N'Zoth is said to be the remaining Old God that is behind the naga and the Nightmare

Nozdormu has been rumored to be the leader of the Infinite Dragonflight. In the "War of the Ancients" tentacles try to capture Nozdormu, but he manages to escape. The Old Gods tried to use him to alter history in order to break free. What if, in the future they tried again and succeeded? The Infinite Dragonflight is trying to achieve pretty much the same thing as the Old Gods did. Alter history.

Now, at first I thought, "the Old Gods are behind it" sounds a little bit overused, but the War of the Ancients trilogy was written pretty much at the beginning of WoW. And in the beginning of WoW there wasn't much about the Old Gods so, maybe this was what Blizzard/Knaak had planned for them at that time.

Now we know N'Zoth is behind the naga, the Nightmare and, my guess is, that he also turned Nozdormu into the leader of the Infinite.
    And I think the next expansion will wrap up everything with Nozdormu and the Infinite, Aszhara and the naga and the Emerald Nightmare.
    Cataclysm doesn't have just one big theme - it's a mix of Deathwing, Elemental Planes and Old Gods - because in a sense they are all connected. So it doesn't strike me as surprising that the next expansion would have several, different themes as well.

We know that Aszhara is probably going to be the next main villain, that's a no-brainer.
    There's also the coming War of the Ancients raid which will probably serve as a tie-in to the next expansion - like the Ruby Sanctum connected WotLK to Cataclysm. Well, what a surprise. The War of the Ancients was when it all started with the naga, Aszhara, the Nightmare and the Old God's attempts to break free. It would be a perfect raid to lead into an expansion that wraps those themes up.

The new zones, I guess, would be the South Sea islands - this is nothing I came up with, it's pretty much what a lot of people expect, the Emerald Dream and maybe something with the Caverns of Time. A sea-based expansion will probably do a lot with ships, ports etc.
    And it would be the perfect setting for a new hero class.

The pirate!

I know, pirate doesn't sound as epic as Death Knight or Demon Hunter - but when thinking about possible hero classes we have to keep some things in mind.
    1. It should be something that fits for every race. A pirate is something, that makes sense for every race.
    2. It should fit into the setting of the expansion and in a South Sea expansion you could do a lot with pirates.

You could have the starting area be about epic ship battles, fights between different pirate cartels etc. and in the end the Alliance or the Horde recruits you into their service. Also - lots of Pirates of the Caribbean references.

What do you think? Makes sense? Likey or no likey?
    Last edited by mmocedbf46d113; 2011-05-30 at 07:22 PM.

hmmmmm like the idea, but can't see them doing the whole Nozdormu, corrupted thing straight after they did the whole Deathwing, corrupted thing ))
    but i guess we could see this in the future. Im still hoping for another Burning Legion based expac with Demon Hunter as the Hero Class. Velen did mention a prophecy of BL coming to Azeroth for another major battle very soon in the future.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerikanec View Post
    hmmmmm like the idea, but can't see them doing the whole Nozdormu, corrupted thing straight after they did the whole Deathwing, corrupted thing ))
    but i guess we could see this in the future. Im still hoping for another Burning Legion based expac with Demon Hunter as the Hero Class. Velen did mention a prophecy of BL coming to Azeroth for another major battle very soon in the future.
    Yeah, two dragon aspects corrupted one right after the next doesn't sound good. My guess is, that Nozdormu won't be the main villain, that will be Aszhara. And I also don't think we'll kill Nozdormu, because after Malygos and Deathwing I think Blizzard won't overdo this and send us after all of them. With Kalec and the black dragon egg in the Badlands it sounds more like the aspects will recover and Nozdormu won't die, but be freed of the Old Gods influence.

I also think we'll see another Legion expansion and the Demon Hunter would be a good candidate for a her class - but next expansion would be too early, as I guess the next one in line is Aszhara and that wouldn't connect well.

Deleted
    we dont KNOW Nozdormu is the leader of the Infinitie Dragonflight...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesk View Post
    we dont KNOW Nozdormu is the leader of the Infinitie Dragonflight...
    You are right. That's why I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Nozdormu has been rumored to be the leader of the Infinite Dragonflight.

but what if the tentacles that went for Nozdormu got a piece of him and then they used to make a copy of him.........Which will end up later as a boss where you see both Nozdormu and the copy battle it out and stuff happen.... or something

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harken_no1 View Post
    but what if the tentacles that went for Nozdormu got a piece of him and then they used to make a copy of him.........Which will end up later as a boss where you see both Nozdormu and the copy battle it out and stuff happen.... or something
    And then Arnold Schwarzenegger comes along and kills him - cause he's a clone of him from the future.

I like the idea, could spec to be a gun pirate, sword pirate or... i dunno healer?

I don't really care what you call me, you can even call me cold...

yeah, and the clone babies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Godshot View Post
    I like the idea, could spec to be a gun pirate, sword pirate or... i dunno healer?
    Healer? I'd rather see him as a class providing buffs and debuffs through various varieties and levels of alcohol

Deleted
    I know, pirate doesn't sound as epic as Death Knight or Demon Hunter - but when thinking about possible hero classes we have to keep some things in mind.
    1. It should be something that fits for every race. A pirate is something, that makes sense for every race.
    2. It should fit into the setting of the expansion and in a South Sea expansion you could do a lot with pirates.
    I like your post, and in most parts we are on the same level.
    But though you are right, that the DK was ment to be played by every race I don't think it is necassary. I agree, that both factions have to be able to choose this hero class.
    Being a big fan of the Blademaster I see him to be the next hero class. Your idea is good, don't get me wrong. But I think (or hope?) that they will create hero classes based on Warcraft 3.
    I agree, that this class would have potential, combining melee and pistols for example (as this van Helsing class of Warhammer If you know what I mean). Also I agree that pirates will be a big part of the next expansion.
    I for myself can't imagine the pirate to be a new hero class. As you stated it really does not feel heroic enough.
    Last edited by mmoc95d897233e; 2011-05-29 at 03:47 PM.

Deleted
    why would every race be able to choose them.... i dont like it with DK, nor wil i with pirate,
    wow would be like boring if every race/class combination was possible....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baskrik View Post
    I like your post, and in most parts we are on the same level.
    But though you are right, that the DK was ment to be played by every race I don't think it is necassary. I agree, that both factions have to be able to choose this hero class.
    Being a big fan of the Blademaster I see him to be the next hero class. Your idea is good, don't get me wrong. But I think (or hope?) that they will create hero classes based on Warcraft 3.
    I agree, that this class would have potential, combining melee and pistols for example (as this van Helsing class of Warhammer If you know what I mean). Also I agree that pirates will be a big part of the next expansion.
    I for myself can't imagine the pirate to be a new hero class. As you stated it really does not feel heroic enough.
    I would love a Blademaster, or other WC3 classes. But Blademaster feels best for orcs and I really think Blizzard would not implement a class that is restricted to a certain race. Also, I think Blizzard wants a hero class, that goes along with the story of the expansion, and I don't see how you could do something with the Blademaster storywise.

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    why would every race be able to choose them.... i dont like it with DK, nor wil i with pirate,
    wow would be like boring if every race/class combination was possible....
    How would you feel, if the new hero class was restricted to a race, that you don't like and therefore don't want to play?

Deleted
    But Blademaster feels best for orcs and I really think Blizzard would not implement a class that is restricted to a certain race
    You are right on the point that the hero class can not be restricted to only one single race. We already hadt that with the Shaman and the Paladin, and Blizzard turned away from that. A hero class needs to be playable by both factions. But I don't see the necassity to be able to be played by all races. Even a single one on both faction sides would do in my opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baskrik View Post
    You are right on the point that the hero class can not be restricted to only one single race. We already hadt that with the Shaman and the Paladin, and Blizzard turned away from that. A hero class needs to be playable by both factions. But I don't see the necassity to be able to be played by all races. Even a single one on both faction sides would do in my opinion.
    Yeah it would work as well if one or two races each side had access to the class, but I think it would work best if all races had access to them. Just imagine how much cooler it is to play the new hero class with the race you like best.
    Just picture Tinkerer and the face of someone, who discovers it's only available for gnomes and goblins - when this person doesn't like gnomes or goblins at all.

Deleted
    You have a good point there, and I don't want to say that is not going to happen for the next hero class or shouldnt be.
    I was in exact this situation when I rolled a Horde Paladin back in TBC. I liked the look of the female bloodelf, but the tankanimation was grose, so I changed to a male bloodelf. I think in the middle of WotLK I was anoyed by the look of the male belf and was reliefed hearing about the Sunwalkers. Now i am ok with the Tauren. Yet my favorite race are the orcs. I like trolls, too. So I can really understand your point.
    Still we have races that can not play specific classes. For example tauren rogues or draenai warlocks. I think lorewise it is pretty hard to impliment that. Yet Blizzard has done it before and it is not impossible.
    I agree with you, that it is a difficult topic, but both arguemnts work. It is just a point of view or like thing.

Deleted
    There are so many speculation....

I personally think:

I Emerald Dream
    II Lick King
    III War between Alliance and Horde(or at least i WISH)
    IV The revenge of spirit healers

Deleted
    I totally agree with you. There are a lot of class/race combinations, that lorewise just wouldn't make much sense. So, if you exclude every class, that doesn't go with every race, from the game, you'd end up with a very small number of classes. Things like shaman, paladin and druid are such extreme cases. And people are fine with that. But I guess when you look at an expansion, a hero class is a big feature. Blizzard probably thinks, it would be a shame if someone would miss out on that, because his favourite race is not included.
    For me it's no issue - as a big fan of the lore and RPGs in general I played every race, simply because, they're all interesting to me.

Deleted
    I think that is a really interesting topic and I see forward to the next hero class and what way Blizzard will go with the race options.

I also wrote you a pm, you might check that out.