Installing an OS on a new (custom) computer

Hello, I'm looking into building a new computer as mine died and I'm probably going to go with the puppy or dolphin models on the setup of the month. From what I understand I will have to install a new operating system on the computer, and I have a few questions regarding this. First of all, I want windows 7 to be the OS, and I have obtained the "upgradable" version from my college as it was fairly cheap, however this requires a base operating system already present on the computer with the ability to be upgraded to windows 7. So my question is, whats the cheapest OS I can get that will allow for install on a blank computer and is upgradable to windows 7? I would also appreciate if anyone could tell me where I could find this at a decent price and how the process of installing works, as I have never built a computer from the ground up before. Thanks again!

You can install windows 7 full with upgrade cd.

Install it first, it will do a basic shell install, then when thats complete, insert cd and do a Upgrade install, it will think u have a version that is upgrade-able to the full version.

u win.

It works, i did this almost 2 years ago and still runnin it now.

MAKE SURE to not register untill after u do the 2nd (upgrade) install.
    Last edited by Goat7; 2011-05-31 at 08:32 PM. Reason: more info

Deleted
    Far as I'm aware, Vista goes cheaper than XP (those are the only two you can ^grade from). check around on your local computing site, Newegg, ebuyer, etc

you need windows to upgrade windows.

that being said your upgrade version comes with a trial version. i'm not sure if this still works as i haven't tried it in awhile. but install the trial, do not register anything, install the upgrade version on top of the trial, register, ???, profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigious View Post
    Hello, I'm looking into building a new computer as mine died and I'm probably going to go with the puppy or dolphin models on the setup of the month. From what I understand I will have to install a new operating system on the computer, and I have a few questions regarding this. First of all, I want windows 7 to be the OS, and I have obtained the "upgradable" version from my college as it was fairly cheap, however this requires a base operating system already present on the computer with the ability to be upgraded to windows 7. So my question is, whats the cheapest OS I can get that will allow for install on a blank computer and is upgradable to windows 7? I would also appreciate if anyone could tell me where I could find this at a decent price and how the process of installing works, as I have never built a computer from the ground up before. Thanks again!
    I am pretty sure you can only upgrade from a Windows Vista/XP. But if you are a student you can get Windows 7 for 30 bucks from Microsoft directly here.

EDIT: If this is the "Upgrade" you already have, you should just burn it to a DVD to install it onto your computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    You can install windows 7 full with upgrade cd.

Install it first, it will do a basic shell install, then when thats complete, insert cd and do a Upgrade install, it will think u have a version that is upgrade-able to the full version.

u win.

It works, i did this almost 2 years ago and still runnin it now.
    I've never done this personally, but since you already have an Upgrade copy I would attempt this before going out and buying another OS.

Ah so just to clarify, I dont need to get another OS to upgrade this? What I have is this:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    64-bit x64 Upgrade: Pre-existing OS License Required

this is what it says on the disc i have, It was bought from the schools bookstore which also sells various software for cheap--and I believe one of you mentioned a deal Microsoft had for students, I believe its this same disc. So if I'm understanding correctly, after I build this i just pop the disc in, boot it up and do an install, and then do it again and it should work?

and as I've yet to order the parts I'll probably attempt this before I buy another OS, as i can probably just find one in town if I really need to

---------- Post added 2011-05-31 at 08:42 PM ----------

Goat, Just as a clarification I install then just deny the registration?

Ah so just to clarify, I dont need to get another OS to upgrade this? What I have is this:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    64-bit x64 Upgrade: Pre-existing OS License Required

this is what it says on the disc i have, It was bought from the schools bookstore which also sells various software for cheap--and I believe one of you mentioned a deal Microsoft had for students, I believe its this same disc. So if I'm understanding correctly, after I build this i just pop the disc in, boot it up and do an install, and then do it again and it should work?

and as I've yet to order the parts I'll probably attempt this before I buy another OS, as i can probably just find one in town if I really need to
    Correct, the first install just does like some crappy shell version, has minimum stuff and only lasts 30 days.

So then u put in the disc again, at the cd prompt, choose Upgrade, it will allow u to install the full version and then when its done, register it and ur good to go!

Deleted
    I'll save you a lot of headache;
    read the manual.

your motherboard, OS, dvd reader and every other component of your new computer comes with one.

awesome, thanks for the help everyone

Just Google "Clean Install from Windows 7 Upgrade" and you will find several sites/blogs with step-by-step instruction on how to circumvent the upgrade limitation.

For the price you will pay for a craptastic version of Vista to upgrade from....you are better off "from an IT perspective at least" the just go with a fresh new install of Win 7

Trust me, I'm A+ and Network+ certified....upgrading windows is trash and if you plan on building a new rig, just find a buddy who is enrolled in college and see if you can have him buy you a student version for cheap. If not.....a new version of Win 7 is pretty cheap now anywho.

PS. Make sure its 64 bit ...which I'm pretty sure all current versions of Win 7 are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohx View Post
    For the price you will pay for a craptastic version of Vista to upgrade from....you are better off "from an IT perspective at least" the just go with a fresh new install of Win 7

Trust me, I'm A+ and Network+ certified....upgrading windows is trash and if you plan on building a new rig, just find a buddy who is enrolled in college and see if you can have him buy you a student version for cheap. If not.....a new version of Win 7 is pretty cheap now anywho.

PS. Make sure its 64 bit ...which I'm pretty sure all current versions of Win 7 are.
    or you find a buddy that has msdnaa and can give you a copy for free!

15+ Year Old Account
    Student discount Windows 7 64 bit Pro with disc shipped to your door for $46. $30 for no disk but a download link to a direct download and or a ISO. I picked the Disc option just to have that backup.

Student discount link
    http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/...w/default.aspx

method(s) for making a Upgrade to full version.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-upgrade-media