Poll: Dwarf

Page 37 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I've got one across the river but I'm not going to waste money for 48fps if that means its only those 3d screens. If they had it on the regular screens I might pay extra for it but not those glasses nonsense.
    I believe 48FPS is the same cost as 24 FPS.

I am going to see it in 24 FPS for the premiere just so the 48 FPS doesn't cast the judgement on whether I like the movie or not (since nearly all of the bad/mixed reviews it has gotten so far have been about the 48 FPS)

10+ Year Old Account
    My plan is to hopefully see it in both FPS.

However the first time around will be 24 FPS as I'd rather just see a traditional formatted movie about a book and world I love, plus my aunt's manager of a cinema so I get in for free (It's one of the cinemas in 24 fps).

Another good review that seems to cover much of the film from the perspective of a LOTR fan - http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...ected-journey/

I'm quite happy to see it doing well. Seems the only real problem is the frame rate which I hear is hit or miss. It makes me wonder if the DvD release will have the option for both.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-12-09 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    Oh yea, I'm not sure if this was ever posted here in the Forum ... But there's alot of Stupid videos on youtube and shit where they simply just double the speed of the trailer and say it's a "48FPS Example"... However this here is a much better representation of what it will look like.

http://www.lukeletellier.com/?portfo...ailer-to-48fps

It's still not exactly what it will look like when it comes onto the theater screen, but this chap has done a proper post-conversion and it gives you a much better idea of what the film will look like.
    It does look quicker, wonder if it's the right thing for humans.
    Regardless, I'm going to see it in 48fps, hope I'm not going to be Derpy Hooves when I leave.

Looking through the negative reviews of the film, it seems that while there are some complaints about the 48fps version, a lot go on about the length of the film, as though it's neither needed nor wanted. I noted that some of the reviewers had in the past, however, lauded over the 11 hour audio-book of the Hobbit.

Addendum: One of them even complains that The Hobbit feels as though it was designed specifically for fans of the books. Rather than 'everybody'.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-12-10 at 01:52 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    People saying that they cannot see more than X amount of frames per second are being mislead. Do some research first.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Looking through the negative reviews of the film, it seems that while there are some complaints about the 48fps version, a lot go on about the length of the film, as though it's neither needed nor wanted. I noted that some of the reviewers had in the past, however, lauded over the 11 hour audio-book of the Hobbit.

Addendum: One of them even complains that The Hobbit feels as though it was designed specifically for fans of the books. Rather than 'everybody'.
    The more time in Middle-Earth the better. This is a movie for the nerdy fans not the pretentious reviewers. They also bitched and moaned about the length of the LotR movies....so screw 'em.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    peter jackson said in a interview that "he doesn't care about making a movie the world wants to see, he makes movies for himself."

die hard lotr fans will love the film. the rest will say 48 fps doesnt feel right and that its too long. fuck em.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    The more time in Middle-Earth the better. This is a movie for the nerdy fans not the pretentious reviewers. They also bitched and moaned about the length of the LotR movies....so screw 'em.
    Well all three movies are already made so it doesn't really matter a whole lot about how many like them. It could completely bomb and I'll still take the kids to them. I'm fine with seeing it in 48 or 24. I'm just not going to pay for the 3d nonsense. I did that with one movie and felt it was a complete waste of money. Kids wouldn't keep the glasses on and the "3d" didn't impress them when they did.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Well all three movies are already made so it doesn't really matter a whole lot about how many like them. It could completely bomb and I'll still take the kids to them. I'm fine with seeing it in 48 or 24. I'm just not going to pay for the 3d nonsense. I did that with one movie and felt it was a complete waste of money. Kids wouldn't keep the glasses on and the "3d" didn't impress them when they did.
    Well the main filming is done so it's unlikely that any big sequences are going to change dramatically, and the story is certainly nailed down tight. They did go back and do some re-shooting for ROTK and TTT, so I'm sure if they decide a scene or few isn't working out exactly they will change bits and pieces but nothing dramatic will happen. In the end it doesn't matter what the reviewers say, the wheels are in motion, the scripts are finished and filmed. So now we just await our viewings and based off what I've read in some of the more nerdy corners of the internet, people who actually are LOTR geeks and not just random reviewers, it's going to be absolutely fantastic.

I didn't even realise that some people can't see 3D or get Headaches/Motion sickness from it till like a month ago when someone was talking about not wanting to see The Hobbit in 3D. Learn something new everyday eh? Frankly if you've got kids I think not seeing in 3D is a wise choice, but perhaps 48 wouldn't be so bad. Kids are able to comprehend that kind of crazy, fast moving action stuff really well, so in 48 Frames they'd probably have an easier time keeping up with it then alot of adults IMO.

However that being said, if what PJ has stated is anything to go by (But he's probably biased in this case), 48 Frames is supposed to Vastly improve 3D. It's why 3D works so well in games, because the higher framerate just creates a much more seamless and beautifully moving environment for the 3D to work in, and that's what I'm imagining will happen in The Hobbit.

I watched that 48fps clip, it hurt my head. Everything is so crisp and smooth and clean/fast it's really strange, I'm not sure if I dislike it but I almost think it might give me a headache if I have to sit there watching it for 3 hours. It certaintly doesnt have that artistic "film" sheen to it, looked really bizarre. Anyway, none of the cinema's round here actually have 48fps supported so I will be watching in 24fps.

As for 3D, i've never seen a movie in 3D before. Not sure If it's really going to be my cup of tea, we have a 3DS Nintendo here and usually the 3D slider is just turned off, it fries your brain quite fast.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched the 48fps trailer someone made, and I really enjoyed it. But I loathe anything 3D (could work with 48fps as PJ said, tho).

But of course, the cinema I'm going to only has 24fps and 3D.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    I watched the 48fps trailer someone made, and I really enjoyed it. But I loathe anything 3D (could work with 48fps as PJ said, tho).

But of course, the cinema I'm going to only has 24fps and 3D.
    I really need a better office computer that can actually manage to download and run that trailer.

I watched the entire GG's video in your signature. Man Korea does such a better job of girl bands than the US and UK. Our dynamic usually only includes 1-2 girls who are "the hot one." That is literally the entire dynamic of Girl's Generation. They are all ridiculously cute. I spent the whole video trying to figure out who was the hottest and the answer was all of them.

Here is something I found that's a little fun to read, it was an imdb user's review of the hobbit, I know it is not a truly serious review, but it made me laugh at how overblown it is.

"Some love stories are built on passion, some on courage and some on hope. Very rarely do you come across a love story that encompasses itself around a journey. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey introduces us to the world of Bilbo Baggins, who mirrors the most innocent of sentiments which lie locked up within the depths of our heart. He wins us over in the first frame, because he is one among us. It is not his heroism which makes him surreal, but his vulnerability which makes him endear-able. The audience falls in love with Bilbo because he is scared of the unknown just like us. What makes him a hero is his conviction and spirit, which makes him embark on a wide-spread journey for the search of love and faith. It is somewhere in that journey, that you no longer root for Peter Jackson and his victory, but for Bilbo and his belief, which makes The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey a winner right from the opening credits.

His name is Bilbo, Bilbo Baggins. Brought up in an unforgiving society, Bilbo battles the alternate evils of racial profile and scornful peers with equal focus, trying to make sense of the world that burns homes, bullies people at school and make a false show of sympathy. He goes by the doctrine of Gandalf the Grey, who teaches him that there are two classes of people in the world, those who are good and would offer a lollipop and those who are bad and would point a sharp stick. There is no caste, creed or religion but just people who shape the world. It is this philosophy which Bilbo carries forward in his love and faith, painting his journey in a collage of alternate light and dark emotions, shadow plays of human nature which guides him to the world or perhaps, guides the world towards him.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is appreciable because of its brilliance, acceptable for its nobility and unquestionable in its integrity. Peter Jackson weaves in a tale of love, faith, strength and humanity within a cinematic frame of timeless minutes pulling out a riveting and compelling human drama of innocence poised against the system, through the filtered sensibilities of a patient suffering from the effects of an enchanter's ring, one who cannot understand the world, but love it enough to change it. The keynotes of each frame, drenched with subtle social comments and complex emotional undertones makes the movie an amalgamation of the colors of hope and persistence, with layered textures of unspoken bonds. With Bilbo, Jackson succeeds in bringing the system on trial through the eyes of one who cannot bias himself on any ideology, making his emotions pure and though provoking, which touches the innermost chords of the heart, moistening the eyes and serenading the senses.

The story is filled with emotional subtexts which move at breakneck speed throughout the length of the film, constantly switching gears between the palettes of emotions. The dialogs exude class and confidence holding grip of the story yet laced with the finesse that allows for emotional drama combined with spiritual uprising, casting a satire on the entire system and its treatment of identities. The script penned by Fran Walsh is one of par excellence, allowing the audience to blend into Bilbo through his smiles and tears , laugh in his joy and cringe with every blow dealt to him. The screenplay drops hypocritical moral ambitions to make scathingly relevant comments on modern outlook of the world, making it rise several notches above anything attempted in modern-day Hollywood.

In the end, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey becomes the experience it is because of Bilbo and Gandalf, essayed flawlessly by Freeman and McKellen. Freeman exudes the spirit of Bilbo in every breath and pulse of the film, putting in a performance that is beyond any benchmark of excellence. He controls every single emotional nerve of the audience with vacant stares and dimpled smiles, towering like an illusionist conjuring up a magical performance of a lifetime. He breaks every stereotypical mould attached to him to rise like a phoenix from the ashes with Bilbo , who reigns over the audience in a sweeping wave of emotions, establishing a bond that scales beyond the arc-lights of the 70mm screen. He is complimented by Thorin whose very presence lights up the entire room with just a flashing smile. He balances the sensitivity of love and charm with the emotional conflict of a ravaged heart with effortless poise. The interactions between Freeman and his merry company form the highlights of the film, filled with the cackling chemistry of a uninhibited passion, captivating the audience in the mesmerizing spell of the couple. Elijah Wood as Bilbo's nephew delivers a matured and restrained performance while Hugo Weaving as Eldron blends in simplicity with sensibility in a performance that comes straight from the heart. Benedict Cumberbatch is exceptional as the young Sauron in his mannerisms while the supporting cast all deliver credible performances including Ian Holm in a dazzling cameo.

There will always be movies that enchant us with their magic, but there will hardly be a journey that goes beyond cinematic borders to deliver the experience of a lifetime. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is undoubtedly the new face of global cinema that enthralls with each passing frame, healing the hidden scars of the heart with its message of a better and humane world. There might be superheroes, but there will never be one Bilbo Baggins, who takes pride in being ordinary and yet changes the face of his world.

Earlier time scales used B.C. and A.D. to mark important events. After 14th December 2012, the scales of humanity would mark the world before and after the release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

My Rating- 10/10 (Exceptional!!)"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I really need a better office computer that can actually manage to download and run that trailer.

I watched the entire GG's video in your signature. Man Korea does such a better job of girl bands than the US and UK. Our dynamic usually only includes 1-2 girls who are "the hot one." That is literally the entire dynamic of Girl's Generation. They are all ridiculously cute. I spent the whole video trying to figure out who was the hottest and the answer was all of them.
    They really do, indeed. I have a really hard time with western pop music, but I love it when it comes from Asia. And yes, the answer is "all of them"! :>

OT: 6 hours and 30 minutes to go, can't wait much longer! D:
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    Oh yea, I'm not sure if this was ever posted here in the Forum ... But there's alot of Stupid videos on youtube and shit where they simply just double the speed of the trailer and say it's a "48FPS Example"... However this here is a much better representation of what it will look like.

http://www.lukeletellier.com/?portfo...ailer-to-48fps

It's still not exactly what it will look like when it comes onto the theater screen, but this chap has done a proper post-conversion and it gives you a much better idea of what the film will look like.
    That's the second time I have seen an example of that and I've like it both times. Yeah it does look weird at times but I'm sure when I sit down and see it for 2 hours the weirdness will go away. Im still going to see it in 24 fps since the theater closest to me doesn't have the machines for 48 but I will see it again at 48 just so I can say I did. Really the fps isn't going to have an effect on my feelings of the movie.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

30 minutes to go 'til it's time to go and see how well it worked out! \o/
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I think I've decided on going to see it in 48fps first. Then Imax 3D second time now. I like the 48fps appearance myself, it's strange, but you can just see so clearly what's happening that it seems worth getting used to in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    30 minutes to go 'til it's time to go and see how well it worked out! \o/
    I'm off in 30 minutes myself! Can't honestly say I was this hyped for any of the lotr movies, simply because I wasn't a Tolkien fan before seeing those, even if I did love them instantly. It wasn't until I saw all three that I began reading/re-reading lotr, silmarillion, unfinished tales etc. I had read The Hobbit before watching LotR, so I recognized a few characters.. but that's about it.

30 longest minutes of my life, I kid you not. D:
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    As for 3D, i've never seen a movie in 3D before. Not sure If it's really going to be my cup of tea, we have a 3DS Nintendo here and usually the 3D slider is just turned off, it fries your brain quite fast.
    3d movies are like listening to 5.1 music. Neat for a few minutes, rather annoying for anything after that.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I am excited, will see it in 24 hrs..what a long night that will be.

But reading some reviews I guess it is now cool to start hating on the films... C'mon, how can you say a movie is shite because of a new technology. I bet you laugh now about this:

It is about how Film with sound is stupid, unnecessary and spiritual and commercial murder. That's right folks Apparently it squeaks and ruins artists as well as hearing.
    What am I looking at?

---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 01:08 AM ----------