Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is this too much?

Hey. Im a sophomore in High School soon to be a junior. I play Keeper for my schools Varsity Soccer team, but for next year, I need to be in very good condition. Now, I am already in decent condition, but I really want to push it this ~3 months that I have before my next season starts. I have thought up of a work out schedule for this summer to get in better shape. This work out includes running for cardio and the work out program P90X. Why P90X? Because it works for me :P. I have been doing it for ~2 or 3 weeks. (Note: I do ride ~10 miles in an hour on Mondays w/ my team and do sprints, squats, and other exercises for strength on Wednesday for ~30 minutes.)

Monday-
    * P90x- Chest and back. Consists of mostly push ups and pull ups. Morning.
    * Bike ride in afternoon.

Tuesday-
    * Run 1 miles in morning
    * P90x- Plyometrics (Not the full work out.)

Wednesday-
    * Run 1 mile in morning.
    * Strength training w/ team.

Thursday-
    * Run 1 mile in morning.
    * P90x- Arms and Shoulders. Mostly curls, tricep dips, and pullups.

Friday-
    * Run 1 mile in morning.
    * P90x- Legs and back. Mostly squats and raises.

Saturday- (Maybe a rest day?)
    * Run 1 mile in mourning.
    * P90x- Yoga. (Insanely hard for me. I'm thinking about cutting out the running for this day.)

Sunday- Rest day. Maybe shoot around with friends, but very lightly.

So, I am wondering from all of you if this is too much on the body. I will be drinking more of water than I am now and have been getting enough sleep. My diet is very good and balanced and I plan on keeping it that way. Would this work out be too much strain on the body even with a good diet, a lot of water, and full nights of sleep?

Edit: Also, I know my limitations for lifting/running. If I feel like I am pushing too hard, then I will stop and rest.
    Last edited by Boa; 2011-06-07 at 02:17 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you tired? do you feel pain? If not then you should be fine. Maybe rest Wednesday. Your body does need rest, over training is rather bad and a lot of people seem to make that mistake.

Also make sure you eat the right food and enough of it to fuel your body.
    Last edited by Decan; 2011-06-07 at 02:19 AM.
    Intel i7 2700K (@4.8Ghz) - 8GB Corsair - Windows 7 64Bit - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - Gigabyte GTX680 OC - Benq 120hz LED Monitor

Doing p90x myself and I'm really enjoying it, I say that if you've done it before and going though another rotation of it, test yourself. If you find yourself exhausted, maybe cut the running down a little bit, but either way, make sure you don't malnourish or dehydrate yourself and just test your limits and see how far you go. Personally, I'm on the classic schedule with Sunday as my rest / stretch day but I don't do the additional running, but I've been thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielu100 View Post
    gharld fu cked name,all my friends are playing on this patch and its going fine,u fu cking ugly kid go comment ur mother face not here, morron shit.
    50% nerdrage, 50% wut? o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    Your body needs to rest. Doing rigorous workouts everyday is counterproductive. 5 days a week is probably the most I'd ever consider.

So, should I rest/stretch Saturday also? I could also cut the Yoga and just do a 1 mile or even a 1/2 mile that day too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boa View Post
    So, should I rest/stretch Saturday also? I could also cut the Yoga and just do a 1 mile or even a 1/2 mile that day too.
    I would probably try and find room in the middle of the week. go for 3 days, then rest, go for 2, then rest. 2 days-rest-1 day-rest-2 days is what I usually do. I rly only run and do mild lifting to keep in shape tho.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2011-06-07 at 02:29 AM.

you need more strenght on your legs

Quote Originally Posted by timbli View Post
    you need more strenght on your legs
    That's where the bike ride and Legs and Back from P90x come into play. Both of these things work out your legs amazingly, especially the P90x workout.

Thanks to all of you who replied so quickly. If anyone has any thing else to revise, please do so! More thoughts the better.

6 days a week is fine if you're getting all your nutrition you need.

What kind of strength training are you doing with your team? If you do anything related to upper body you shouldn't be doing Arms & Shoulders the very next day. If you lift, you need 48 hours rest for maximum recovery.

As a keeper, you really should maximize your Plyometric workouts. Your jumps and sheer amount of burst energy is important.

Really, though -- Nutrition is key. Make sure you have enough protein in your diet so you are properly repairing your muscles after you workout.

Don't cut the Yoga. Stretching is important to achieve maximum muscle potential. Running every day is fine. Cardio daily is fine. It is mostly important to get rest after the strength workouts. If you completely isolate your upper body from your lower body and do each twice a week, even that is fine as long as you make sure you stretch and eat right to boost recovery. If you start to overlap your strength workouts, IE doing arms/chest/back 2 days in a row, it will turn in to too much very quickly.

Idealy, if you ran and did yoga/stretch everyday, did core 4-5 times a week, and did arms and legs alternating twice a week, you'll be in good shape rather quickly.

It would be something like Monday Arms, Tuesday Legs, Wed no strength, Thursday Arms, Friday Legs, Weekends rest and stretch while doing core Mon-Friday and running say Monday-Saturday. Sunday is complete rest. Obviously open to change but just the general idea.

However, the above is based mostly on the assumption you are lifting weights. I am not too familiar with P90x (I am a Crossfit person myself.) If you are doing calesthentics, you can do those on an almost daily basis along with abs. I use to swim and for 5 years, I swam 5+ miles a day, did abs and calesthenics, 6 days a week. When I got to college, that only increased and added crossfit to the workout! So in a round about way, you aren't doing too much.

Also, running 1 mile doesn't do much. It barely even warms up your body. (1 mile is <7 minutes for an inshape person) You should think about running at least 2 if your using it for a warm-up and, if youre doing it for cardio, at least 4. That will push your warmup to 15 minutes and cardio to a minimum of 30 (obviously give or take a little depending on how fast you run).

**Insert a lot more information /digressmore**

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Also, You should flip your monday workout. Ride in the morning and lift in the afternoon. You will get a lot more out of your bike ride then. Are you using a road bike or a mountain bike (long rides on mountain bikes suck if your sticking to roads)? A lot of people dont realize this, but you do use your arms for biking. Especially on hills! Take that into consideration when planning your bike rides. Although, since you said you do it with your team ,this could cause conflicts (unless I'm misunderstanding?) And, same thing with running and cardio in general, if you are riding for cardio, make sure its at least a half hour ride.
    Last edited by Vladimeir; 2011-06-07 at 02:50 AM.

@Radux- In out strength training, we will do a few sets of push-ups, but that's really the only upper body that we do. It mostly consists of sprints, squats, some plyos, and more leg work outs. A question about protein: Can I get enough protein from meals, or do I have to drink some sort of protein shake/supplement? I do believe that I eat quite a bit of protein, since I do eat meat quite frequently, but I only know the basics in nutrition.

@Vladimeir- I tried to schedule the upper body work outs the days I go on the bike ride or the day after I work out my legs and back. I believe in the work out I posted the lifting work outs do not overlap. Also, I have not been big into cardio. That's the reason why I chose 1 mile. Do you think it would be better to start at lets say 2 miles, and work my way up to 3 miles and eventually 4?

@ Your edit- My coach schedules the bike ride for an hour or so at 5 p.m. So it really isn't possible to move the ride.

I found that doing cardio after strength training will result in more fat loss.
    I don't see anything wrong with your plan, except you should try incorporate high intensity interval training (HIIT).
    EDIT: Didn't notice you didn't have anything for your abs in there - might wanna do some of that as well.
    Also, I highly suggest taking a week off after every 8-14 weeks depending on your intensity (can take less than a week off or take breaks less often). Most people (including myself) find they come back with more strength when they return because your muscles and your body can properly recuperate from intense weight training. Personally, I find I'm much more motivated when I get back to training too! It's important you eat well in order for your body to bounce back during your week off. You also don't have to sit around the house like a slug all day either on your break, can feel free to do light-moderate activity. I normally decrease my weights a bit when I go back to get my body re-accustomed, it is during my second week back I really feel benefits of taking a week off
    Last edited by Laufeia; 2011-06-07 at 03:07 AM.

for chest if you have the ability to get to one i'd also bench press or at least dumbell press.
    also, i'd do core every day no matter what even on your off day. Situps planks leg lifts whatever you want to do make a routine. I'm not sure if this would help out for soccer as much but I'm a varsity basketball player and core alone has helped me out tremendously.

may have trouble with the running after the leg workouts

Quote Originally Posted by Epiteme View Post
    for chest if you have the ability to get to one i'd also bench press or at least dumbell press.
    also, i'd do core every day no matter what even on your off day. Situps planks leg lifts whatever you want to do make a routine. I'm not sure if this would help out for soccer as much but I'm a varsity basketball player and core alone has helped me out tremendously.
    Oh yea, I forgot to mention that P90x has a very intense ab routine after the Chest & Back, and Arms & Shoulders. It also comes with a disc so I can determine on which days I do that.

i'd still do it every day i do abs 2 or three times a day one in morning one at night sometimes in middle if i go to gym really saw a huge improvement quickly

Abs is one part of your body you can get away with working out every day imo - I wouldn't say going as far as doing it 2x or 3x though. lol.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decan View Post
    Are you tired? do you feel pain? If not then you should be fine. Maybe rest Wednesday. Your body does need rest, over training is rather bad and a lot of people seem to make that mistake.

Also make sure you eat the right food and enough of it to fuel your body.
    Yup, I used to exercise 5 days a week at least when I started high school. Now at the age of 24 I am regretting it. Despite the fact that I was in great shape for such a long time, I put a ton of strain on my muscles from doing so much exercise that it actually had adverse effects and caused me knee and heel pains. I was weight lifting at school in the mornings and going to karate classes at night most days when I was 14 and as much as it felt great at the time, it damaged some of my muscles. If I could do even half the exercise I was able to do back then at this frame in time, I would be in much better shape then I am.

Deleted
    Working out everyday is fine, as long as you eat the correct diet towards the amount of calories your burning...
    Nutrition is far more important to working out then most people think. Without the right diet, ull get no results and just massive fatigue.

If you work out your BMR and work out the calories your burning during your exercises, ensure you eat more calories then that, to ensure the maximum growth on muscle possible. Yoga is great for increasing stability with your core and reducing lactic acid in your muscles, therefore faster recovery.

the 1mile runs seem a bit easy to do tho, and cardio is very overrated atm, especially treadmills and bike machines. try something a lot more difficult and explosive, especially if your a keeper you will want to be able to jump higher, and faster. Therefore try doing jump squats, Burpees, Jump lunges to increase explosive power to help you save those wider shots. Also doing a little cardio/bodyweight fix try this;

10x burpees
    10x Mountain Climbers
    10x Jump squats

and repeat that circuit 3 times, with no rest. therefore doing 90 reps of those without resting. if that is too easy, then do another 90 reps.

This is very similar to the p90x training, as your doing different exercises every 10reps, and also if you want to, change the exercises around in different orders to increase 'muscle confusion' which at the moment hasn't been scientifically proven yet to effectively reduce adapting, but it makes perfect sense in my opinion anyways .

That should take you about 3mins to complete, on average burns about 200 calories, and increases stamina over a couple of weeks dramatically.

I am an MMA fighter and i do these exercises to improve explosive stamina during fights and such, Also investing in equipments such as Clubbells and sledgehammers, are much more fun to workout with, and improve body strength all over, focusing on your abs a lot, as you rely on strong core to keep you stable as you workout. I believe soccer is all about explosive power as well, so training in such a way will improve your performance.

If you want more muscle growth and faster recovery, 3 highly important nutrition required is HMB, Glutamine and Zinc. These will decrease recovery time, and also give you more energy during workouts. Also consider l-carnitine to increase fat metabolism for more stamina if your training daily, and eat around 4000 calories. I eat 6000 calories a day, and i have about 9% body fat, due to doing many supersets and 3min cardio exercises like the one i mentioned above. Ive never ever done cardio on a treadmill or went for a run on the road.

Good luck in training! also ensure you stretch your neck a lot, since pulling neck muscles will keep you away from working out for weeks as it really hurts!

Doesn't seem too bad to me. If you aren't experiencing pain after doing it then you're likely fine.