Deleted

Mastery Soft Cap?

I've recently started playing my priest a bit more frequently, and while reading up on reforging etc, I've found a lot of references to a soft cap for mastery, but can't seem to find an actual figure anywhere. Does this softcap actually exist?

Deleted
    What spec do you play? Ive not heard of a "cap" of any of the 3 specs, but I imagine its useful information to those in the know.

Deleted
    Never heard of any soft cap for MST, uninformed people claim there to be a soft cap for HST though (extra tick on renew, 12.5%).

Deleted
    No such thing as a MST soft cap.

only thing any close to this i can think of is divine aegis cap, perhaps you confused those. atm there is no mastery cap for a discipline priest (or any other priest)

The only "soft cap" that exists for a Disc priest is when you have so much MST that GH puts up a max DA with every crit. It use to be actually plausible to think about when the DA cap was a much smaller percentage of the priest's health. But now, it will most likely be an unobtainable benchmark.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    The only "soft cap" that exists for a Disc priest is when you have so much MST that GH puts up a max DA with every crit. It use to be actually plausible to think about when the DA cap was a much smaller percentage of the priest's health. But now, it will most likely be an unobtainable benchmark.
    Yeah pretty sure this is what I've been reading about, I am playing as disc! Can you maybe link me to somewhere I can read up on this in more depth?

Edit, skimmed your post and didn't read the end, never mind! Thanks for the replies, everyone.
    Last edited by mmocfa3b6f5501; 2011-06-03 at 04:44 PM.

There are no mastery caps.. no soft caps.. nor hard caps.

sky is the cap just keep going until you hit it

i think the mastery cap is 999

10+ Year Old Account
    Not exactly a cap but isn't there a general rule for mastery that if you are min-maxing stats you should try to get it just barely over a round number or a half? Because your mastery actually only steps up at half-point intervals so 18.02 mastery and 18.46 mastery are providing the same bonus?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I know what he is talking about, there is a soft "cap" at 32.5% mastery. At this point, you get double "heals" from DA procs from crits. i.e. at 32.5% mastery, a crit heal, which usually does 150% + DA, will be equivalent to a 200% heal (DA + heal = 200% heal)

In no way am I saying MST > HST or a "soft cap" is necessary, this is just a mathematical fact

Edit: Appearently I can't math as well as I used to. Guess it's what I get for trying to math at work...
    Last edited by h3lladvocate; 2011-06-09 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Math FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by h3lladvocate View Post
    I think I know what he is talking about, there is a soft "cap" at 32.5% mastery. At this point, you get double "heals" from DA procs from crits. i.e. at 32.5% mastery, a crit heal, which usually does 150% + DA, will be equivalent to a 200% heal (DA + heal = 200% heal)

In no way am I saying MST > HST or a "soft cap" is necessary, this is just a mathematical fact
    Actually, the 200% heal occurs naturally with base mastery. The 32.5% I mentioned in my guide was a "ballpark" balance for disc tank healers.

Math:

Base Heal: 1000
    Crit Heal: 1500

Base DA: 30%
    Base DA w/ base SD(20%): 36%

1500*1.36 = 2040 or 204% of base heal.

EDIT: For kicks, w/ the new 200% crits, a Disc priest w/ DA and base MST will have crits worth 272%.

RE-EDIT: Of course, you'll need 66.67% SD to get to 300% crits, or 26.67 MST [or 18.67 MST (3346.8 MST rating) from gear].

stack crit for disc 4.2?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Denzion View Post
    Not exactly a cap but isn't there a general rule for mastery that if you are min-maxing stats you should try to get it just barely over a round number or a half? Because your mastery actually only steps up at half-point intervals so 18.02 mastery and 18.46 mastery are providing the same bonus?
    No, because while the tooltip shows rounded off numbers, the actual stat scales with each point of mastery rating so there's no break points to aim for.

e.g. With 12.48 mastery my tooltip shows 31%, my shield is 25307. With 12.61 mastery my tooltip still shows 31% but my shield is 25372. So even though there's no % change in the tooltip the actual value is still increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    Never heard of any soft cap for MST, uninformed people claim there to be a soft cap for HST though (extra tick on renew, 12.5%).
    There is a softcap for haste however, but that softcap is the point where you reach 1 sec gcds.