Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Wink Cho'gall 10 Heroic Kill Time and Strat

Hey guys,

Trying to get a feel for how long it takes to learn heroic Cho'gall in 10 man and some comments on the strategy we should use given our comp. Obviously times will vary so I'm interested in how it compares with how long it took you to learn heroic Nef and Al'akir.

For us (10 man), these are the heroic first kill times.

Al'Akir - 10 hours
    Nefarian - 3 hours
    Omnotron - 3 Hours
    V&T - 5 hours
    Conclave -5 hours
    Magmaw - 3 hours
    Maloriak - 2 hours
    Atramedes - 3 hours
    Chimaeron - 6 hours
    Halfus - 1 hour

------------------

Also for Cho'gall, we are planning on this comp.

H: Resto Druid, Disc Priest, Holy Pally
    D: Fire Mage (100% corrupt), Shadow Priest, Arms Warrior, Assassination Rogue, Frost DK
    T: Prot Pally, Blood DK

Our current plan is to corrupt the mage, save his health with shields and rotating CDs, etc.

My question is, with this comp, who would you put on elementals (just the fire mage?), who would you put on adherents, and who would you put on the blood (little adds)?

I know people do this with 2 healers, and we may switch to just disc priest/druid, but for now we are going to start with 3 as we learn the fight.

Also, any tips for where and how to stack up the blood?

Thanks!

---------- Post added 2011-06-08 at 12:43 PM ----------

Also, does anyone know how much health he has on heroic?
    Last edited by Sacrelicious; 2011-06-08 at 08:21 PM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last night we got to phase 2. Does anyone have any opinions on whether we are better off dodging the big tentacles or just staying put?
    Last edited by Sacrelicious; 2011-06-09 at 07:02 PM.

Dodge them they hurt. Make sure to interrupt/stun the little ones and kill them asap. Tank the boss on the stairs near the throne.
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    When you say dodge them, do you mean move cho'gall to one of the walls off the throne, or just have the ranged move?

Dodging them means everyone runs away from them. No one's going to be staying in one spot on heroic because everyone has to get away from spiked tentacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleysia View Post
    Dodging them means everyone runs away from them. No one's going to be staying in one spot on heroic because everyone has to get away from spiked tentacles.
    Correct, mark one of your raiders (a healer is best) and stack on that person, move when necessary

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok - Does this not create big line of sight issues if he's tanked on the throne?

We tanked him against the walls in normal mode, and have seen some videos of that being done in Heroic Cho 10. What do you think of the wall strat vs throne?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    Ok - Does this not create big line of sight issues if he's tanked on the throne?

We tanked him against the walls in normal mode, and have seen some videos of that being done in Heroic Cho 10. What do you think of the wall strat vs throne?
    Bad idea to stack in p2. People will start puking over each other and it's unavoidable even if you avoid all the crashes and get the interrupts in p1. Hands down the easiest way is to tank him on the throne and just aoe the small tentacles when they spawn around him. ranged just spread out near the bottom and turn away if you're puking.

Obviously don't stand next to the big tentacle.

Deleted
    If you got decent healers and the restodruid knows how to play Lolkin or the disc can go shadow it will be cake running with 2 healers. It makes everything much easier as you can have two melee just stand on the boss after the big add spawns and therefor having the melee nuking the shadow/fire lord.
    As on normal the raid-damage comes in spikes and the tank damage is consistent but predictive. So if you find yourselves stuggling with this encounter i would suggest that you try 2 man healing it =)

Deleted
    On this fight you will have to manage the resources you have to the maximum. On the kill night we went with melee heavy group and practically no slowdowns ... it was a lot of problems at the start but we managed somehow.

Here is a link to our kill video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuEHL...layer_embedded

Elementals: We don't have a warrior so can't really say about the burst they have, but we used our DK on Elementals and he was handling them pretty well alone. Only help he got was warlock dots, but even without it he was fine. As soon as mage got corrupted to full he took over elementals freeing other dpsers.

Corrupted Adherents: Nothing unusual, our pala tank was taking them towards the stairs, not too far up tho. You can see our fail positioning of the pools on the video. Yes it was pretty bad. Normally we use a trick where tank tries to take Adherent to the edge of the previous pool and when Adherent is low on HP priest pulls him through the pool to the other side. Ad dies in the previous pool and Bloods are nicely stacked.

Bloodzzzz: It was our biggest issue because of lack of slows. On the kill video we pretty much failed on handling them well. It looks much better on most of the tries. After many different approaches to the problem I got an idea of me slowing them as a rogue. Yes, my personal dps went to shit but as long as we got a kill I'm happy with that. I used crippling poison on thrown and glyphed it to boost its application chances plus glyph of FoK to increase its range. When bloods appeared I just tricked distant tank and FoK a few times. 70% slowdown is damn nice and was sufficient to give ranged enough time to kill Bloods. On the video we went to phase 2 using heroism as soon as 3rd wave of Bloods died but we can also handle 4th wave of ads if needed.

Phase 2: Avoid big tentacles and leave them alone. Interrupt small creations ASAP and dispose of them. Walking the boss next to the wall makes him spawn Creations more clustered, less distance to run after them.

Ah Shame to admit... but took us a lot of tries to realize we don't have armor debuff on boss ... we got used to our standard warrior tank that no one noticed Our dps went up nicely when drood applied the debuff. Good luck.

Btw. If you wonder 2 or 3 healers. If your overall raid DPS is about 120k you should make the enrage timer with 3 healers, if not go for 2.

Deleted
    We do it with two healers. Little reason not to, to be fair. All raid damage is avoidable, other than Shadow's Orders obviously, and tanks should line up CDs for adds phases and Flame's Orders since that's the only time their dtps actually is high. I think Cho'gall took us 3-ish hours tops, wasn't very difficult. We do outgear it quite drastically though.

For p2, move Cho'gall alongside the walls to stand on a safe distance from the big tentacles, but other than that treat it like the normal mode and never look at anybody else after you feel terrible.

Deleted
    It's a lot easier with 3 healers when u have a corrupted mage. You iceblock the first shadow thingy and double pws the mage doing shadow aoe and he doesn't die till p2. Mage can solo the elementals when he isn't mind controlled or you can use tank+combat rogue with blade furry, but i'd recommend just using mage with the shadowpriest as backup.

P2 you just go from wall to wall. We started off going to the throne, while it is possible you will have all the tenctacles spawn there and they will start hurting badly when there's 4 of them up hitting you. So just kite from wall to wall when the small adds are dead.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys for all the help.

This is what we did.

1) 3 healers, 100% corrupt mage. Disc priest (me) was in charge of keeping the mage topped up during initial shadow crashes. To deal with shadow's orders damage, I bubbled the mage around 7 seconds after the shadow add spawned, then used flash heal to reduce the weakened soul debuff on the mage so that once the first shadow AoE tick went off I could shield him again. I was also responsible for calling out cooldowns to be used on the mage during shadow's orders. With cooldowns, he would lose at most 5% of his health on each shadow's orders.

2) Elemental adds were soloed by our arms warrior who made very quick work of them. When the mage went to 100% corrupt, he soloed adds instead, even when blood was up.

3) Everyone did blood when they were up. We had the frost DK and rogue applying slows, but also blast wave etc.

4) Mage died in the transition to last phase. Battle rezzed him to 100% health, but lost his corruption.

5) Put Cho'gall against a wall in final phase. If a big tentacle spawned in melee range, the tank moved Cho to the other side of the pillar. If it spawned at range, the range just moved out of the way of it.

6) We bloodlusted at the start of the final phase. We found that we were able to get to the final phase after the fourth set of blood of the old gods without lust, so we opted to use lust at the beginning of the final phase.

7) The disc priest and mage combo are pivotal to the fight, if anyone has any questions about this, feel free to contact Sacrelicious on Dunemaul. Mage spammed pyroblast to get huge DPS, used evo after the fire patches had all spawned during a flame's orders.

8) 21 total attempts, which equated to about 4 hours of total attempt time.

Thanks again, hope this summary helps!
    Last edited by Sacrelicious; 2011-06-10 at 06:15 PM.