Oh, I have many good memories of DD+SkyRe. I got camped by a dragon that spewed some sort of dark magic and could go invisible, I couldn't fast travel and I hid in the nearby tents. Took me about an hour of reloading and "hit'n'hide" tactics to get out of that situation.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I remember getting up and walking away from my computer for a few minutes the first time I got blasted off a mountain by unrelenting force.
    Me and my friend ran it as fast as we could on 360 next to each other.

I got bored in the meeting at High Hrothgar and attacked one of the monks

I spent about 5min reloading from exiting that place from getting blasted off the mountain constantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnnm2 View Post
    Currently I'm doing this mage quest thing in Winterhold and it's quite entertaining. The main storyline isn't that interesting, I agree. Visually I love Skyrim. But somehow I was more hooked with Oblivion.
    For me the standout storyline in this game is the Thief's Guild. I enjoyed working its plot and building up the guild itself much more than anything else in the game. Even the Dark Brotherhood fell really flat this time around, which is really sad because it was the ONLY thing in Oblivion that I enjoyed...specifically, "Whodunit?". I enjoyed that particular quest so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mnnm2 View Post
    Ugh I'm currently stuck being a damn vampire and I've tried filling a black soul gem but it's just not working.
    Unless you're using a mod that changes the process it should be as simple as casting Soul Trap on an NPC and killing it before the spell ends with an empty black soul gem in your inventory.

10+ Year Old Account
    the main quest line is never really that great in a Tes game... I mean Oblivions really wasn't that great and worse... it was very repetitive

- - - Updated - - -

Also I kinda wish more NPCs got the Cicero treatment.... oh dear sweet Cicero, how unique you were. (and in all but one of my save files, [how unique you are] since he aint dead and I luv him)

Morrowind had excellent main quest line that managed to blow some fresh air to the typical saviour of the world trope Bethesda has been insistant on using lately, for the worse.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Morrowind had excellent main quest line that managed to blow some fresh air to the typical saviour of the world trope Bethesda has been insistant on using lately, for the worse.
    Definitely. I think it was mostly because it wasn't so black and white as the stories of Oblivion and Skyrim. There were many factions involved during the main quest, most of them with some flaws and selfish motives in the events at hand. At some points you could genuinely feel sorry for Dagoth Ur and feel like if it wasn't for him stopping them from using the Heart of Lorkhan you could be fighting against the Tribunal instead. Also the uncovering of the truth about what really happened at the Battle of Red Mountain and who is responsible for killing Nerevar Indoril (you are supposed to be his reincarnation) was miles ahead of anything in the later ES games.

I find it ridiculous in Skyrim that you can become the grandmaster of fighters guild, thieves guild, archmage of Winterhold, leader of the Dark Brotherhood all at once. Also in addition of being Dragonborn, Master Vampire, and Champion of Hermaeus Mora.

I prefer in Morrowind where you could join ONLY ONE of the Great Dunmer houses. I think the game needs more of that exclusivity.

Quote Originally Posted by senkyen View Post
    Definitely. I think it was mostly because it wasn't so black and white as the stories of Oblivion and Skyrim. There were many factions involved during the main quest, most of them with some flaws and selfish motives in the events at hand. At some points you could genuinely feel sorry for Dagoth Ur and feel like if it wasn't for him stopping them from using the Heart of Lorkhan you could be fighting against the Tribunal instead. Also the uncovering of the truth about what really happened at the Battle of Red Mountain and who is responsible for killing Nerevar Indoril (you are supposed to be his reincarnation) was miles ahead of anything in the later ES games.
    Indeed. Have you ever tried the House Dagoth mod? It's been built so you could actually do just that, side with Dagoth Ur. I find it quite well done and it's very respectful towards the original lore.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Indeed. Have you ever tried the House Dagoth mod? It's been built so you could actually do just that, side with Dagoth Ur. I find it quite well done and it's very respectful towards the original lore.
    Actually I haven't. Even if I played Morrowind more then any other TES game I modded it very little, usually with fairly simple self made mods (for example, housing stuff, custom races, magic regeneration etc). I will have to dust up my Morrowind CDs one day and see all the stuff the modding community was able to do over the years.

Morrowind had the flexibility and was so much more diverse I believe because they just had text quests and loads of it. Oblivion and Skyrim are probably restricted because of voice acting. Oblivion and Skyrim to me was never about the story, I thought the main story was average. They were about the entire experience and the production of it. The characters, the music, the world and the setting. If they can pull of a Morrowind with Skyrim type production, that would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    I find it ridiculous in Skyrim that you can become the grandmaster of fighters guild, thieves guild, archmage of Winterhold, leader of the Dark Brotherhood all at once. Also in addition of being Dragonborn, Master Vampire, and Champion of Hermaeus Mora.

I prefer in Morrowind where you could join ONLY ONE of the Great Dunmer houses. I think the game needs more of that exclusivity.
    Some like being supreme commander of the galaxy!

Currently Playing: Eldevin

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Yeah I can't wait for that, they have done a great job with what I have seen thus far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDDQkdnWZ8Q

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post

Becoming the leader of any of those factions is ridiculous.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    The arch mage is a stretch, but the rest are written pretty straight forward and make sense. If you undertake the actions in the story, then you become pretty relevant pretty quick. Brotherhood is because evil things sense your power and go to you...that happens a lot. Sorta like how a Sith would sense the force and potential for great power in someone so they try to corrupt them for their cause. It's actually cliché. That's how non-ridiculous it is.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    From a gameplay standpoint, it makes sense that you wouldn't want to limit your character this way or force the player to "reroll". But yeah, from an RP perspective it makes little to no sense. At least they made it so you can't be both a Werewolf and a Vampire at the same time!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    From a gameplay standpoint, it makes sense that you wouldn't want to limit your character this way or force the player to "reroll". But yeah, from an RP perspective it makes little to no sense. At least they made it so you can't be both a Werewolf and a Vampire at the same time!
    Honestly, the college of Winterhold questline was incredibly disappointing. You get given a ward spell from Tolfdir after a little speech and you're in. Don't even really need to use spells or anything. Wish there was a mod to fix that, but the only faction quest mod I've seen so far was for the companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Morrowind had the flexibility and was so much more diverse I believe because they just had text quests and loads of it. Oblivion and Skyrim are probably restricted because of voice acting. Oblivion and Skyrim to me was never about the story, I thought the main story was average. They were about the entire experience and the production of it. The characters, the music, the world and the setting. If they can pull of a Morrowind with Skyrim type production, that would be amazing.
    It's not really just about that. It's overall how quests were designed from bottom-up and how it tied together with different abilities. Let me make example with one simple quest, get documents from place A and deliver them to place B. There was lots of plot text yes, but that's the premise, something easily conveyed with limited voice over speech as well. However, now we come to the interesting bit. Actually doing the quest!

So, the quest object is in a building with two entrances and one mid-way door. There are several ways you can finish it. Lets start with a key. There are 3 keys you can obtain, 1 on the master of the house, 1 on a servant and 1 hidden in secret locker. You can try to pick-pocket it from either of the two, or you can persuade/intimidate the servant to give it for you. Also a bribery is option here.

If you are a honest thief, you could just lockpick your way there, but chances are you are spotted if you try the in-door locked door. If you are acrobat as well, you can find alternative route via the balcony and unlock the door there, either via lockpicking or with key you aquired in one manner or another.

If you are mage, you can use charm spells to get access to the key, you can use levitate and unlock spells to make your way through.

If you're just plain warrior on murderous spree, you can just kill the people and get your stuff that way.

There is simply put a lot more depth in just invidual ways you can achieve your quest goal, with multiple character builds shining in all different yet sensible ways for you to achieve that goal. That's the true strength of the Morrowind, besides the surprisingly great writing for Bethesda and the incredible attention to detail (different ornamentations in clothing for example, citing holy texts of religion supreme in that region)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*
    It's likely not as pervasive and to be fair I haven't played Morrowind yet, but Skyrim has many quests like that too. I think it gets lost in how many quests are 'kill x person at end of the cave', but it's there. Some examples are the 'find proof' quests where you can kill the person responsible to get a note, pickpocket the note off them, break into a chest in their room to find their journal, etc. I don't think the world is designed in quite as wide a variety, as it is very instanced, but it's still there a great deal.
    BAD WOLF