Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by epicdk View Post
    Hey anyone here got any tips for gaining weight/muscle weight? i work out for an hour every day and i take protein and im still not gaining weight even though im getting stronger? im 140 pounds and 6 foot 1 inch. so im pretty underweight. any tips would be appreciated and also any workout tips would be nice. No weight room access at the moment.
    You need to FEAST. Not on junkfood, but on lean foods, and lots of it. Lots of times people trying to gain weight by drinking protein powder don't realize that most protein shakes are very low on calories. I would highly recommend using BSN True-Mass for gaining weight through lean muscle. Last fall I weighed 150lbs at 6'3". Since then i've put on 35lbs of lean muscle by maintaining a high calorie diet along with about 10 hours per week of weight lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by epicdk View Post
    Hey anyone here got any tips for gaining weight/muscle weight? i work out for an hour every day and i take protein and im still not gaining weight even though im getting stronger? im 140 pounds and 6 foot 1 inch. so im pretty underweight. any tips would be appreciated and also any workout tips would be nice. No weight room access at the moment.
    Not eating enough. Plain and simple.

Protein powder isn't supposed to make you big. It's an extra source of protein. Nothing more, nothing less.

You probably have a ridiculously fast metabolism so just eat the whole fridge and you'll find you put more muscle than fat on

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest component that has any influence on your body type is not your workout schedule nor your diet. Of course, they play a considerable role, but the strongest force is your genetic build. So while this guy

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    i eat 1-1 1/2 meals a day and cant lose any weight, im 5'8 and around 230lbs.........wtf is this!!!!
    might be an endomorph, you, OP, are probably an ectomorph. Your body is just not made for generating big amounts of muscle mass. No need to resign, you will eventually see success with the right diet and workout (which you obviously already have), but you just can't expect to see a big development.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    There's this concept called "fun." I know it's foreign to most of the people on this forum, but perhaps you should look into it; there's a school of thought that suggests it's integral to why people play games.

Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    Kinda sure that you're in a similar situation as I am, except that I don't really work out.
    I'm about 187cm tall, weigh in at 63kg. [6 foot 2 inches, 139 pounds]

Can eat what I want, whenever I want, still won't gain weight. Only way to actually manage to gain weight would, at least that's what I've been told, to consume about 4000 kilocalories per day and stay still most of the time.
    Unfortunately, I just am not hungry enough to take in more than 3000 kilocalories a day and I really dislike doing nothing. Really, really dislike that. Can't even just sit there and listen to music, or watch a long game sequence that I already know, always start up Freecell when that happens.

So yeah, bottom line: Eat a LOT. Try to choose healthy stuff, but EAT.
    Train your muscles (not jogging etc). Muscles weigh more than fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumennon View Post
    The biggest component that has any influence on your body type is not your workout schedule nor your diet. Of course, they play a considerable role, but the strongest force is your genetic build. So while this guy

might be an endomorph, you, OP, are probably an ectomorph. Your body is just not made for generating big amounts of muscle mass. No need to resign, you will eventually see success with the right diet and workout (which you obviously already have), but you just can't expect to see a big development.
    True to an extent but not entirely correct.

Your genetic make up does indeed have a major influence in your physique, but it does not mean you are destined to not see any vast improvement etc.

You've just got to push into overdrive to really get there.

EDIT: To go into further detail,

Your genetics have more to do with the shape/structure of your muscle and yes your metabolism.

The structure part is the important bit. Some people have a great structure, but poor metabolism. All this essentially means is you have to focus harder on filling out or cutting down that structure in order to perfect it.

Pretty much bodybuilding 101(omg bodybuilding, big freaks etc...no). Sculpting a physique takes time and patience, but stick with it and you can achieve your goal.
    Last edited by Swiftstryder; 2011-06-19 at 07:47 AM.

Deleted
    My normal advise to people that can't loose weight, as that the best way to do so, is by not eating anything at all, and if you do anyway, make sure to puke it all up ASAP!
    Now, for your situation, the opposite holds true.. Eat a lot, but never, never, NEVER poop again!

Trolololol

I'm 5' 9" and sit at about 110lbs. I sit on my ass and eat junkfood all day, whilst playing WoW/Rift and can't gain weight. Believe me i try, i order a TON at fast food places and snack all the time. Lets take when i go to taco bell for instance. I get a crunchwrap, soft taco, nachos bell grande and another item that i try different each visit. McDonalds i get a Big Mac, 10 pc nuggets, and a double cheeseburger. Oh and sometimes apple pies.

Figure it's just my high metabolism, we'll see. =/

Deleted
    I am student and dont usually prefer spending all my money for gym so I have several workouts to do which have been more than enough for me. As example if you are willing to train your chest I can warmly recommend the following workout:

1. Lie on the floor with two kettlebells next to your shoulders.
    2. Position one in place on your chest and then the other, gripping the kettlebells on the handle with the palms facing forward.
    3. Extend both arms, so that the kettlebells are being held above your chest. Lower one kettlebell, bringing it to your chest and turn the wrist in the direction of the locked out kettlebell.
    4. Raise the kettlebell and repeat on the opposite side.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Train your muscles (not jogging etc). Muscles weigh more than fat.
    That statement by itself is a huge pet peeve. Muscle does NOT weight more than fat. Muscle is more dense, but it obviously doesn't weigh more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    That statement by itself is a huge pet peeve. Muscle does NOT weight more than fat. Muscle is more dense, but it obviously doesn't weigh more.
    Actually he is telling the truth, muscle does indeed weight more then fat, as in you need less muscle for 1 kg then you would require fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Draqn View Post
    Actually he is telling the truth, muscle does indeed weight more then fat, as in you need less muscle for 1 kg then you would require fat.
    Right, density. But the statement that it 'weighs more' is incredibly misleading, especially in regards to the context of the issue being addressed. It requires different amounts of calories to lose and gain fat and muscle. It isn't as simple as that.

Don't lift every day. Your muscles need time to rest. Lift 3-4 days/week and alternate muscles

OP: go to a doctor. Really. I had a roommate in college that was 6"2 and was about 145lbs... He ate a pound of bacon, half a dozen eggs, and half a loaf of bread for breakfast, and more for lunch and dinner. Ended up that he had a digestive disorder that caused his small and large intestine to not absorb nutrients/fats/etc so basically he was eating a shitton and "passing" it out before his body could take in the protein/fats and carbs. Once he was on the right Medication, he was able to gain weight. If your case is sever and your calorie input is much higher than output, and still no weight gain after a few months, see a doctor, it could be some sort of digestive disorder!

There are a few people who know what they are talking about in here but most of it is garbage. Don't buy any protein power or protein bar or take any of that supplement crap. It will do nothing for you. Those are tools professional athletes use to gain a slight edge when the competition is at a very skilled and equal level.

For someone in your position, go on and off every other day or two and push heavy 2 or 3 reps for a few cycles each time, big muscle groups. Bench press no incline, power rack squat with a spotter or two, dead lifts and weighted pull ups. Heavy meaning you are shitting bricks on the first rep. Your quads and hams/glutes/back are where you will gain the most weight because they are the largest muscle groups of the body. As you workout and educate yourself you can work on the smaller muscle groups in between.

Don't skimp on the cardio. On rest days, run sprints/hills/stairs or hit the pavement for a few miles. As you pack on more muscle you have to train your heart to accommodate the increased need for O2. Or you can turn into a curl monkey/jersey boy and get gigantic and not be able to clear a flight of stairs without sucking wind.

Eat, that's it. Chicken and rice, fish and rice, steak and rice. Drink water. Despite what some people are saying do not force yourself to eat. Eat till you are full and as you gain weight, your appetite will increase. Stay consistent and good luck!

To gain more muscle mass you need to first break it down. To break it down you have to lift heavy weights with low amounts of reps. Max out at 8 reps, if you can do more then increase the weight. I'm sure by now people have already covered diet. Just make sure you consume your body weight in grams of protein and drink lots of water.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its per lb of lbm, not body mass....

Well this might not be the type of advice you're looking for, but maybe it'll help. About two months ago I weighed 102 lbs (5"6.5), I tried eating tons to try and gain weight, but I just ended up getting sick a lot. I haven't really changed any eating or exercising habits. I was told to start drinking two bottles of Ensure a day and the last time I checked I was at 118 lbs.

The biggest problem is that you're working out every day. When you work out that much your body doesn't have enough time to repair itself and you won't gain much weight. And your diet is pretty much the most important factor in front of working out. So cut back the working out to 3-4 days a week and eat around 6 smaller meals a day. Work out using a lot of compound movements and don't forget about your legs. The big exercises are squats, deadlifts, bench presses and pull ups.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    When you eat just once a day, your body starts conserving and collecting more fat to make sure you won't starve. That's why in p. much any guide to how to lose weight it's told that you should eat many times a day, just in small quantities.
    This is to lose weight roflmao. lose or stick with your weight depending on the amount you eat.

The best tip i could give would be to buy WheyFX, a very good protein powder you mix with milk and its amazingly good. Not just taste but effect. I gained about 3-4kilos 1½ week muscle weight. Though I'm 200pounds~ and dont lose weight very easily :P Another tip would be to try out Creatine, that oughta help you gain some weight aswell. Theres Creatine that doesnt bind too much with water.

Quote Originally Posted by gvd13 View Post
    The biggest problem is that you're working out every day. When you work out that much your body doesn't have enough time to repair itself and you won't gain much weight. And your diet is pretty much the most important factor in front of working out. So cut back the working out to 3-4 days a week and eat around 6 smaller meals a day. Work out using a lot of compound movements and don't forget about your legs. The big exercises are squats, deadlifts, bench presses and pull ups.
    Stop giving tips for the opposite of what he wants. He doesnt want to lose or stick with his weight, he wants to gain. Meaning EAT ALOT OF CHICKEN AND MEAT, BIG MEALS 3-4 TIMES A DAY.