Poll: Dwarf

Page 11 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    God yes, oh god yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. I can't wait for this to come out, I'll be reading the book again right now because of this trailer.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Is it only me, or half of the dwarfs don't even look like dwarfs? Especially Thorin, he looks completely human :P

And Galadriel is in the movie? And after checking in IMDB it seems Legolas, Elrond, and Saruman are also in the film? Sorry, but not looking forward to Jackson bastardizing one of my favourite childhood books.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    And Galadriel is in the movie? And after checking in IMDB it seems Legolas, Elrond, and Saruman are also in the film? Sorry, but not looking forward to Jackson bastardizing one of my favourite childhood books.
    I disagree. I thinks it's great that he's including the war between the White Council and Sauron even though it was mostly off-page in the book.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it only me, or half of the dwarfs don't even look like dwarfs? Especially Thorin, he looks completely human :P

Elrond is already in The Hobbit. He's the one that sees the moon letters on Thorin's map, remember?

As for Galadriel and Saruman, they were part, with Gandalf, Elrond and Rhadagast (and Cirdàn the Shipwright I think) of the White Council. The White Council fought Sauron (the Necromancer of The Hobbit) at his fortress of Mirkwood, Dol Guldur. This event is mentionned in the book, and Peter Jackson will show it to us.

As for Legolas, he is the son of Thranduil, the Elven King of The Hobbit. It is logical to see him there, even if he's not mentionned in The Hobbit.

We will also see Frodo and the old Bilbo. It will probably be used as an introduction to the story. The movie will be about Bilbo telling his story to Frodo.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a young Aragorn in Rivendell. He was living there during his childhood afterall.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2011-12-21 at 05:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its that time again... Time for my wife to look at me strangely as I giggle like a school girl watching movie trailers.

She still makes fun of me for crying when Snape died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

How silly. Saruman and Galadriel are both in the book, as is Elrond, and Legolas should have been in the book if logic is being followed.

With how incredible the original movies were, and still are, I have every bit of faith in Peter Jackson to make the Hobbit an incredible movie. Given how much I LOVED the LotR books - and I read them long before I ever saw the movies - Jackson is one of the only film makers that I would ever trust to not bastardize the Hobbit. Read his blog on http://www.thehobbitblog.com/?catego...=peter-jackson and you'll see a man who has not only the utmost respect for his source material, but a serious, enduring love for it. He's not doing this as a cash-in, he's doing it because he would love nothing more than to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    How silly. Saruman and Galadriel are both in the book, as is Elrond, and Legolas should have been in the book if logic is being followed.
    No, Saruman and Galadriel are not in The Hobbit. Legolas could not have been in it since it was written years before The Lord of the Rings. But it is now logical, knowing what has been said in LotR about the events of The Hobbit, to include them in The Hobbit movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    No, Saruman and Galadriel are not in The Hobbit. Legolas could not have been in it since it was written years before The Lord of the Rings. But it is now logical, knowing what has been said in LotR about the events of The Hobbit, to include them in The Hobbit movie.
    They were in the white council, hence, in the Hobbit :P It makes sense, it'd be an anachronism otherwise. Flashbacks were important in LotR because of how often Tolkein refers to historical events, so they'll probably be just as important of a storytelling tool here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    They were in the white council, hence, in the Hobbit :P It makes sense, it'd be an anachronism otherwise. Flashbacks were important in LotR because of how often Tolkein refers to historical events, so they'll probably be just as important of a storytelling tool here.
    Yes, but they are not mentionned at all by words in the book, so they are not in the book. After LotR, we know they were there, in the action, so it is perfectly plausible and does not bastardize The Hobbit at all to put them in the movie. It's like Anasterian, King of Quel'thalas. We know he was there fighting the Scourge in Silvermoon. But we don't see him at all in Warcraft 3, so he's not in Warcraft 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Elrond is already in The Hobbit. He's the one that sees the moon letters on Thorin's map, remember?

As for Galadriel and Saruman, they were part, with Gandalf, Elrond and Rhadagast (and Cirdàn the Shipwright I think) of the White Council. The White Council fought Sauron (the Necromancer of The Hobbit) at his fortress of Mirkwood, Dol Guldur. This event is mentionned in the book, and Peter Jackson will show it to us.

As for Legolas, he is the son of Thranduil, the Elven King of The Hobbit. It is logical to see him there, even if he's not mentionned in The Hobbit.

We will also see Frodo and the old Bilbo. It will probably be used as an introduction to the story. The movie will be about Bilbo telling his story to Frodo.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a young Aragorn in Rivendell. He was living there during his childhood afterall.
    Thanks for the great reply, I admit it makes more sense now. You are right, Elrond does appear briefly in the book, but he does play a very important role in the story.

I knew about the White Council, but had such a brief mention in the book that I wasn't expecting it to be shown in the film. I guess if Jackson is going to turn the book into two 3-hour long movies, he has to show absolutely everything.

I guess I am quite skeptical because I didn't 100% enjoy the LotR movies. I could absolutely not stand Elijah Wood's performance, and that ruined every scene with Frodo for me. However, I do love Martin Freeman and I'm sure he'll do a much much better job.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I am not ashamed to say I had tears in my eyes the moment Thorin Oakenshield started singing. There is something truly magical that flows through the very fibers of Middle Earth. December '12 cannot come soon enough.

Still waters run deep.

Deleted

This will be one hell of ride.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Want it NAO!

The scene where Thorin began to sing instantaneously reminded me of this, by the way... dammit, now I have to rewatch all the movies. Better bunker down for the weekend.

10+ Year Old Account
    The song the dwarves are singing are actually a song from the book

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw the trailer...this must be what girls feel like after they see a new twilight trailer.

I would kill a newly born puppy to watch this movie right now.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    I saw the trailer...this must be what girls feel like after they see a new twilight trailer.
    I would kill a newly born puppy to watch this movie right now.
    You are weird...

All it made me want to do is read the book so I downloaded it to kindle for 10bucks

I got chills when Thorin started to sing. And the song actually was in the book. What I really, really hope for, is that when Bilbo and the dwarves get captured by the goblins, that there will be something along the lines of the song "Down to Goblintown" that was in the old Hobbit animated movie from the 70s. I can't really remember if that song was in the book or not.

I cannot wait until this time next year. Why oh why did it have to be a year away?! And then we have to wait yet another damn year after that to watch the 2nd half.

After looking at it, i go out and walk around my office, my co-worker looks down and so do I.

Is it wrong to get a boner from watching this? specially the gollum part, riddles in the dark is my favorite part of the book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Anyways if you want to keep up with Hobbit news/production check it out.

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....81557&comments
    www.theonering.net has been around since before FoTR was released, and PJ himself posts to the forums there on occasion. I didn't read the entire thread, so my apologies if this has already been posted. http://theonering.net

As for the trailer... yeah... completely epic, and I've watched it probably 10 times. I love the way the dwarf chanting develops into a full orchestral score. Beautiful.