Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    QSS or GA are amazing adc items. If I recall correctly, QSS gets rid of Exhaust and other debuffs, ultimately making it better than any damage item you'll be able to pickup. If it doesn't get rid of Exhaust then I'm sorry for misleading. If you're just 100% committed to damage, a stacked Bloodthirster will give you the most output, Frozen Mallet probably the most uptime on champions. I've wondered about getting a Trinity Force on her too. Black Cleaver can be a nice addition if you feel the other team is super tanky and need more ArP but I'm not quite positive how attack speed stacks/falls off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gratz Axethor on moderator status. I'm sure you have been promoted to lead pimp of the moderators as well.

Anyways, I have a question regarding roles in ranked teams. I know how to play all roles but should I focus on 2 main roles and my teammates the same?
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    If I'm doing really well on ranged AD, I like to pick up the GA after I finish the IE/PD combo. It also really helps if someone else on your team is doing pretty well too. So if you get focused, the other person has time to do some damage, and then you come back too.

I prefer the GA over a QSS, but there are some situations where the QSS is superior. Say if they have a WW or a malz, or a skarner. Something like that. Or if you are getting spam exhausted every fight. I don't really like frozen mallet on ranged ADs, but I see how it could go really well on tristana. I think I saw Cop build it on her in a tourny sometime. Worked pretty well, but he still got dived every fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Gratz Axethor on moderator status. I'm sure you have been promoted to lead pimp of the moderators as well.

Anyways, I have a question regarding roles in ranked teams. I know how to play all roles but should I focus on 2 main roles and my teammates the same?
    When I started I had three roles I trusted myself in, with the other two being playable but certainly not the best. Having two main roles should work well and if what I've gone through is any indication you will eventually become proficient in any role. You will still have a best and worst role (jungle and support respectively for me) but the gap will be small enough that it doesn't really matter anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    When I started I had three roles I trusted myself in, with the other two being playable but certainly not the best. Having two main roles should work well and if what I've gone through is any indication you will eventually become proficient in any role. You will still have a best and worst role (jungle and support respectively for me) but the gap will be small enough that it doesn't really matter anymore.
    I was just wondering because I heard that people do that and I thought it was better if you focused on 2 roles mostly because then you get better at that role and the team is more efficient.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just wondering because I heard that people do that and I thought it was better if you focused on 2 roles mostly because then you get better at that role and the team is more efficient.
    Yeah. The idea is if your good at two roles it's likely that you will get one of them and everyone will have a role they are good at and can play. Since you are all playing in comfortable roles you have a greater chance at winning.

I wanted to be safe and got good at three roles, but still ended up playing my two inferior roles. It happened often enough that I decided to get better at the remaining two or at least find a champ I could play well. It's how I discovered I was good at Kog'Maw for AD Carry, and Leona and Lulu for Support. Now, I play Kog a lot and while I still avoid support I can at least play it on multiple champs and expect to win a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two is a reasonable number for starting ranked, but I would be familiar with all five roles. You will at some point get stuck with the role you don't really want. If you find that you can usually get the role you want, then maybe focus on those roles a bit more, and just try to improve your gameplay. Though I would say at least knowing how to play all 5 roles is quintessential to ranked. If not for the fact that once you've played something a lot you know how to play against it better.

Those are my two cents anyways.

Knowing all roles is important if you ever wanna get high up in Solo Queue, but it's better to know one or two roles well, than just being rubbish at all roles. But surely, if you play a lot, you will get opportunities to play all of them.

My worst role is actually AD Carry, because I feel so extremely vulnerable and it's such a twitchy playstyle because of it. You really need to be on the ball not to get caught by good players.

My best is support, though. I like helping people getting kills and making them live, though it all depends on how smart your teammates are, obviously.

On the GA/QSS-thing; I figure that you'd want Guardian Angel just for negating damage, while QSS is more if CC is the thing stopping you. Knowing when to pick which is key to being a great player.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no point in getting a Trinity Force on Trist. The single biggest thing that is supposed to give you is the Sheen proc. You use your Q once every teamfight and that's it. Both a (2nd) Phantom Dancer and Frozen Mallet would offer more of interest.

Black Cleaver is a bad choice on every single AD carry, barring a few exceptions. Those mostly revolve around being able to pick it up around ~10-12 minutes in. It will let you obliterate your lane opponent and when late(r) game rolls round you can sell it for the price of a Last Whisper.

soraka mid is boss, winning so many games with her in mid atm. i feel kinda useless late game though if the game drags on for too long

On the GA/QSS-thing; I figure that you'd want Guardian Angel just for negating damage, while QSS is more if CC is the thing stopping you. Knowing when to pick which is key to being a great player.
    You can sell the GA once its use is on CD to get a QSS. Also QSS is generally better vs teams that have something important to clear if you are being targeted with them. The three supressions and Mordes ulti are the most obvious examples of where QSS is probably better than GA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm probably not that big a fan of GA anyway. Odds are, if something killed you with ~2k health, they can do it again if you ressed with a mere 700 health. It's a nice item due to its generic defense (some armour, some mr), but it's mostly definitely not my go-to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I'm probably not that big a fan of GA anyway. Odds are, if something killed you with ~2k health, they can do it again if you ressed with a mere 700 health. It's a nice item due to its generic defense (some armour, some mr), but it's mostly definitely not my go-to.
    Exactly - everyone knows you build a 2nd (or 3rd) PD.

It depends, especially AP are all about burst. The perfect example is Malzahar, Malzahar is dependent on his ulti to kill you, if you are still alive after that the odds are he wont kill you (unless you stand in the puddle.) Its also a great displacement, if its a tight team fight the enemy cant stand and wait for you to come back, they have to engage the rest of your team, if you are the AD carry you have a great chance to get up and get a safer position and just 3 autoattacks could decide the fight.

---------- Post added 2012-08-06 at 01:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Qauren View Post
    Exactly - everyone knows you build a 2nd (or 3rd) PD.
    Sell your boots to get another PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    This. GA is an amazing item (good amount of armor and mr + passive) against some teams but awful vs others (for example vs Ashe QSS will rescue you when she arrows you, GA won't help). I'd even say that GA soft counters (does that even exist? :P) a lot of AP champs because you'll come back after the full combo.

I read about having 2 PDs all the time but do you really buy it so often?
    I would only get a 2nd PD as my last item (boots, IE, PD, LW, QSS or GA) and even then a BT seems far better so you don't die from AoE alone. If the game somehow still keeps going, I'll sell boots for a 2nd PD but that's rare.

There are certainly situational times you need a QSS (early game WW, Malz, Ashe). If I recall correctly, it is less then half the price of GA, so for the first 30ish minutes of any game it certainly is worth a purchase.

All this being said, what the hell are you doing in champ select when you pick an ADC and they have either of those champs? Take Cleanse, YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE IGNITE!

As far as GA goes; its pricey, but I don't see why late-late game, 5th item late game, you don't have one as a bruiser top or ADC. M5 buys them at the 35-40 minute mark every game that lasts that long. When you revive with 750 health (thats WAY more then some people give credit for) with most of your moves, you can easily get back up and clean up. The item is godly, having to kill someone 1.25 times? With all their moves back up the second time? Besides the cost I can not think of a reason to not take it as a 5th or 6th item everygame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think I generally even get much further than 4th, 5th item completed anyway. AD builds are expensive and by the time you reach that amount of money, the damage you do is insane enough that any teamfight will be the last one.

--

Read some interesting guide today btw: http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=2091
    The guide itself is pretty poorly written, but the masteries gave me pause for a minute.

Deleted
    Don't think I generally even get much further than 4th, 5th item completed anyway. AD builds are expensive and by the time you reach that amount of money, the damage you do is insane enough that any teamfight will be the last one.

--

Read some interesting guide today btw: http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=2091
    The guide itself is pretty poorly written, but the masteries gave me pause for a minute.
    Strange, I use the same mastery page for my Ez.

Deleted
    Ga is amazing, if they manage to kill you you can pretty much reset a fight (if your not the last member standing / in their middle which would be stupid as a carry). Save flash to create an instant gap and continue shooting / healing.

As for botlane, almost everyone one I see nowadays runs exh/ign. What happened to heal?

Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    Ga is amazing, if they manage to kill you you can pretty much reset a fight (if your not the last member standing / in their middle which would be stupid as a carry). Save flash to create an instant gap and continue shooting / healing.

As for botlane, almost everyone one I see nowadays runs exh/ign. What happened to heal?
    People realised it was still inferior to exhaust ignite.