Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    i eat 1-1 1/2 meals a day and cant lose any weight, im 5'8 and around 230lbs.........wtf is this!!!!
    Don't you find this entertaining? lol.
    I'm 5' 10" 205lbs and don't work out at all but my muscles are huge. Genetics are a funny thing.
    Gaze long unto an abyss, and the abyss will gaze back unto you.

You have to eat and drink alot
    Gaining weight means eat more calories then you burn. (not that hard)

But dont just go to the mac every day.
    Eat 2 grams of (egg white? ) per kilo of body weight (so if you weigh 60 KG then eat 120 grams of egg white
    You'll find that stuff in Tuna, chicken filet and a whole bunch of other food .. no not eggs. Weird as it is it has only 2-6 grams of EW ..
    Fish has the most .. most of the time.

Also if you want to gain muscles you need to eat good fat and suckers (not to much)

As seen above ppl start talking about calories and lots of it .. not entirely true .
    you can add 3k of C's when humping to the mac every day .. so not that good.

GL
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Drink a lot of water and eat protein diet like bananas , oatmeal, boiled potatoes and eggs and milk too

10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding the OP, my advice to you would be the following things:

1. Keep Lifting- make your rep scheme only to 8 reps with a 30 sec. rest period; therefore your weight should be VERY heavy

2. Rotate Your Split- rewire your entire routine (what muscles are worked on each day etc) and make sure EVERY exercise you do is Free-Weighted- maybe one-two cable exercises at the end for Drop Sets

3. Buy a Mass-Gainer Supplement- A Mass Gainer is a high protein/high calorie shake that has additional supplements needed to put help promote size (HMB, ZMA, Creatine, Leucine etc.) The Mass Gainer I would recommend is GNC's RAW Re-Built Mass. Mass Gainer's tend to have between 850-1100 calories per shake. So have one in the morning when you wake up and one before sleep while eating throughout the day. Just space your meals 2.5-3hrs. in between each other. Mathematically, it is impossible for you not to gain weight. Trust me when it comes to gaining muscle/fitness its all science there's no guesswork.

4. Increase Your Food Intake- No matter what, you need to eat more than you do. The mass gainer will help you with meeting a higher caloric intake number. Make your meals big.

5. Hydration- The more water you put in your body the more it will help with the recovery of your muscles plus it will help with the digestion of your food; water will also maintain your muscles staying/feeling/looking full.

6. Progress Photo- Take pictures of yourself every week with your weight/stats etc as a means of tracking your growth. I would say if you 6'1, try shooting for 190-205 (which will take you about 2-3 years, but you will look amazing)

* maintain your diet stays clean so the mass you put on is lean mass ya dig?

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/XeroDivide/ (my web page showing my growth thus far-- new pic coming next week)
    Last edited by XeroDivide; 2011-06-13 at 05:22 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XeroDivide View Post
    Regarding the OP, my advice to you would be the following things:

1. Keep Lifting- make your rep scheme only to 8 reps with a 30 sec. rest period; therefore your weight should be VERY heavy

2. Rotate Your Split- rewire your entire routine (what muscles are worked on each day etc) and make sure EVERY exercise you do is Free-Weighted- maybe one-two cable exercises at the end for Drop Sets

3. Buy a Mass-Gainer Supplement- A Mass Gainer is a high protein/high calorie shake that has additional supplements needed to put help promote size (HMB, ZMA, Creatine, Leucine etc.) The Mass Gainer I would recommend is GNC's RAW Re-Built Mass. Mass Gainer's tend to have between 850-1100 calories per shake. So have one in the morning when you wake up and one before sleep while eating throughout the day. Just space your meals 2.5-3hrs. in between each other. Mathematically, it is impossible for you not to gain weight. Trust me when it comes to gaining muscle/fitness its all science there's no guesswork.

4. Increase Your Food Intake- No matter what, you need to eat more than you do. The mass gainer will help you with meeting a higher caloric intake number. Make your meals big.

5. Hydration- The more water you put in your body the more it will help with the recovery of your muscles plus it will help with the digestion of your food; water will also maintain your muscles staying/feeling/looking full.

6. Progress Photo- Take pictures of yourself every week with your weight/stats etc as a means of tracking your growth. I would say if you 6'1, try shooting for 190-205 (which will take you about 2-3 years, but you will look amazing)

* maintain your diet stays clean so the mass you put on is lean mass ya dig?

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/XeroDivide/ (my web page showing my growth thus far-- new pic coming next week)
    Yep. Only thing I would change is number 3, he's better off making his own. Whey, peanut butter, oats, fruit, etc. He'll be able to manipulate it more to his macro/calorie needs, be cheaper, & bet it'll taste better . The rest of the info is good though.
    Last edited by Shik Valentine; 2011-06-13 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Derped

Just turn 30 years old...you won't have any problem gaining weight then. You'll gain weight just by smelling a chocolate chip cookie!

Like mostly everyone has said - you need to increase your calorie intake. BUT do it in a healthy approach.

Majority (if not all) of your daily fat in-take should come from healthy sources and not processed foods like pizza, cookies, etc. like some people mentioned. Healthy sources include nuts (I highly recommend walnuts and almonds; peanuts are one of the least nutritious nuts and actually not a true nut any way), olive oil (extra virgin is best), avocados, certain seeds such as sesame and sunflower, and some fish like salmon!

For complete protein sources you can eat regular cottage cheese, eggs, tuna and chicken or add a scoop of whey powder in a smoothie. There are other food sources that contain protein but are incomplete such as beans, rice, etc. However, when combined properly you can make a meal with complete proteins such as kidney beans + long grain rice or almond butter + toasted whole grain bread for breakfast! (Can read more on incomplete proteins: http://www.bodyforlife2.com/incompletprotein.htm)

For complex carbs you should consume oatmeal (not the instant stuff, the 5 minute oats!), sweet potato, beans (pinto, black, kidney), brown rice, whole grain bread (if you are prone to acne, I'd try to minimize bread and rice intake though), and cream of wheat. Fibrous carbs should be kale, spinach, lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli. I suggest adding kale and/or spinach to your post-work out smoothie along with raspberries and blueberries or some other type of fruit. But I find berries cover up the taste (that's if you don't like their taste) the best.

Try to incorporate fruit earlier in the day with some of the food mentioned above. Like .. a banana with your oatmeal. Cucumber with hummus and avocado in a sandwich for lunch (really good). Apple and almond butter for an afternoon snack. Tomato pieces in your omelette (I like to eat the rest of the tomato after). Peach slices and cottage cheese for breakfast. Even if you do work out later on in the night, I do suggest adding fruit to your protein drink for quick digesting carbs.
    Last edited by Laufeia; 2011-06-13 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    Kinda sure that you're in a similar situation as I am, except that I don't really work out.
    I'm about 187cm tall, weigh in at 63kg. [6 foot 2 inches, 139 pounds]

Can eat what I want, whenever I want, still won't gain weight. Only way to actually manage to gain weight would, at least that's what I've been told, to consume about 4000 kilocalories per day and stay still most of the time.
    Unfortunately, I just am not hungry enough to take in more than 3000 kilocalories a day and I really dislike doing nothing. Really, really dislike that. Can't even just sit there and listen to music, or watch a long game sequence that I already know, always start up Freecell when that happens.

So yeah, bottom line: Eat a LOT. Try to choose healthy stuff, but EAT.
    I had a band mate that just could NOT gain weight whatesoever. So whenever we went on tour, he would come home about 20-25 pounds lighter. His doctor prescribed him some sort of medicine that made him have a gigantic appetite, and it seemed to work. He didn't necessarily gain a lot of weight, but he definitely didn't lose like he did, so maybe that could help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwntatoes View Post
    I told my friend I was going to McDonalds, but I actually went to Burger King. Kind of rude, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    Bring her some ribbon candy and worthers original. Old Bitches love ribbon candy and worthers original.

Deleted
    First things first.....do more of EVERYTHING and you will gain more. Working out 7 days a week is perfectly fine as your muscles only need around 12 hours to get into a fully functional state ( a little sore, but nothing you cant handle ). What I would recommend would be to work out 4 hours a day 7 days a week, rotate which muscle pairs you are working on and also focus on your "core strength" which will work very little on toning your muscles and solely on bulking which is the quickest way to weight gain while training, sports such as Sambo wrestling is VERY good for this.

During training drink a protein shake such as whey protien (cheap and efficient) drink a full serving 2 hours before training then one during training and also one 2 hours after, the one during your training will be the one which is going to give you the most weight gain and will also reduce the amount of time it takes to recuperate. After each training session have a sauna session for about 30 mins using olbas oil and you will feel right as rain for the next day.

You will also notice from this a gain in appetite, eat high carbs and protein, things such as salmon sandwiches are fantastic and taste great with a bit of mayo/salad cream. Eat 5 large meals a day followed by small snacks like said sandwiches between, eat even if you arnt hungry.

Using this I can guarantee you WILL gain weight at a very quick rate, it worked for me and was designed for skinny people wanting to bulk

Only way to actually manage to gain weight would, at least that's what I've been told, to consume about 4000 kilocalories per day and stay still most of the time.
    Unfortunately, I just am not hungry enough to take in more than 3000 kilocalories a day and I really dislike doing nothing. Really, really dislike that.
    Woah, 3-4 million calories a day is a lot! :P

OT: I have the same problem, even when working out I don't seem to gain weight, I stay about the same just tone up. Probably needed to add protein supplement or something but I don't like using supplements or anything

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Some need to rethink a bit, obviously you can't just overload on calories and think it's positive, you'll just build up fat deposits.

Quote Originally Posted by epicdk View Post
    Hey anyone here got any tips for gaining weight/muscle weight? i work out for an hour every day and i take protein and im still not gaining weight even though im getting stronger? im 140 pounds and 6 foot 1 inch. so im pretty underweight. any tips would be appreciated and also any workout tips would be nice. No weight room access at the moment.
    Simple, kill intake of carbs.
    40% protein, 40% fats, 20% carbs should be your distribution

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    i eat 1-1 1/2 meals a day and cant lose any weight, im 5'8 and around 230lbs.........wtf is this!!!!
    It's not a good idea to cut back on meals, but if you feel it works, be sure to eat something once you ake up, anything, like a boiled egg or two, then another a few hours later... end the day with a meal with a lot of protein.

People who wants to lose weight in a quite... extreme way, could look into the ketodiet... in essence it means you cut back carbs to a low value daily, like 20-60 grams. This will force your body to preserve muscles while using fat deposits to sustain it's energy needs.

However, it won't work very well if you allow yourelf a pizza and bag o' chips every weekend, it makes your metabolism go haywire.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2011-06-13 at 10:04 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    This, give your body some recovery time. Dont train if youre soar as it can cause problems. When working out, your muscles tear and then repair and become stronger/bigger after you have finished and are recovering.
    Its something like that, dont quote me on it though.
    The point of working out is to work out so hard that you break your muscles, tear 'em apart like theres no tomorrow! This will make your body realize it's not strong enough to do what you want to do, thus repairing and reinforcing the muscles.
    If you want to gain weight while working out you pretty much just have to consume shitloads of calories (and protein for the muscles). This means you're free to raid McDonalds or something similar whenever you feel like it, as long as you eat healthy too

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    You're pretty much free to consume whatever you want, but there's a difference between calories and calories. For example, a candybag of 1500 kcal sure will set you back more than 1500kcal worth of meat would. Hamburgers are quite good food, the white bread isn't but it's not that bad... it's the carbs and "fried fats" (...) in the fries that sucks
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

My method was literally, sitting and playing PC games, eating chicken meat food a lot (of course beef and swine too, but chicken was the main course), drinking a protein shake before and after a gym visit. Visiting the gym not more than 3 times a week.
    no running/cycling/swimming whatsoever

have no tips, gaining weight just comes naturally for me

Snacking on peanut butter, honey, and bananas before bed-or waking up to snack if you're really hardcore helped me. I also drink a half gallon of milk a day.

Deleted
    Weight is a funny thing. I've had the same weight for like 3 years now - I don't do any exercise, but I eat healthy, sometimes I don't eat healthy, but even then I don't gain a lot of weight, but I never seem to drop weight either when I eat super healthy and actually get some exercise. It's a good thing, because I am a tiny bit over the weight I should be, without being overweight. I am sadly just too lazy to work out, and I can't get myself to stay in a sports genre. I've played football, basket, tennis etc. etc. Nothing seems to keep me interested for more than 6 months top.

Can eat what I want, whenever I want, still won't gain weight.
    I hate you!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    You're pretty much free to consume whatever you want, but there's a difference between calories and calories. For example, a candybag of 1500 kcal sure will set you back more than 1500kcal worth of meat would. Hamburgers are quite good food, the white bread isn't but it's not that bad... it's the carbs and "fried fats" (...) in the fries that sucks
    that is the exact same thing as saying 1kg of feathers weighs more than 1kg of rocks

also, to the rest of the people in this tread who seems to think weight is some magical genetic feature, its not. you cant eat "whatever you want and still not gain weight", if youre doing that, you dont eat more than you require. simple as pie.