Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Windows 7 updating problem

Hey!

I bought a new computer a few days ago and built it myself. Being my first computer that I actually build myself I got a help from an online friend where I showed him what I did on a webcam and he guided me through it step by step.
    None the less, I got everything working and I waited for my OS to arrive in the mail after being sent late from the site I ordered it from.
    I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (OEM) on my SSD harddrive and everything was fine until I logged on the computer and installed all the hardware's drivers. After I did that I noticed that I couldn't find my 1TB HDD. So I asked another friend for help and he told me to create a "new volume" of the 1TB HDD and then to format it, and so I did.
    But me being a somewhat of a noob when it comes to computer thought my the information I had been told if I changed the harddrivers cables ports on my Mobo that I would also change which one was the C (Maindrive). But it didn't work and I quickly changed back after trying.
    I then proceeded to download an anti-virus system (Due to the fact that I hate not having any protection on the computer even tho I wouldn't surf on it for a while).
    I installed it and then spoke to the friend who helped me build the computer and he said that I should have installed the Windows 7 update first. I uninstalled the anti-virus program and started to update. (Here come the important part) I came to 28/56 important updates then I got a blue screen saying that Windows have shut down to protect from damage. It rebooted and everything was fine. I tried to go into my harddrive to remove any left over files from the anti-virus but I got a blue screen again.
    After that Windows got stuck and booting and I waited for a good 10 minutes before I closed the computer and booted it again and everything was fine. I started the update and I got stuck at 30 and got a blue screen.
    I spoke to my friend, he told me to reinstall Windows and I did without problems. I installed all hardware drivers then to update windows and it crashed again with a blue screen. I kept on trying but it didn't work.
    I then took out the SSD and installed windows on the 1TB HDD without any problems. Hardware drivers no problem, but when I updated it got stuck and I got a blue screen.

If you have actually read all the way to this I admire your will to help others =)
    Is there anything I can do about this? I didn't order Windows 7 and the computer parts from the same site they will most likely blame eachother unless I find out which part is the broken one.

Deleted
    Sounds like a hard drive problem to my limited knowledge.

What SSD was it?

You need to reference the specific BCCode form the bluescreen, and possibly the minidump for anyone to be able to figure anything out.
    Moonkin maybe looking for raiding guild.
    Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Abit IP35 Pro | 8GB DDR2 | XFX GTX 260 | Crucial C300 128GB | Asus Xonar STX | Corsair 550VX | Dell U3011 | IBM Model M | Razer Naga

Quote Originally Posted by pwagen View Post
    Sounds like a hard drive problem to my limited knowledge.

What SSD was it?
    Also happened on his regular HDD.

@OP Are you 100% sure every component and cable is plugged in all the way. This may sometimes require more effort than you're initially willing to give.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Also happened on his regular HDD.
    Indeed, I involuntarily stopped reading after "on the 1TB HDD without any problems". I should go to bed. :P

Yup everything is plugged in all the way.

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 10:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Havermeyer View Post
    You need to reference the specific BCCode form the bluescreen, and possibly the minidump for anyone to be able to figure anything out.
    I did take a picture on the screen with my camera that I can upload I suppose if it's needed. Or I can just type down the info that's needed.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakEyy View Post
    Yup everything is plugged in all the way.

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 10:04 PM ----------

I did take a picture on the screen with my camera that I can upload I suppose if it's needed. Or I can just type down the info that's needed.
    Do that, every bit of info is welcome to solve problems like this.
    Blue screen is the most random error there is for Windows.

This may or may not be helpful, but this reminds me of a similar experience I had...twice!
    My old computer would regularly freeze (specially when playing games) and reboot...and sometimes also give blue screens at random moments. I could never really figure out what it was, so I started to experiment. After removing some RAM, computer hardly ever froze, but I still never really found out what it was.

Fast forward a bit and I bought a new computer that I also built myself. Thinking that everything was new and fresh I was confident that at least this time there would be no problems. I installed Windows fine and when I started copying data from my old HDDs to the new ones, I got random blue screen. I rebooted then tried again...got another random blue screen...
    Long story short, in my case at least the cause was Memory settings in the BIOS, so I had to enter the BIOS and change the voltage and enter the CL numbers that you'll find on the Stickers on the memory units. After doing this, my computer has been super-stable since 2007!

TLDR - You might want to check your memory settings in your BIOS setup, to make sure they match the numbers on the sticker on the memory units themselves. And even more importantly make sure they are running at the correct voltage, which was the basis of my blue screen issues.

And like I said, this might not be a solution at all, but when I read "new computer" and "blue screen" it just reminded me of my own experience.
    Also, after going back to the old computer and doing the same with it, it was also working flawlessly.
    Last edited by Deathspank; 2011-06-10 at 10:15 PM.

All I got from the picture that seems to be of value is: *** Stop: 0x0000007E

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deathspank View Post
    This may or may not be helpful, but this reminds me of a similar experience I had...twice!
    My old computer would regularly freeze (specially when playing games) and reboot...and sometimes also give blue screens at random moments. I could never really figure out what it was, so I started to experiment. After removing some RAM, computer hardly ever froze, but I still never really found out what it was.

Fast forward a bit and I bought a new computer that I also built myself. Thinking that everything was new and fresh I was confident that at least this time there would be no problems. I installed Windows fine and when I started copying data from my old HDDs to the new ones, I got random blue screen. I rebooted then tried again...got another random blue screen...
    Long story short, in my case at least the cause was Memory settings in the BIOS, so I had to enter the BIOS and change the voltage and enter the CL numbers that you'll find on the Stickers on the memory units. After doing this, my computer has been super-stable since 2007!

TLDR - You might want to check your memory settings in your BIOS setup, to make sure they match the numbers on the sticker on the memory units themselves. And even more importantly make sure they are running at the correct voltage, which was the basis of my blue screen issues.

And like I said, this might not be a solution at all, but when I read "new computer" and "blue screen" it just reminded me of my own experience.
    Also, after going back to the old computer and doing the same with it, it was also working flawlessly.
    I'll look into that!

All I got from the picture that seems to be of value is: *** Stop: 0x0000007E
    STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804E518E, 0xFC938104, 0xFC937E04)
    SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

WUSB54GCx86.sys- Address 92D89498 base at 92D7c000, Datestamp 45c04cc9
    Anything else in there, in my example "WUSB54GCx86.sys" is the file actually causing the problems.

Deleted
    that sounds like a memory problem. i remember having a similar problem on my old laptop. i once was a bit rough with it and i think i damaged a RAM stick. i suggest running a memtest to find the faulty stick, then replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Anything else in there, in my example "WUSB54GCx86.sys" is the file actually causing the problems.
    Nothing like that. There is more (0xFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800031CA282, 0xFFFFF88031BDA (picture got cut off...) , xFFFFF880031BD260)

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 10:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    that sounds like a memory problem. i remember having a similar problem on my old laptop. i once was a bit rough with it and i think i damaged a RAM stick. i suggest running a memtest to find the faulty stick, then replace it.
    How would I go about doing a memory test?

Nothing like that. There is more (0xFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800031CA282, 0xFFFFF88031BDA (picture got cut off...) , xFFFFF880031BD260)

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 10:39 PM ----------

How would I go about doing a memory test?

Aw.. That error is annoying to find the source of.....

For memory testing: memtest.org

Just a problem. Can't really save anything on my harddrive without it crashing. And I don't have the programs needed to use it, it seems like (WinRar).

Can't run memtest from the OS anyway.
    Dowload via this link, burn it to a dvd and boot from that dvd.
    Actually, don't burn the .zip file, burn the .iso in there.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-06-10 at 10:57 PM.

Right, will do.

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 11:09 PM ----------

Also, here is the computer specc.

COOLER MASTER MIDITOWER 690 II ADVANCED ATX BLACK
    GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 560 TI OC 1GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI
    ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 P67 S-1155 ATX
    CORSAIR TX 650W V2 ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V PSU
    INTEL CORE I5 2500K 3.30GHZ 6MB S-1155
    COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 PLUS S-1155/1156/1366/AM3
    CORSAIR FORCE SERIES 3 2.5" 120GB SSD MLC
    LG DVD±R/RW/RAM DL 22X SATA BULK BLACK
    GEIL RAM Gaming EVO TWO 2 x 4 GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10660 CL7 (GET38GB1333C7DC)
    WESTERN DIGITAL HARDDRIVE 3,5" CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX - 1 TB - 7200 RPM - 64 MB - SATA-600

Let it run for an hour or 5-6 and see what happens

Are you installing your (newest) chipset drivers? Have you updated your BIOS? 7E SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED is usually a bad (missing) driver or a BIOS problem.

I usually go: Windows 7 (with the Intel RST drivers on a USB "floppy") -> Intel chipset drivers -> Intel RST GUI thing -> graphics drivers -> NIC drivers -> sound drivers -> Windows update -> everything else. I'd wipe it out and start again.

Make sure you're in AHCI mode for the SATA controller, too (in the BIOS; something that should be done before installing, though it can usually be changed after). Your SSD should like that best (i.e. fastest). Make sure it has its current firmware, too.

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 07:16 PM ----------

IMPORTANT: read this in regards to your SSD: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95688
    Moonkin maybe looking for raiding guild.
    Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Abit IP35 Pro | 8GB DDR2 | XFX GTX 260 | Crucial C300 128GB | Asus Xonar STX | Corsair 550VX | Dell U3011 | IBM Model M | Razer Naga

Alright I got the update to work and the computer was stable so I could install and play a game.
    But I had Windows 7 installed on the 1TB HDD and I wanted it on the SSD so I formated the SSD then to turn the computer off and take out the 1TB HDD.
    I booted the computer that now had no windows 7 installed, with the Windows 7 disc in the computer but it wouldn't boot windows from the disc. All it said was "BOOTMGR missing" Press alt-ctrl-delete to reboot.

What should I do now? Everything was fine until I tried to install windows 7 on the ssd again.

Deleted
    Right, will do.[COLOR="red"]
    CORSAIR FORCE SERIES 3 2.5" 120GB SSD MLC
    I knew it!!!
    *does a little victory dance*

As DarkXale said, Force Series 3 have been recalled. Look here for more info:
    http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95825