All champions are good in their own way (except Sivir). Playing more of a variety will help you learn the game faster than playing one champion, I routinely switch "main" champions at least every two or three days. Even apart from simple things like items, skills, and builds, there is more concept that you need experience with to understand. Mainly, exactly what role each champion plays within a team and how to exploit enemies who fall outside that role even for a second.

All fighters might have the same "job," but they have entirely different ways of going about it, and deeper concepts will take longer to get used to, it's easier to pick them up by playing these champions and succeeded/failing and learning that way, than to just play your "main" and try to watch other people.

Honestly, your personal skill level is largely irrelevant in LoL. If you go watch games from the "best" players, rarely do they ever make a move that is at all astounding, and they don't use profound builds or strategies. What matters the most in LoL is knowing your place in the team, and working as a group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    All champions are good in their own way (except Sivir). Playing more of a variety will help you learn the game faster than playing one champion, I routinely switch "main" champions at least every two or three days. Even apart from simple things like items, skills, and builds, there is more concept that you need experience with to understand. Mainly, exactly what role each champion plays within a team and how to exploit enemies who fall outside that role even for a second.

All fighters might have the same "job," but they have entirely different ways of going about it, and deeper concepts will take longer to get used to, it's easier to pick them up by playing these champions and succeeded/failing and learning that way, than to just play your "main" and try to watch other people.
    This is also very true.

Play different champs when you can. Having a main is nice to fall back on when you want something familiar, but you also need to learn what Lysah here described (very eloquently, so I won't repeat or rephrase it :P).
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Riot unlocked Kayle and her Judgement skin for me.. what's up with this trickery?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post
    Riot unlocked Kayle and her Judgement skin for me.. what's up with this trickery?
    Reward for at least 10 ranked games in S1.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Thanks Zealous and Lysah. I had the wrong ideas in my head on how to learn. Luckily I asked. I will take both of your advice and try out different champions as well as learn some easier difficulty ones to get a better grip on the tons of strats that the game has. Much love for saving my crash course style of learning.

I think I'll pick up Garen when I have enough IP because I liked him a lot from the tutorial. He seems to suit my aggressive play style a bit better anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    not even lvl 30, 0 ranked

Deleted
    There are champions that are harder to play than others, we cannot deny that. If you're new playing Annie, Garen, Trynd or Morde will let you do fine. Starting with champions like Lee Sin, Anivia, etc. will probably make your head hurt.
    So, if you want to learn the general gameplay and not how to excel at a champion, pick some of the easier to play champions. It's absolutely no miracle cure for winning, you can still suck with those champions, but it's less punishing overall. Learning how to last hit, where to ward up, how to react in team fights, when to defend, when to attack, etc. etc. comes with practice and has nothing to do with what champion you play, at least not most of the time.

For me, I love playing mages, I don't mind supporting, and I am quite good with tanks in top. I love jungling as noct and now that I bought vayne I'm doing okay as AD carry. If you hate being a mage, if you hate jungling, then don't do that. Find 1 or 2 roles that you like and buy champions that suit those roles.

Yes play different champions, also for roles you dislike, not only will you might suddenly find a champion you enjoy, but it will also give you more knowledge of all the champions for when you face against them. I can name all the effects of every champions' abilities and getting to know the cooldowns on those abilties will give you the upper hand. I know the CD on all anivia and cho's abilties at each skill level which gives me an advantage when I face those as opposed to people who haven't played those 2 champions much. When Anivia throws out that Q against me and it misses, I know that I have approx. 10 seconds to harass her until she gets it back again.

Usually played Cho'gath as a bulky mage, but tried him as a full out tank today.

He's ok, a little hard to initiate with him, since you can see his rupture from a mile away. He has decent burst even with tank items, thanks to his ult.

But, he plays a role no other champ can, a wall. Literally a wall. Cho'gath gets so damn big, all our ranged squishies could sit behind me, and stop any skillshot from hitting them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post
    not even lvl 30, 0 ranked
    Well they're giving her out to a lot of players, must have made a mistake.

Be happy it's a fortunate one for a change =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Usually played Cho'gath as a bulky mage, but tried him as a full out tank today.

He's ok, a little hard to initiate with him, since you can see his rupture from a mile away. He has decent burst even with tank items, thanks to his ult.

But, he plays a role no other champ can, a wall. Literally a wall. Cho'gath gets so damn big, all our ranged squishies could sit behind me, and stop any skillshot from hitting them
    He is great for soaking up skill shots in team fights
    He should get a Gandalf the grey skin and when he reached 6 stacks of level 3 omnomnom all his abilities should make him say "you shall not pass!"

I love mah cho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenFrodo View Post
    He should get a Gandalf the grey skin and when he reached 6 stacks of level 3 omnomnom all his abilities should make him say "you shall not pass!"
    Hahaha I would so buy Cho just for that skin :P

There are champions that are harder to play than others, we cannot deny that. If you're new playing Annie, Garen, Trynd or Morde will let you do fine. Starting with champions like Lee Sin, Anivia, etc. will probably make your head hurt.
    So, if you want to learn the general gameplay and not how to excel at a champion, pick some of the easier to play champions. It's absolutely no miracle cure for winning, you can still suck with those champions, but it's less punishing overall. Learning how to last hit, where to ward up, how to react in team fights, when to defend, when to attack, etc. etc. comes with practice and has nothing to do with what champion you play, at least not most of the time.

For me, I love playing mages, I don't mind supporting, and I am quite good with tanks in top. I love jungling as noct and now that I bought vayne I'm doing okay as AD carry. If you hate being a mage, if you hate jungling, then don't do that. Find 1 or 2 roles that you like and buy champions that suit those roles.

Yes play different champions, also for roles you dislike, not only will you might suddenly find a champion you enjoy, but it will also give you more knowledge of all the champions for when you face against them. I can name all the effects of every champions' abilities and getting to know the cooldowns on those abilties will give you the upper hand. I know the CD on all anivia and cho's abilties at each skill level which gives me an advantage when I face those as opposed to people who haven't played those 2 champions much. When Anivia throws out that Q against me and it misses, I know that I have approx. 10 seconds to harass her until she gets it back again.
    Awesome, duly noted. So all in all, learning the tactics of winning is crucial but at the same time it is like wow pvp in respects of 'if you know how to play the person you're up against, you know how to beat them'.

I like this game more and more every match. Still playing Talon though, due to him being free. I get like 9 or 10 kills per match (bots obv) with 1-2 deaths (turrets fuck me) so it's decently fun. How much I'm actually helping my team is beyond me. I'm gonna give Amumu a try tomorrow. Hopefully I get enough IP for Garen by tomorrow night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Awesome, duly noted. So all in all, learning the tactics of winning is crucial but at the same time it is like wow pvp in respects of 'if you know how to play the person you're up against, you know how to beat them'.

I like this game more and more every match. Still playing Talon though, due to him being free. I get like 9 or 10 kills per match (bots obv) with 1-2 deaths (turrets fuck me) so it's decently fun. How much I'm actually helping my team is beyond me. I'm gonna give Amumu a try tomorrow. Hopefully I get enough IP for Garen by tomorrow night.
    I'm assuming you're playing Co-op vs AI?

You should really try playing with people some time, because it's really different and you have to learn to work in the team against another team. Bots are pretty stupid even on "advanced".

No need to rush, but don't get stuck in botland forever or you'll be very uncomfortable when you start facing real players =)

---------- Post added 2011-09-19 at 03:57 AM ----------

Also on the Kayle skin, it may be a temporary thing.

I have it on my smurf account that has no ranked games on it.

Could be a widespread bug.

Riot may take it back if they are fast enough and not many people notice. If not - they probably won't since lots of players will start crying like little kids.

We all know that each day the forums are full of demands for free RP because someone scraped their knee on the way home...
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-09-19 at 03:58 AM.

I'm assuming you're playing Co-op vs AI?

You should really try playing with people some time, because it's really different and you have to learn to work in the team against another team. Bots are pretty stupid even on "advanced".

No need to rush, but don't get stuck in botland forever or you'll be very uncomfortable when you start facing real players =)
    Yeah I'm playing Co-Op vs bots. I plan on playing bots for a bit until I just feel comfortable. I have no issues with jumping into real matches, I just don't want to be a douche that is the reason my team loses. So I'd like to learn the very basics. My Brother is lvl 30 and he is showing me a little here and there but letting me learn by trial by fire.

Team work is starting to come into effect but to be honest, the bots are dumb. They just turret hump, and buy defensive armor. Annie is the only one who really seems to be able to reliably kill me if I'm anywhere near half health while everyone else just herps and runs away 95% of the time. I can't wait to see actual strategy and whatnot in games and really peel a layer or two back of the game.

Apparently not, I'm level 11 and somehow got it.

I'm in love with Nidalee. Was playing Twisted Treeline with a level 26 irl friend and was up against a bunch of level 20+ and I was kicking ass hardcore. Somehow even with the rune/mastery handicap I was able to keep up though mid-late game they started decimating me (which is strange cause I though rune and mastery advantage would be more tangible early game). Also, playing a bunch of level 20+ people without flash sucks nuts. But Nidalee is too epic for losing.

I know I'm a noob and all but I REALLY wanna play with you folks. The scum I've met in my little time in this game has me losing hair. I played a 5's game against beginner bots where my team fed them to 6/35 by the end of the game. Like...what the hell. How can you be ~level 10 and be that bad. Mind you the 6 kills was only me. There's nothing I coulda done to save them.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2011-09-19 at 04:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Yeah I'm playing Co-Op vs bots. I plan on playing bots for a bit until I just feel comfortable. I have no issues with jumping into real matches, I just don't want to be a douche that is the reason my team loses. So I'd like to learn the very basics. My Brother is lvl 30 and he is showing me a little here and there but letting me learn by trial by fire.

Team work is starting to come into effect but to be honest, the bots are dumb. They just turret hump, and buy defensive armor. Annie is the only one who really seems to be able to reliably kill me if I'm anywhere near half health while everyone else just herps and runs away 95% of the time. I can't wait to see actual strategy and whatnot in games and really peel a layer or two back of the game.
    Yeah, bot games won't teach you much. In level 30 co-ops the team usually averages 90+/5- and the game is over in 14 minutes. Their stupidity is just way too exploitable.

I'd still advise trying champions you don't think you'll enjoy at least once - I thought Warwick looked really stupid but gave him a shot while bored one day and now he's one of my favorites.

Honestly, I'd also save all your IP for now, until you find champions you really just want to keep after they aren't free anymore. Every week just keep playing with the new free champions you've never played before, and once you start getting weeks that are entirely full of champions you know well you can waste IP on something new that seems fun. Besides, a full set of tier 3 runes once you get to level 30 costs like 20k IP...it's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2011-09-19 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Honestly, I'd also save all your IP for now, until you find champions you really just want to keep after they aren't free anymore. Every week just keep playing with the new free champions you've never played before, and once you start getting weeks that are entirely full of champions you know well you can waste IP on something new that seems fun. Besides, a full set of tier 3 runes once you get to level 30 costs like 20k IP...it's ridiculous.
    Great advice. I never even considered doing that. I think tomorrow I'll be giving all the free champions a shot then and banking that IP. Thanks once again.

I love mah cho.
    I've still been waiting for a Bro'gath skin

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    I've still been waiting for a Bro'gath skin
    Fyi, Gentleman Cho'gath > Rest

I just had a beastly game with Veigar (18-2-10). It would've been much higher if they hadn't surrendered within the first 30ish minutes.