Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    We can whine all we want about 'epeen' this or that, but honestly, competing for highest damage is the only thing that makes raiding farm content fun after the first few clears.

For me, raiding becomes boring very quickly. So the 'mini-game' called skada/recount is the only thing keeping that repetitive grind remotely interesting.

I can't think of another reason people would find doing the same thing every week enjoyable.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

http://search.stateofdps.com/?name=R...&class=Warlock

My only one for the moment. Don't know how I managed to get it since I was reforged for Aff and not Demo but a rank is a rank :P I need to Sim myself again and see how close haste/mastery are in weight since our Ele Shaman has been missing raids >.<

Thats weak I still cant post links yet

7 top purses right now

state of dps Blacksuit Siege Us-Shadowmoon aff

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't post links either - Frewt <Incandescent>

Currently got 8, 9, 13, 16, 31, 32, 35 and 81 as Demo.

The 8th was 5th for a while but been overtaken now
    Last edited by Frewt; 2011-06-08 at 12:19 PM.

Normal ranks are pretty lol

old log, but i'll take it.

sitting at 19th Resto shammy, Heroic - Atramedes.

http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/play...ration_Shaman/

ranked on Heroic Chim last night, 127. waiting on the log link.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Normal ranks are pretty lol
    I take offense to this. Maybe from a progression standpoint heroics are the only thing that "matters" but for people who either choose not to do heroics, or who are in guilds who cannot clear heroic content normal rankings are all they have. If I rank on a normal I'm damn proud of it, seeing as by this point I'm competing against people who may have heroic gear, whereas I do not. I think it speaks volumes about a player who ranks over those who objectively have better gear. I don't have a single piece of gear over 359, and yet I still manage to rank over people that do, and I do it in the only fights available to me. Not everyone is in a guild that is pushing heroic content, and there are several good players staying in guilds with friends rather than ditching them for the sake of progression. It's not like everyone is decked out in all heroic gear and facerolling the dps on normal just for the sake of ranking.

Ok for normal ranks you're left with two options

A) It's players in high end gear who have no business even doing normal modes, completing skewing the results and defeating the purpose of normal ranks in the first place

B) It's players who should be doing normals, but that means that they aren't capable of doing heroics. Which makes them the best of the worst. And not that there's anything wrong with casual raiding or normal modes, but by the nature of things ranking them turns it into a competition of people who are mediocre. How do you decide at what point someone is too good for normal modes and the rankings involved and their ranks associated don't count? It's why when you do things like this it's best to just keep it at the top level so there's no inconsistency. Like, congrats you're the best at normal modes in the world, this probably means you should be doing heroic instead. At which point it kind of loops back around to my first point.

And I'm not trying to say normal ranks shouldn't exist or anything. More power to the casuals and normal raiders that rank and can brag to their friends about it; it's just that normal ranks are pretty lol

I see where you're coming from, and I'll admit that I didn't fully realize your implications. I incorrectly assumed that you were asserting that heroic content was the "be all end all." However, I will disagree that just because someone does well at normal modes means they should be doing heroics. Like I said, there are many reasons a player would stick to normals, however nine times out of ten it's because their guild isn't capable of downing heroic content. That doesn't mean they need to find a new guild though, especially if they are content with where they are and the people they are raiding with. So if normal content is all they can do, then so be it.

I'm sure there are exceptions, and I fully understand the idea of sticking with a guild under your skill level for whatever reason.

But c'mon, if you have a #1 rank on a normal mode, you probably have no business doing that normal mode

Haha, ok, that's fair. At this point, yes, odds are if you are ranked first on ANY normal fight, then you most likely are doing it JUST for the rank, and not because it's challenging to you or your guild in any way shape or form.

Normal rankings will probably be more objective when 4.2 hits, but only for a month or two until people start outgearing the content again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to assume that the original "Normal ranks are pretty lol" may have been aimed at me since it came straight after my post, and while I do agree with you about overgeared people inflating their ranks on Normal mode, personally my gear level is 362, and while yes that is of course higher than 359, it's hardly the same as stomping around in full 372.

At the end of the day we should just be proud to even be ranked at all.

If you complain about 'overgeared' people inflating ranks, you should do the same with buff-stacking players doing just the same: inflating ranks.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Its interesting that whenever I go Demo I rank with ease, but as Aff I'm normally at about 1% under ranking. So I'll assume that I'm about average at playing Aff, not spectacular, but not horrible. But like is it the under-representation of the spec? I don't consider the numbers I pull as Demo to be incredibly impressive (they aren't utter garbage either), like I feel I can screw up more as demo and still rank, I am not geared or reforged for Demo (I just use my aff gear). I can pull 20k+ fairly easily single target Demo, why is it that the rankings all seem to be such low numbers...

Edit: Clarification - I'm pretty sure its possible to pull decent numbers as Demo (not awesome but not as low as the rankings seem to be), are just so few people playing it that we can't see what the really good ones can do?
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-06-08 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    If you complain about 'overgeared' people inflating ranks, you should do the same with buff-stacking players doing just the same: inflating ranks.
    You can't inflate heroic records, but you can definitely inflate normal mode ranks

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post

Edit: Clarification - I'm pretty sure its possible to pull decent numbers as Demo (not awesome but not as low as the rankings seem to be), are just so few people playing it that we can't see what the really good ones can do?
    Pretty much. Many people who might be skilled/geared enough to rank on, say, heroic V&T with demo would rather go with destro or affliction because the encounter is clearly slanted toward those two specs. They might not get rankings with those specs but they'll end up spitting out a lot more damage.

Cant post links yet, but here are mine

search.stateofdps.com/?name=dem%C3%B4nlock&guild=Pie%20Vendor%20A&server=Shadowsong&class=Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    You can't inflate heroic records, but you can definitely inflate normal mode ranks
    What makes you think you CAN'T inflate heroic records? You can, and they do, they always have. Think of PI, TOTT, etc...

http://search.stateofdps.com/?name=W...r&class=Shaman

U mad?

(also with some classes inflating numbers is literally the only way to get ranks. Warlocks do it a lot with shadowflame & Soulburn SoC, and I see a lot of it from other specs as well. Very few specs exist now were there's no useless DPS inflation people abuse to get ranked :l. I know if I had the option of inflating my ranks by abusing our rogues ToTT I would happily take it, just like players do with DI whoring, PIs, double lusting on rare occasions by dying, etc. etc.)
    Last edited by wordup; 2011-06-08 at 10:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 5 rankings. 2 are on the same fight, but no heroic rankings yet.
    http://search.stateofdps.com/?name=t...server=&class=