Poll: Dwarf

Page 40 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    One of the biggest complaints I'm hearing is it's on for too long. The funny thing is a lot of the biggest complaints about LOTR was there wasn't enough of the original story, it had to be butchered to fit into a trilogy. There's just no pleasing some people :P
    Well, the main issue with the too long thing is that Hobbit is really thin book. The entire audiobook version of it only lasts for a bit over 3 hours while LotR is about 60-80 hours long.

Personally I think the first movie of Hobbit worked really well as they managed to add pretty much everything of the book 'til the moment of end along with some nice appendix content and cameos (and some unecessary subplot, looking at you Azog).

But even now the first movie took already first two thirds of the book and I wonder how thin it will get in the two other movies if they want the Hobbit storyline to go along the entire trilogy. Even with appendixes it seems a bit too "extended" right now.

We'll see.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    One of the biggest complaints I'm hearing is it's on for too long. The funny thing is a lot of the biggest complaints about LOTR was there wasn't enough of the original story, it had to be butchered to fit into a trilogy. There's just no pleasing some people :P
    I remember watching the Fellowship of the Ring and at the end of the movie the family in front of us stood up and said "that's it? Where's the rest of it?". Apparently they never expected this to be a trilogy so they were very disappointed.

So you're right, there will always be people complaining. It happened with the original trilogy so it will happen now as well.
    Personally I don't see how something like LOTR or the Hobbit can be fit into a 1,5 hour movie. There's simply too much to make it all fit. It would be horrible.

As soon as Mark Hughes (Forbes Review) made that statement about how he thinks the reviewers were 'Bandwagoning' because they were the same reviewers that relished the glorious length and sweeping nature shots and pointless talking scenes etc, I was completely sold on his review and theory.

Like sure, each LOTR book separately was bigger then The Hobbit, but PJ could have condensed those movies even further. He specifically added tons of slo-mo Frodo dying shots, Glorious Landscapes, Conversations and songs that were in reality unnecessary. It's one of the aspects of LOTR which I enjoy so much, the fact that it's not just some brainless hollywood movie, with action sequence after action sequence. There was substance and he added in so many scenes which in theory weren't necessary, but just made the movie so much better.

So frankly it's disturbing that these reviewers can say how wonderful LOTR was and how great the pacing was, and then trash all over The Hobbit for being to drawn out. To me it just sounds like they had a vendetta against the whole 'Small book into 3 movies' thing before walking into the Cinema, and had already pre-made up their mind and couldn't properly enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Well, the main issue with the too long thing is that Hobbit is really thin book. The entire audiobook version of it only lasts for a bit over 3 hours while LotR is about 60-80 hours long.

Personally I think the first movie of Hobbit worked really well as they managed to add pretty much everything of the book 'til the moment of end along with some nice appendix content and cameos (and some unecessary subplot, looking at you Azog).

But even now the first movie took already first two thirds of the book and I wonder how thin it will get in the two other movies if they want the Hobbit storyline to go along the entire trilogy. Even with appendixes it seems a bit too "extended" right now.

We'll see.
    I liked Azog a lot, he was good at keeping the road interesting to travel. He also looked and were really cool.

But 3 hours of audiobook? Whaat? I remember having it on audiobook, and it was 10 hours long or so. What kind of speedreader manages it in 3 hours?
    Are you sure it's not abridged? Looked around the web, I see versions on 3 hours, but I also see versions on 10-11 hours. Could it be versions that only reads the part the film covers?
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-12-13 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I liked Azog a lot, he was good at keeping the road interesting to travel. He also looked and were really cool.

But 3 hours of audiobook? Whaat? I remember having it on audiobook, and it was 10 hours long or so. What kind of speedreader manages it in 3 hours?
    Are you sure it's not abridged? Looked around the web, I see versions on 3 hours, but I also see versions on 10-11 hours.
    I don't really have opinion on Azog per say, just found the whole subplot totally unecessary. From how I see it, having the orc chase right after troll scene, which was pretty much right after the battle of Moria bit made the whole thing feel a bit too packed. And then in the end having the goblins of the mountain chase the group to the trees (Like in the book) would've worked just as well. + I didn't really like how they mixed the Nazgul song inbetween for the duel

As for the audiobook, the one I have is 3 hours 40 minutes and it includes fairly lax pacing and even some musical bits on the backround. How does one spread it over 10-11 hours? By reading one word per minute?

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I don't really have opinion on Azog per say, just found the whole subplot totally unecessary. From how I see it, having the orc chase right after troll scene, which was pretty much right after the battle of Moria bit made the whole thing feel a bit too packed. And then in the end having the goblins of the mountain chase the group to the trees (Like in the book) would've worked just as well. + I didn't really like how they mixed the Nazgul song inbetween for the duel

As for the audiobook, the one I have is 3 hours 40 minutes and it includes fairly lax pacing and even some musical bits on the backround. How does one spread it over 10-11 hours? By reading one word per minute?
    Hm, I know mine was 10 hours long. Are you SURE it wasn't abridged?

I think Azog enhances the story very much, and he will probably also enhance the Battle of the Five Armies a lot too.

Hm, I know mine was 10 hours long. Are you SURE it wasn't abridged?

I think Azog enhances the story very much, and he will probably also enhance the Battle of the Five Armies a lot too.
    Yeah, I'm 100% it's not abridged and after taking a quick look through Google I didn't find any mentions of the Hobbit audiobook longer than that.

Edit: Found one 10 hour one now, I stand corrected.

Deleted
    i want to go and see this so bad none of my friends are interested, or live close enough to me to go and see it, is it acceptable to go to the cinema by myself?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i want to go and see this so bad none of my friends are interested, or live close enough to me to go and see it, is it acceptable to go to the cinema by myself?
    I went alone. I don't understand why one couldn't do that.

Thought a huge amount of everybody loved LOTR

Deleted
    Thought a huge amount of everybody loved LOTR
    most people do, but a lot of people don't know much about the Hobbit sadly. i got a few friends that really want to see it, but i just moved accross the country, so ima bit far away

most people do, but a lot of people don't know much about the Hobbit sadly. i got a few friends that really want to see it, but i just moved accross the country, so ima bit far away
    Don't know much about The Hobbit!

It's more or less the prequel to LOTR, what else do they need to get their ass into the cinema?

10+ Year Old Account

We'll see.
    I don't know for the last movie, but there is a lot of material for the second. I didn't see the movie yet, but it seems that the movie ends with the Eagles' rescue. So the second movie will start with the crossing of the Carrock. They will then meet Beorn. After, Gandalf will leave the group at Mirkwood's threshold. The action will at this point split in two. Bilbo and the Dwarves will cross Mirkwood, fight the spiders and get captured by the elves. They will escape in barrels and get to Esgaroth. On the other side, Gandalf and the White Council will fight the Necromancer in Dol Guldur. At this point, I don't know what will happen. Since the movie is called The Desolation of Smaug, the Dwarves should be at the Lonely Mountain or on their way by the end of the movie. That means the third movie will deal with Smaug, the Battle of Five Armies and Bilbo's return to the Shire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    The more time in Middle-Earth the better. This is a movie for the nerdy fans not the pretentious reviewers. They also bitched and moaned about the length of the LotR movies....so screw 'em.
    Agreed. Can't wait to get out of class next week and head back to the city to see it!

Deleted
    Don't know much about The Hobbit!

It's more or less the prequel to LOTR, what else do they need to get their ass into the cinema?

sadly not everyone is a fan of this genre

15+ Year Old Account
    With the movie coming out for most people soon, I encourage users who intend to post spoilers to use the spoiler tags when posting. Thanks!

[spoiler]

10+ Year Old Account
    Do the Trolls call each other boobies like in the book .

10+ Year Old Account
    Just saw to movie!
    And it is visually simply amazing. The beautiful New Zeland landscape, stunning opening scene at the Lonely mounten and epic battle and chase scenes. And the 48fps + 3D made it all even better. Loved the soundtrack as well, the "Misty Mountains" is an amaing song.
    Other than that what is there to say, it was epic. I haven't read the books, so I can't say how closely they followed them, but as a non reader I can't imagine how it could be any better.
    If there is one thing I didn't like, than that is the happy hugging at the ending, tho the final scene of the movie was bad ass!

Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    Just saw to movie!
    And it is visually simply amazing. The beautiful New Zeland landscape, stunning opening scene at the Lonely mounten and epic battle and chase scenes. And the 48fps + 3D made it all even better. Loved the soundtrack as well, the "Misty Mountains" is an amaing song.
    Other than that what is there to say, it was epic. I haven't read the books, so I can't say how closely they followed them, but as a non reader I can't imagine how it could be any better.
    If there is one thing I didn't like, than that is the happy hugging at the ending, tho the final scene of the movie was bad ass!
    Its only 1 book.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    Just saw to movie!
    Thorin would have looked like a mean bastard if he didn't hug Bilbo after he saved his ass.