AOE in 5 man heroics?

What is the most effective way to AOE in 5 man heroics as a shadow priest? Devouring Plague does the most damage right so would dotting each mob with this be the best option or would you go oom fast? Or spamming Vamparic touch or mind sear?

lol Dp can only be on one target.

Giant group = Mind sear on tank
    2-4 mobs = Dot up

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartfrost View Post
    True, but not very constructive. Spread your dots around and then just Mind Sear your way to victory. The buffs in 4.1 helped. If targets are dying fast, don't even worry about the dots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    We removed the Fun Stuff forum, all the Fun in the MMO-Champion forums will now be taking place in my pants.

Xenophics <Famous> - Scarlet Crusade (US)

Quote Originally Posted by Heartfrost View Post
    lol I am retarded. Sorry about that. I have been playing Disc and decided 5 min ago to try Shadow. I am in full spirit gear and have reforged all my spirit to haste. Was getting bored of healing.

So would the best way be to Vamparic Touch, Shadow word on each mob, and then spam mind sear?
    Also another question, should I be using Shadow word death on bosses above 25% or only below 25%?

Deleted
    Yea, DP/VT/Pain on one, VT/Pain when there are a few mobs that wont die fast.

Use shadow word death above 25% (not close by if the boss will be <25% within the cd) if you need mana - assuming you have talented into masochism

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khallynos View Post
    True, but not very constructive.
    Not very constructive or not, it was the truth. Even given the fact that he was disc until "5 minutes ago" he should have known that DP can only be put on 1 target if he played a priest since lvl 28 at least because it says it on the tooltip that it can only be on 1 target at a time.

To the OP, Mind Sear on the tank is your best bet for more than 4 mobs. Anything lower just dot up mobs with VT & SWP and single target dps until they're all dead.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Not very constructive or not, it was the truth. Even given the fact that he was disc until "5 minutes ago" he should have known that DP can only be put on 1 target if he played a priest since lvl 28 at least because it says it on the tooltip that it can only be on 1 target at a time.

To the OP, Mind Sear on the tank is your best bet for more than 4 mobs. Anything lower just dot up mobs with VT & SWP and single target dps until they're all dead.
    I level 1-85 in instances only as a healer. No quests done and never been shadow.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidybag View Post
    I level 1-85 in instances only as a healer. No quests done and never been shadow.
    Ok? So you're saying that while you were leveling up solely in instances without doing any quests all you ever did on bosses was heal and not throw out dots to speed things up? I find it hard to believe that you've never used any of your damage dealing spells or dps'd on anything or even read the tooltips on spells.

Also you can't even do instances until you're 15 anyway so you had to do quests up until that point at least....and being shadow has nothing to do with never using a spell except for spells you get from speccing shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Ok? So you're saying that while you were leveling up solely in instances without doing any quests all you ever did on bosses was heal and not throw out dots to speed things up? I find it hard to believe that you've never used any of your damage dealing spells or dps'd on anything or even read the tooltips on spells.

Also you can't even do instances until you're 15 anyway so you had to do quests up until that point at least....and being shadow has nothing to do with never using a spell except for spells you get from speccing shadow.
    Devoursing Plague is level 24. And no I dont dot bosses as a healer.

Coming from a tree, who couldn't do DPS when healing to any useful degree, it is not odd at all for healers not to cast damage spells. Especially with the new paradigm of mana use. Not only do they miss a fair portion of the time, we simply need every scrap of mana most of the time. Even when we don't, we like to have it available for an emergency.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Getting back on topic since levelling has jack to do with the point of this thread...

Don't forget that you also have the option to spam Mind Spike 2/3 times then MB. It's best for low health adds in small numbers, but it's still very useful in particular instances. Killing the scouts in ZA before they get to the drums sticks out as a prime example.

Mind Sear in particular is best, as others said, with 4+ mobs. Targeting the tank is best because if any run off, a good tank will either run after them or taunt them back, so the pack would follow. Specific times it comes in handy can be those stars in VP or the tiny tikis before the arch boss in ZG.

Multidotting works best for most mob pulls because 1 or 2 are usually CC'd and 2-3 are active. The biggest thing to work on for multidotting is keeping the uptime on the non-CC'd mobs as much as you can. It takes practice, but it does much more DPS than Mind Sear spam or just single-target dotting.

You can also combine multi-dotting and Mind Sear spam, but it works best when the adds are both numerous and have very high health. When I do both, it's usually just with SW: P (not VT) on several adds, then MS the tank. It allows for orbs and apparitions to proc as well, and not using VT gives me more Mind Sear tics and spends less mana.

Just mess around with it basically. It's a lot of fun, and just be sure not to break CC's when you mutlidot.

i dont think this thread deserved these many responses imo.

its just dot the targets and mind sear the tank...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post
    Coming from a tree, who couldn't do DPS when healing to any useful degree, it is not odd at all for healers not to cast damage spells. Especially with the new paradigm of mana use. Not only do they miss a fair portion of the time, we simply need every scrap of mana most of the time. Even when we don't, we like to have it available for an emergency.
    Seeing how you have the old pvp title which means that you were playing before druids got treeform, I have to call BS on the "couldn't do DPS when healing". You could always put moonfire on mobs or bosses back then and if you ran with a pally tank pre-BC for dungeons you were expected to keep faerie fire up on a boss for your melee to do more damage (and should be doing that now if you run with anything but a warrior tank).

Quote Originally Posted by Bidybag View Post
    Devoursing Plague is level 24. And no I dont dot bosses as a healer.
    Actually its a lvl 28 spell if you look at both wowhead and create a new priest just to see when you learn each spell. At 24 you learn fade.