Poll: Dwarf

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    whats wrong with orcs being out during the day ?
    Nothing, apart from the little fact that orcs cannot stand the sunlight, much like vampires. Hence why Sauron darkens the sky when he sends his army.

Quote Originally Posted by lollze View Post
    Nothing, apart from the little fact that orcs cannot stand the sunlight, much like vampires. Hence why Sauron darkens the sky when he sends his army.
    but its stated in the book that they will go out in the sun, for reasons like their chieftain killed or they are really pissed off or whatever.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    I never really been a lord of the rings fan, just never been my fancy. Dragged to see this, and while it wasn't bad, I wouldn't sat it was good. Parts of the movie to me just seemed that scenes and events happened to quickly, messing up the flow. This was mainly in the beginning. Gandalf seemed inconsistent to me as well. Maybe the fanbase just builds him up as some badass, but honestly besides when they were captured by goblins, he seemed kinda meh all around. Love me some Martin Freeman though, great actor. And Ian is a good actor too of course
    Gandolf was inconsistent how? If you mean he kept disappearing, well that's what he kept doing in the book, even more actually. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    The Simarillion would be a painful movie. The book was pretty tedious.
    There's far too much in it too, IMO. It might make an okay TV series or something, if it were scripted to be less history bookish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    but its stated in the book that they will go out in the sun, for reasons like their chieftain killed or they are really pissed off or whatever.
    Havent read the books in years, but I am pretty sure that you're thinking of GOBLINS, as orcs do not have chieftains.
    They sometimes have a self imposed leader, and they dont care enough about him to go avenge him.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    My disappointment in Thorin was...c'mon, he's your lead dwarf. You call THAT a dwarf beard? He looked more like a human ranger or something.
    During the opening scene, I actually thought he was some emissary from Dale(or whatever the human "kingdom" next to Erebor is called), because he definately didn't look like a dwarf.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2012-12-19 at 07:47 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Oh, I do realize that now, I just wanted to share my first thoughts about it for some reason. But about what I said about two names:

Although, this is taken from wikipedia. So I'm not sure how accurate it is. Began reading Unfinished Tales a few days ago but I haven't gotten to anything about the Istari yet, and I only have part 1-2 of The History of Middle Earth. (according to wikipedia, these new names appear in volume 12)
    Well, the istari are ainur and have a "real" name that was used among them. Gandalf's real name is for example Olórin, Saruman's is Curumo and Radagast's is Aiwendil. Alatar and Pallando are the such names of the blue wizards.

Morinehtar and Rómestámo are probably the names they have "acquired" after they arrived in Middle-Earth (such as Mithrandir, or Gandalf, or Curunír).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    Well, the istari are ainur and have a "real" name that was used among them. Gandalf's real name is for example Olórin, Saruman's is Curumo and Radagast's is Aiwendil. Alatar and Pallando are the such names of the blue wizards.

Morinehtar and Rómestámo are probably the names they have "acquired" after they arrived in Middle-Earth (such as Mithrandir, or Gandalf, or Curunír).
    Ah, but only probably. It's never specified what's their real name, or if Tolkien decided to change their names. He apparantly had a thing for giving characters and places names and suddenly changing them. ..To be fair, I actually never thought about what you Said before, only thing that crossed my mind was new names. It's nice to get opinions from others who knows their lore.

I thought Curunir was his real name.. I really should get around to reading those books!
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snore View Post
    It was a good movie apart from the whole Azog plot. Why did they add that?

Also I cringed at the Goblin King's last line.
    Funny, I really liked the Azog plot... it added an extra threat, and I seem to be one of the few who really liked the way they made Azog the Defiler?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verazh View Post
    Funny, I really liked the Azog plot... it added an extra threat, and I seem to be one of the few who really liked the way they made Azog the Defiler?
    I quite liked him. I don't mind his appearance, but what I really enjoyed was his voice.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    Saw it last night, IMAX 3D. Bloody brilliant film, the frame rate was a non-issue and the film was fantastic. Just make sure to get the right seat if you go to an IMAX to see it. I was seated near the right side of the theatre near the back, but there were issues with the offset frames to the far left of the screen just because of the size of it.
    I'd imagine if you were seat dead centre, this wouldn't be a problem at all.

EDIT: The only real bugbear with me was Azog. Not that he was added at all or anything like that, but the fact that the CGI was so obvious for him more than any of the other fauna of middle earth. I just wished they'd used a real human actor for him and just got prosethetics to do what worked so well in the LOTR.
    Last edited by mmoc18c6ab442b; 2012-12-19 at 10:39 AM.

Can I possibly get an idea of where in the book it says that? I don't think that is exactly right. I mean the whole point of the Uruk-hai (aside from just in general being stronger than orcs) was they could travel and fight by day with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by thomolithic View Post
    The only real bugbear with me was Azog. Not that he was added at all or anything like that, but the fact that the CGI was so obvious for him more than any of the other fauna of middle earth. I just wished they'd used a real human actor for him and just got prosethetics to do what worked so well in the LOTR.
    That bothered me as well. I really wish they had done that as well. The way they meshed miniatures, real actors, and CGI was part of what made the LotR movies so impressive to me. Now it feels like they are relying on CGI too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Can I possibly get an idea of where in the book it says that? I don't think that is exactly right. I mean the whole point of the Uruk-hai (aside from just in general being stronger than orcs) was they could travel and fight by day with no problems.
    Haldir tells the Fellowship that Orcs will pursue enemies for long distances, even during the day, to avenge the death of a chieftain.
    http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Goblins
    It implies that Orcs (otherwise known as goblins) have some kind of difficulty in the sun. This is obviously not from The Hobbit, though, but from FotR
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    does anyone know if peter jackson will do the similiarion movie after the hobbit is finished
    Can never say these things are 100%, but I could almost guarentee the Silmarillion will never be made into a movie. I love the book, but the scope is just too massive to be made into a movie of any length.
    The book in general is too vague (The valar's assault on Angand? The sundering of Beleriand), yet there are sections that are massively detailed (ungoliant and her deal with morgoth to snuff out the lights) .

Unless they used material from the Histories of middle earth, a movie would be too light. If they did use material from said histories, the movie would be ridiculous.

Also, it's really not the type of material I think Peter Jackson would be comfortable with adapting. For the type of movie as I think it would be, Ang Lee would be the best choice, the guy has just got a vision for challenges no-one else wants to (Life of Pi is AMAZINGGGGG!)

If you want the Silmarillion in another format, you should look up the Album 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' by Blind Guardian. It's a frigging fantastic concept album covering the Silmarillion to the sound of some of the only Power Metal I can stand

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you there. Though it still bothered me far more that Orcs were out during the day.
    I had completely forgotten about that. Very good point. Though I think PJ did it in LOTR too didn't he? Considering the other things he's changed, ignoring the Orc/Goblins "disdain" for sunlight is probably pretty minor though.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 08:25 AM ----------

Havent read the books in years, but I am pretty sure that you're thinking of GOBLINS, as orcs do not have chieftains.
    They sometimes have a self imposed leader, and they dont care enough about him to go avenge him.
    Pretty much the same thing.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Orc

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 08:33 AM ----------

That bothered me as well. I really wish they had done that as well. The way they meshed miniatures, real actors, and CGI was part of what made the LotR movies so impressive to me. Now it feels like they are relying on CGI too much.
    It really stands out when you compare pictures of Azog to Bolg. Bolg is just as obviously not CGI as Azog obviously is. It doesn't ruin the movie but it throws speed bumps in front of you that didn't need to be there.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fili and Thorin look like Nicolas Cage

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Goblins
    It implies that Orcs (otherwise known as goblins) have some kind of difficulty in the sun. This is obviously not from The Hobbit, though, but from FotR
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I had completely forgotten about that. Very good point. Though I think PJ did it in LOTR too didn't he? Considering the other things he's changed, ignoring the Orc/Goblins "disdain" for sunlight is probably pretty minor though.
    Well in LotR you have the Uruk-hai who were bread to be able to be out in the daylight without suffering any ill effects. However, now that I think about it more the Uruk-hai do meet up with the Mordor Orcs (which is why they get into a fight about where to take the ring). I think in the movie they met-up during the daytime (but didn't get into the fight until night), but I am not sure. I am also not sure exactly how all that happened in the book either. If Tolkien did have it happen during daytime though that would be interesting. I'll have to take a look at stuff when I get home tonight and see.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    It really stands out when you compare pictures of Azog to Bolg. Bolg is just as obviously not CGI as Azog obviously is. It doesn't ruin the movie but it throws speed bumps in front of you that didn't need to be there.
    That's pretty much it. As soon as I saw him I immediately thought "oh they completely CGI'ed him" which took me out of the movie for a moment.

In Middle earth, goblins=orcs.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 03:45 PM ----------

Well in LotR you have the Uruk-hai who were bread to be able to be out in the daylight without suffering any ill effects. However, now that I think about it more the Uruk-hai do meet up with the Mordor Orcs (which is why they get into a fight about where to take the ring). I think in the movie they met-up during the daytime (but didn't get into the fight until night), but I am not sure. I am also not sure exactly how all that happened in the book either. If Tolkien did have it happen during daytime though that would be interesting. I'll have to take a look at stuff when I get home tonight and see.

That's pretty much it. As soon as I saw him I immediately thought "oh they completely CGI'ed him" which took me out of the movie for a moment.
    Yeah the difference was Uruk-Hai could go in the Day time no problem, orcs really hated it, but would if they were enraged for some reason.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the difference was Uruk-Hai could go in the Day time no problem, orcs really hated it, but would if they were enraged for some reason.
    Or driven to it by a strong enough "power," like Saruman or Sauron. Think I recall a Warg scene in LOTR where Orcs are going after Rohan refugees under a bright sun. Probably just another PJ thing to help them show up better on the screen.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.