Poll: Dwarf

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Talking trolls and Great Goblin are part of the book, though.
    i understand that, but i think it should have been changed for the movie. surprised peter jackson didn't realize what an impact it would have.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    The talking trolls were one of the my favorite scenes, I'm happy he didn't change it. Same goes for the length of riddles in the dark, I was completely immersed in the movie during that.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    watch the fellowship of the ring again and tell me the goblin king felt completely silly
    Milk was a bad choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    watch the fellowship of the ring again and tell me the goblin king felt completely silly
    I preferred the more rough and evil looking Goblins than the new ones.
    I found that the movie had too much CGI, make up from a decade ago looked better than that crap.

The only thing I like about the movie was the little lore parts he added, like the fall of Erebor, Thranduil's host coming to the aid of Dwarves then leaving and Mounted Elven Lancers. Things like that made the movie, without that stuff I would have hated it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fellowship of the Ring is part of LotR, which is much darker and way more dramatic and serious than the children's book known as The Hobbit. The Goblin King didn't appear as a very serious character because he isn't really. But since the book got darker the longer they went, I'm expecting the upcoming movies to follow the trend, just like LotR did.

They used much more CGI in The Hobbit than in LotR because of the the 48 fps-thing, apparently it would look very, very fake if it wasn't CGI. Or maybe it was because of the 3D thing and not the framerate, I can't remember. I too would like less CGI and more clever use of miniatures and camera angles, but I understand why they did what they did.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    you honestly werent let down by the movie?

i mean i still enjoyed it. but it didn't come anywhere close to lotro. it has nothing to do with the childrens vs dark aspect. its how the film was made.
    Milk was a bad choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    you honestly werent let down by the movie?

i mean i still enjoyed it. but it didn't come anywhere close to lotro. it has nothing to do with the childrens vs dark aspect. its how the film was made.
    Well, The Hobbit overall was a significantly inferior book to lotr, in a number of areas. It wasn't even something that he meant to take seriously, and in fact went and changed one of the key scenes in it to fit into lord of the rings after his publisher turned down the sketches for the Silmarillion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly weren't let down by the movie, I went to see it 5 times. 3 times during the first day I expected a rather lighthearted version of LotR and that's what I feel I received. And I loved the additional lore from the appendices.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    I honestly weren't let down by the movie, I went to see it 5 times. 3 times during the first day I expected a rather lighthearted version of LotR and that's what I feel I received. And I loved the additional lore from the appendices.
    I've seen it twice so far! And if I had the funds it would be even more than that... loved every bit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Well, The Hobbit overall was a significantly inferior book to lotr, in a number of areas. It wasn't even something that he meant to take seriously, and in fact went and changed one of the key scenes in it to fit into lord of the rings after his publisher turned down the sketches for the Silmarillion.
    It's not nearly as dark, all the singing (well I guess there was some in LOTR too) really got to me.

Surprised right? That's one of the few books I actually have read, and damn was it a hard read.

I've seen it twice so far! And if I had the funds it would be even more than that... loved every bit of it.
    You have a better constitution than I. The first hour and a half is really taxing on my patience :/

10+ Year Old Account
    the whole azog sub plot didnt make u guys cringe? it wasnt even in the book
    Milk was a bad choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It's not nearly as dark, all the singing (well I guess there was some in LOTR too) really got to me.

Surprised right? That's one of the few books I actually have read, and damn was it a hard read.
    Ya, I'll agree that The Hobbit is overall a lot more fluid and easy to read. He didn't put a lot of his heavier lore or ideas in until lotr and his supplementary/unpublished works.

You have a better constitution than I. The first hour and a half is really taxing on my patience :/
    When you can make it through books 8-10 of the Wheel of Time without ragequitting, you have the patience of a saint.

the whole azog sub plot didnt make u guys cringe? it wasnt even in the book
    Not really. It has background from the book, and it added several features to the movie that were overall enjoyable. It's more coherent to see an orc leading an assault against them than random attacks here and there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only paid for my ticket once, though ^^ I went to see an old friend which wasn't cheap, so he paid for the tickets!
    Not really. It has background from the book, and it added several features to the movie that were overall enjoyable. It's more coherent to see an orc leading an assault against them than random attacks here and there.
    I agree completely with this. At first I was a bit surprised and didn't know how to feel about Azog, but after seeing the end and then rewatching I certainly felt that the character added a lot to the movie.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

- talking trolls and goblin king ruins the mystery aspect of middle earth. (can u imagine balrog talking to gandalf? that would've ruined the entire scene)
    While the trolls and goblins are supposed to be a peril and you should be a little concerned with the situations, they are nowhere near the level of the Balrog. A Balrog is an ancient evil that most people don't even know anything about. If Jackson had made the trolls and the Goblins more on the level of the Balrog, THAT would have been a huge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    One of the change I didn't like was Mirkwood. It was supposed to be already corrupted and called Mirkwood when the wizards arrived in Middle Earth about 2000 years before the story. It is even implied in the Silmarillion that the darkening of Greenwood-the-Great was what prompted the Valar to send the Istari in the first place.

Same with the Ringwraiths. In the movie, it is said that the Witch King died in Angmar and was buried deep in a tomb locked by a spell. The White Council is surprised to learn he lives again and recognizes the blade Gandalf brought as a Blade of Morgul. It is implied the Necromancer brought him back from death. It goes against what we know of the Rings and their effects. The bearers of the Nine never died, but were turned into the Ringwraiths. The Witch King was already a Nazgûl when he was ruling over Angmar. He was then beaten by an army of Men and Elves and fled to Mordor, where he laid siege to Minas Ithil, which became known as Minas Morgul. If, in the movie, the Witch King was buried all this time, when did he take Minas Ithil where he could forge blades of Morgul?
    Both those points bothered me some as well. I am sort of curious about how they are going to handle everything with the Necromancer and the Witch King (since they seemed to indicate he is around already even though he isn't in corporeal form yet).

10+ Year Old Account
    Without a strong leader the likes of Sauron, Saruman or Nazgûl, the Orcs or Goblins are nothing more than roving bands of thieves and plunderers. They have no strong structures, no discipline and tend to fight among themselves. They are not as fearsome as the orcs we see in LotR and can more easily be dispatched. The Great Goblin is more like some sort of mobster than a warchief. He is just as chaotic as any orc, and yes, a little silly and erratic with a dark sense of humour.

As for Azog, I will wait the other movies before I form a firm opinion on its introduction in the story. As for now, he seems to me like a useless addition to the story. But like I said, we'll see...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

I can't help but find it fascinating seeing people reacting to the Hobbit after they've seen the LotR series, with the mind set that it shouldn't have anything to do with Middle Earth, or that it's not dark enough/out of place etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I can't help but find it fascinating seeing people reacting to the Hobbit after they've seen the LotR series, with the mind set that it shouldn't have anything to do with Middle Earth, or that it's not dark enough/out of place etc.
    Well, my argument that I used against Return of the King (too much unlike the book) at least isn't applicable to The Hobbit. It was pretty damn close to the book, the only problem is that it's my opinion that this particular book would make a much more difficult movie to watch than other Book -> Movie scenarios.

10+ Year Old Account
    but to be honest the similarrion has the potential to be better than the hobbit and lotro combined.

morgoth anyone?
    Milk was a bad choice.

but to be honest the similarrion has the potential to be better than the hobbit and lotro combined.

morgoth anyone?
    but its written like a history book it would be boring.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    but its written like a history book it would be boring.
    the history and flash back bits were some of the best parts in lotro and the hobbit...just sayin...

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 05:27 AM ----------

i wonder how peter jackson would implement this in the movie

btw thats morgoth
    Milk was a bad choice.