Poll: Dwarf

Page 43 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    I didn't realize there was an option to view the 48 fps. I just assumed it would always be in that format. I guess I just saw the 24 fps then. Was the 48 only if you went to the 3d movie or something?
    From the theaters I looked at HFR was only available in 3D. 3D is actually pretty good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Adding more then 60 would be pointless because we would just miss the added on frames since our eyes couldn't see that much. As said though, 48 FPS is already the newest tech, it's amazing just hearing the Cameron already has the tech to do 60 FPS (which really isn't all too surprising seeing the amount of money he puts towards technology).
    No, that's a fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zox2 View Post
    What I don't really get is why did they stop at 48? Why not push to 96/100 and have really smooth action all over.
    The cinema equipment would need to be able to handle 60+, and it's probably only able to push a maximum of 60 at the very most (at the "well equipped" cinemas).

You're also supposed to fill in some blanks with your imagination, to draw yourself into the movie. Pushing high frame rates won't make it any better, as it's quite good as it is already.

------------

I saw the 2D version, and I found it a good watch. There was quite a bit of action, but I thought that they would actually fight Smaug.
    I can't say that I've read the book but I'm looking forward to the 2 future parts.

Edit:

At the end of the film, the whole audience started clapping. - Never seen it happen before.
    Last edited by Yohassakura; 2012-12-15 at 01:41 AM.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    I saw the 2D version, and I found it a good watch. There was quite a bit of action, but I thought that they would actually fight Smaug.
    I can't say that I've read the book but I'm looking forward to the 2 future parts.
    Second movie is called "The Desolation of Smaug", you'll probably get that fight there
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    You could watch it in 24 fps, 24 fps + 3D, 48 fps and 48 + 3D I believe. 48 fps might have been exclusive for 3D. A lot of cinemas don't currently have the technology for 48 fps, though.

Do you mean the stone giants? They were in the book. But I don't think the company actually were on the legs of one of them.
    Ok thank you I just didn't remember them I guess.

Second movie is called "The Desolation of Smaug", you'll probably get that fight there
    There is going to be three movies right? I am interested to see how they will split up the book.
    Last edited by worprz; 2012-12-15 at 01:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's been out for over 60 years, but how many teens these days actually sit down to read a book? I'm guessing a lot of people on these forums are teens, and among my friends (I'm a teen) few have even finished a whole book outside of school assignments.
    As an avid reader in two languages, as true as it is thinking about it makes me pretty sad.

One of the best things about Tolkein's works is that every time you read through it, you pick up on little details you missed the last time
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-12-15 at 01:23 AM.

Deleted
    Yes, it's been out for over 60 years, but how many teens these days actually sit down to read a book? I'm guessing a lot of people on these forums are teens, and among my friends (I'm a teen) few have even finished a whole book outside of school assignments. And, the mods asked us to put things concerning the movie in spoiler tags, so I'm doing so.

And talking about something from the book and comparing it to the movie should be considered spoilers, in my opinion.

on a gaming forum i guess a lot of people do a bit of reading, were not normal people on here

Just got home from watching it. Was awesome, didn't leave me breathless like LOTR did (then again I seen them all when I was under 10). The 48fps was strange, it felt too smooth for me, but it was good.

Their was a bit too much comedy during tension filled scenes for my liking, but the scenes with golem had the whole cinema crying with laughter which I enjoyed a lot. One thing I don't understand is, is when Gandalf saves them with the eagles, why couldn't they fly them to the mountain? Apart from that good movie, looking forward for the next 2 parts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Their was a bit too much comedy during tension filled scenes for my liking, but the scenes with golem had the whole cinema crying with laughter which I enjoyed a lot. One thing I don't understand is, is when Gandalf saves them with the eagles, why couldn't they fly them to the mountain? Apart from that good movie, looking forward for the next 2 parts
    I hope you understand the implications of actually asking that question.

10+ Year Old Account
    No worries

There is going to be three movies right? I am interested to see how they will split up the book.
    If I got it right, Smaug will be defeated in the second movie, and the third movie will focus on the battle that takes place afterwards. However, there is so much taking place between this movie's end and Smaug's downfall, I'm incredibly curious about how they'll make it all fit without rushing through.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    As an avid reader in two languages, as true as it is thinking about it makes me pretty sad.
    You're not alone. I have two friends who are very avid readers, though, so my faith is not entirely lost.

One of the best things about Tolkein's works is that every time you read through it, you pick up on little details you missed the last time
    I'm note sure if you intended it, but what you just said is pretty much exactly what came out of the mouth of Sir Christopher Lee! (He who plays Saruman, for those who don't know)
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Just got home from watching it. Was awesome, didn't leave me breathless like LOTR did (then again I seen them all when I was under 10). The 48fps was strange, it felt too smooth for me, but it was good.

If I remember correctly it is actually explained in the book. I think it had something to do with the humans shooting them down or something.

When i saw the 3D version late weds night in the US i loved it. Looking forward to seeing part 2 the same time next year.

10+ Year Old Account

It's a recurring problem in Tolkein's works; really the only time that you see eagles aren't overpowered is in the Salmarillion. Looking back at it, the use of deus ex machina really wasn't as problematic when Tolkein was writing, and was prevalent in the folk tales and mythologies that he drew from.

I'm note sure if you intended it, but what you just said is pretty much exactly what came out of the mouth of Sir Christopher Lee! (He who plays Saruman, for those who don't know)
    Ahaha, no I wasn't aware, although that is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Can't wait to go back to Middle Earth although it sucks a bit knowing the story won't be as epic as in LotR.
    Precisely, I personally dislike prequels such as The Hobbit, because you know what will happen. Bilbo Baggins find the ring (or stole it from Gollum), and he gives it to Frodo.

The hobbit will not be as epic as LOTR movies, not even close. It is probably just a filler, or just to tell the tale of that book from LOTR (the story of Bilbo).

I don't think im gonna watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolman View Post
    Precisely, I personally dislike prequels such as The Hobbit, because you know what will happen. Bilbo Baggins find the ring (or stole it from Gollum), and he gives it to Frodo.

The hobbit will not be as epic as LOTR movies, not even close. It is probably just a filler, or just to tell the tale of that book from LOTR (the story of Bilbo).

The Hobbit was written far before the Lord of the Rings, and the LotR is a sequel to the Hobbit more then the Hobbit being a prequel to Lord of the Rings. A Hobbit animated feature was even made years ago before the movie trilogy came out. Jackson just decided to make the LotR into movies before the Hobbit.

Tolkien created the world of Middle-Earth with The Hobbit as a high fantasy tale, then went darker and more political with LotR.

Also, calling it a filler is pretty weak, it's the same story world as LotR, and just as important.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2012-12-15 at 02:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolman View Post

The Hobbit came first; he didn't start writing "The New Hobbit" which would later become the Fellowship of the Ring until five years after that, after getting the Salmarillion into a rough draft and having it rejected. Another thing to note is that Bilbo's acquiring the ring is a secondary, or even tertiary aspect of The Hobbit. The two stories are distinctly separate in all but that regard.

---------- Post added 2012-12-15 at 03:43 AM ----------

A Hobbit animated feature was even made years ago before the movie trilogy came out. Jackson just decided to make the LotR into movies before the Hobbit.
    If I remember correctly, he even wanted to do the Hobbit first, but couldn't because the owners of the animated version adamantly refused to hand over the copyright.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another thing to note is that Bilbo's acquiring the ring is a secondary, or even tertiary aspect of The Hobbit. The two stories are distinctly separate in all but that regard.
    Exactly, you could even call the ring a complete gimmick. In the Hobbit he meant it as a way to give Bilbo a better advantage, and decided to use that as a focal point in the sequel book series just because Bilbo kept it.

If he decided to end the Hobbit with Bilbo losing the ring and going back home, the Lord of the Rings may have never even existed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, you could even call the ring a complete gimmick. In the Hobbit he meant it as a way to give Bilbo a better advantage, and decided to use that as a focal point in the sequel book series just because Bilbo kept it.

If he decided to end the Hobbit with Bilbo losing the ring and going back home, the Lord of the Rings may have never even existed.
    I'm not quite sure about that... his incorporation of the rings of power in the Silmarillion indicates, at least from my perspective, that he always intended the ring to have a deeper purpose. I don't remember the exact date, but I'm fairly certain the first sketch of the Silmarillion was finished in the 1920's. Rings are a pretty important aspect of lore from his source material, and that the ring came from the darkest depths of the earth can be symbolic in itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not quite sure about that... his incorporation of the rings of power in the Silmarillion indicates, at least from my perspective, that he always intended the ring to have a deeper purpose. I don't remember the exact date, but I'm fairly certain the first sketch of the Silmarillion was finished in the 1920's. Rings are a pretty important aspect of lore from his source material, and that the ring came from the darkest depths of the earth can be symbolic in itself.
    I don't doubt he meant from the beginning to give the ring a deeper meaning, but in the end the meaning of getting the ring in the story was to give him more abilities/power to better match his comrades and help him do his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    My experience was a funny one. Got to the theater about an 70 minutes before show time. Looked down the hall where all the entrances where and there was no line up but there was quite a few people in my lobby. Got my popcorn and started towards the hall when a girl announced in the lobby they can start lining up. Due to positioning I ended up 9th in line with 8 girls in front of me. Of course, trying to juggle popcorn and pop I ended up dropping and spilling the popcorn twice. /facepalm.

However, I ended up with a good seat and they gave us "Hobbit" style 3D glasses which was cool. However, due to technical difficulties the movie was delayed by an hour. They ended up giving us a free coupon for a movie so it was worth the wait. The time flew by as the girl beside me started talking with me even though she was there with her boyfriend/husband. I hope he wasn't thinking I was hitting on her.

The movie was like seeing an old friend. I'm so glad Peter Jackson ended up doing it. I love how he makes the movies so you never want the story to end. It could be a 12 hour long movie and even though my ass would be sore I would have loved every moment. Can't wait for 2 and 3.

Best part is in 2 weeks I'm going to see it again so have the opportunity to see the fast frame version. Can't wait.

Edit: I forgot what trailers did you guys get? We only got 4. Oz and Jack The Giant Slayer both which had been released a few weeks ago. Then Oblivion and Superman which got released this week. No Star Trek, Pacific Rim or After Earth. It was also interesting to see a commercial for World Of Warcraft: MOP on the big screen.
    I got Pacific Rim, After Earth, and Warm Bodies, and one of my friends who saw it in a different theater got Star Trek, Superman, and Jack the Giant Slayer.

As a whole though the more I think about it the more I liked the movie, and am excited for the next two installments (which both look like they will amount to something great).

I didn't see it in 48 fps so I can't talk about that but the visuals were still fantastic, and I actually really enjoyed all of the humor in this movie.

My main complaint was the head orc though (the defiler), he seemed very basic as a villain and not all that menacing.
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2012-12-15 at 03:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rings has always had a big and important role in history and old legends, so Tolkien using them is almost a given, thinking about his superior knowledge of such things. I'm quite unsure if he even intended for The Hobbit to take place in Middle-Earth, or if he just wrote that one famous line "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit" without any meaning behind it, and just realized that it could take place in his already created Middle-Earth. If so, I doubt he had any plans for the ring.

He didn't really plan to make a sequel to The Hobbit to begin with, so on a personal level I agree with Zath on this one. If I remember correctly, after publishing The Hobbit all he wanted was to keep going on Silmarillion, which he did, although he never published it. ..Now that I think about it, I do remember something about him being annoyed at his choice of words at the end of The Hobbit when he started thinking about it's sequel (showing that he didn't plan to make one at first), because it stated that Bilbo was going to live happily ever after, so nothing bad could ever happen to him after his unexpected journey.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt