Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    (I remember being able to interact with orcs, but I don't remember how).
    Talk to either of the orc smiths in Markarth and they should direct you to an orc stronghold nearby.

Can't help you with the other stuff. Not really an Elder Scrolls lore buff.

Deleted
    I don't think there are any official lore on them. Personally I believe that ebony armor originates from the Altmers (High elves) same as with glass armor. From a bit of googling it appears that ebony is a form of volcanic meteoric metal. Glass(Malachite) is also a volcanic material, it would make sense that the High elves would use similar compounds to craft their armor and weapons.
    Also, both glass and ebony armor are very similar in design so I'm almost certain it's Elvish craftsmanship.

I'm sure there's some clues in winterhold library, hidden away in some long forgotten book

Deleted
    That reminds me of a question I have. I've been wondering about the "lore-ity" (this is now a word) of armors like Ebony, Glass, Daedric etc. I almost never see anyone wear them. How would I know how to craft them? Wikia doesn't have any lore-related info about these pieces.

I ask because I like to have a reason to put perk into their smithing, not just "Oh, here, you're level 20, suddenly you know how to craft Orcish armor." For Dwarven, I plan to only put point into it once I visit Markath, where I learnt how to craft dwarven armor. Orcish armor, only once I am friendly with an orcish stronghold (I remember being able to interact with orcs, but I don't remember how).

Where is ebony and glass from? And do elves other than high elves wear elven armor?
    Well, there are smithing books about it. I know I found one that teaches to temper glass and another about making daedric armor. So I guess you could read them first. I had a much bigger problem with something similar though. It was so super easy to become master at some schools of magic as well as crafting. Just cast some spells at the wall, do a few easy quests and enchant a few boots and you're the best possible illusionist and enchanter there can be as well as get to be the archmage in just a few days after joining the college.

So I just got a mod and tuned the exp rates really down, 2-10 times depending on a skill as well as made crafting stuff take time (so I cant just spam 100 potions in an instant) and together with needs mod, which makes me want to eat, drink and sleep it's actually challenging to get crafting up now and bad idea to make 100s of iron daggers or craft some useless potion over and over. It's surprising how well it turned out. Paying for training suddenly became really important and more importantly found items are actually much more needed and I can keep playing the style I like most and still advance in it as well as having time to try every spell.
    This also solved any lore problems I had.. more or less. After spending 2 months ingame, taking lessons and smithing stuff at the Riften Blacksmith, I think it's more than reasonable that I can now craft orcish armor and even improve magical items

Vanilla experience was just bad for me. Breeze through levels even at master.. 100 in all crafting in a few hours as well as maxed main skills. Everything below ebony, daedric and dragonhide armor became useless by then as well as all rewards and artifacts because enchanting items yourself was just so much better. Now Im actually still using my trusty old dwarven dagger (true, it still 1-2 shots almost everything from sneak and I've improved it quite a bit:P) and Nightingale bow after maybe 100 hours or more and I havent even finished 1/3 of the game.

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 01:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I don't think there are any official lore on them. Personally I believe that ebony armor originates from the Altmers (High elves) same as with glass armor. From a bit of googling it appears that ebony is a form of volcanic meteoric metal. Glass(Malachite) is also a volcanic material, it would make sense that the High elves would use similar compounds to craft their armor and weapons.
    Also, both glass and ebony armor are very similar in design so I'm almost certain it's Elvish craftsmanship.

I'm sure there's some clues in winterhold library, hidden away in some long forgotten book
    "ebony" exists in real life too, it's a vulcanic glass and american natives made weapons from it:P It has a different name but it's still black and hard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian
    Last edited by mmocc089ef6a74; 2013-01-05 at 01:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    "ebony" exists in real life too, it's a vulcanic glass and american natives made weapons from it:P It has a different name but it's still black and hard.
    Hah
    Sorry

Deleted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian
    Oh I misread the article then. As you said, it's still black and hard so doesn't matter xD

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    Hah
    Sorry
    We were all thinking it.

Still no news on PC Dragonborn...
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Love the Uncapper. My game is so difficult it's making me cherish every advancement in level. Entire camps aggro if I attack one of them and they didn't die. I'm forced to bring two followers - I could bring more to make things easier, but I like the number two and makes me feel like an ME squad. XD

Still deciding on who to bring though. I like Farkas, so I take him along. Haven't really gotten many followers yet. Jenassa seems pretty strong, but I wonder how she stacks up against Aela.

Also, thanks for the info on ebony et al. Just surprised I almost never seen anyone wear those armor. Elven armor is the highest grade I've seen enemies wear - and only by Thalmor scums.

Btw, if anyone is curious, I'm done with ENBs. They just don't fit my playstyle and I've wasted 4 days tweaking them. >.>

Does anyone know a mod that changes the graphics of wielding spells? Instead of those silly orbs, have fiery,icy,crackling hands, maybe something else?

And is there any mod that allows the casting of spells while still wielding the weapon, using the weapon of choice as a means to cast the spell? I want to cast lightning through my twohanded axe, or dagger, or hell, staff. I've always felt the whole casting thing is off by a mile. Equip spells? Come ooon.

So if anyone has any similar mods or even conversions, let me know. Looking forward to it.

I started playing after a few months, downloaded some mods and the game has improved a lot.
    Did they reduce the number of random dragon encounters? I'm with 8 hours playtime on my current character and didn't found a single random dragon.

I'm on the quest ''Diplomatic Immunity'', and using these mods:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdecker View Post
    I started playing after a few months, downloaded some mods and the game has improved a lot.
    Did they reduce the number of random dragon encounters? I'm with 8 hours playtime on my current character and didn't found a single random dragon.
    Same here. I am level 17, got Fus Ro Dah, and never saw a single dragon after the first one (outside of dragon lairs, I mean).

So I was thinking of actually grabbing this game on steam (used to have it on my old PC), and was wondering, has there been anything new added from the first 2-3 patches other then hotfixes/updates to bugs? Onlt thing I really know is that you can't spam daggers to max BS anymore. Also, any recommended mods, graphical/content?

Deleted
    very informative, thank you

Deleted
    Some questions to Skyrim Redone users

Is it worth getting? There's a lot of changes there that I don't like and some that I hate but there's a lot that I like as well. Fortunately the bad changes are all in the main module so would getting the rest be worth it?

Im more or less happy with vanilla perks and skills with the exception of lockpicking and pickpocket obviously but since there are so many bad changes and I cant get it without adding non-vanilla weapons (which Im adamant about not getting). Well, in any case, is this mod good and would it still work and be worth it without the main module? I already fixed all the cheat loops anyway with other mods.

I still haven't gotten TK dodge to work but it looks like TK's done it again and this time hopefully it'll be easier to make work: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/29137/

Can't wait to get home and try it out.

Also I want to start an unarmed character but with skyre. But I don't want to level from scratch and I don't want to have to scrap the character when Dragonborn comes out until tendos updates skyre. What do?

P.S. How do I update SKSE without uninstalling and reinstalling an update version?
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I still haven't gotten TK dodge to work but it looks like TK's done it again and this time hopefully it'll be easier to make work: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/29137/

Also I want to start an unarmed character but with skyre. But I don't want to level from scratch and I don't want to have to scrap the character when Dragonborn comes out until tendos updates skyre. What do?

P.S. How do I update SKSE without uninstalling and reinstalling an update version?
    open the console, type - help "respec"
    then - player.additem respecpotionidcode noofpotions

Think there's a line in the skse ini for auto updating

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    open the console, type - help "respec"
    then - player.additem respecpotionidcode noofpotions

Think there's a line in the skse ini for auto updating
    The respec potion flat out refuses to work for me as do most perk reset mods. All they do is remove the perks and never give me the perk points back for use no matter how long I wait.

Same here. I am level 17, got Fus Ro Dah, and never saw a single dragon after the first one (outside of dragon lairs, I mean).
    Over the course of lvl 1 to 25, I got a total of 2 extra dragons. On my other character, I got 1 extra dragon, between lvl 1-20. I have to say, I'm very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post

Yeah, I found that one yesterday when I was looking for a mod to cast spells through weapons. It's not exactly the same, but it will keep me occupied for a while.

Scratch that. Can't get it to work. Disabled all mods, only activated this one, made sure I started through skse, no dice.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-01-06 at 12:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it turns out my saves became corrupted because scripted mods did not uninstall properly (they almost never because of the way Bethesda allows scripts from mod to inject themselves into savegames - essentially making the mod essential to the saves). Getting real tired of redoing the FusRoDah line and the companion's questline. This must be my, what, 3rd time in 2 weeks? >.< Anyone has any idea for something different to try so I don't kill myself visiting the same places in the first 10 levels?

For anyone like me who can't stand those ENBs that fill Skyrim with too much color, I've been using SkyRealism, the vanilla option.http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23765

Here's a Screenshot of how it looks during gameplay, as allowed by my GTX 460. The Dragonborn, Farkas, and Serana ride to Riverwood.

http://i.imgur.com/r3rOW.jpg?1

Is it worth getting? There's a lot of changes there that I don't like and some that I hate but there's a lot that I like as well. Fortunately the bad changes are all in the main module so would getting the rest be worth it?

Im more or less happy with vanilla perks and skills with the exception of lockpicking and pickpocket obviously but since there are so many bad changes and I cant get it without adding non-vanilla weapons (which Im adamant about not getting). Well, in any case, is this mod good and would it still work and be worth it without the main module? I already fixed all the cheat loops anyway with other mods.
    Take.
    Eeeev'rythiiiiiinnnnggg.
    Seriously, SkyRe is just better.
    Last edited by Valenhil; 2013-01-07 at 12:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

I stumbled upon this mod - SPERG that I highly recommend you check out. I love ACE, but after looking at SPERG I'm now trying it out and will very likely stay with it. It doesn't have as many endorsements as the bigger ones, but it has a decent-sized fanbase. It's biggest appeal to me was how closely it stayed true to vanilla perks while attempting to fix what was boring or broken.

- Automatic perks. Basically, when you level up a skill, you get the boring passive talents (like +20% block, +10% 1h damage, + 20% sneak) automatically. This is similar to Cataclysm revamped talent trees philosophy. Boring but essential power perks are now baked into your skill level, so you can spend your points on other perks.
    - Many meh perks were merged, so you only spent one point to get, say, 3 vanilla perk effects. All old vanilla perks are still present.
    - Modular. If you don't like certain perk or effect (like automatic perks), you can turn them off.

It's not a perfect mod - for example, not sure if they fixed exploits - but you can supplement that with other mods that do fix the exploits for example. The readme is a giant wall of text worth reading. Definitely worth a look if you like the ideas from this author.