Thread: PC shuts down

10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation PC shuts down

Hi! I have this old pc(about 5-6years) and lately(2-3days) it keeps shutting itself down for no reason... it's not high temps, I checked and it never goes above 50CPU temp, 55GPU temo... and system temp is around 50-60 tops... it just shuts down... no error, no blue screen, and not only when I try to play something either... it happened while I tried to turn the pc on and the windows just finished booting, it also happened while I tried to re-install windows. At first I thought some of the connectors from the PSU to the Motherboard had moved as that happened before and did this... but it isn't the case I checked and double checked. I re-applied thermal paste to my CPU just in case, I also cleaned the video card and PSU of dust... I just don't know what it could be...
    Spec:
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ CPU at 2.4ghz
    2x1gb DDR2
    M2N-TVM mainboard(made by Packard Bell)
    nVidia GeFoce 9800GT 1gb memory w/ 256 bits bus width green edition from Gainward
    450W Powerlink LPK2-30 PSU
    Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit OS

Go to your event viewer.
    Check why you're shutting down
    hi there

10+ Year Old Account
    Your power supply is probably failing. /yawn
    5-6 year old systems tend to do that, especially with no name cheap power supplies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Your power supply is probably failing. /yawn
    5-6 year old systems tend to do that, especially with no name cheap power supplies.
    I think that too weird tho that I just tried playing SC2 now and I played 2 maps w/o any problems... before it used to crash in the first 2 minutes...

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would check the event viewer, it may be a failing psu and possibly it's just detecting the temps incorrectly as a result.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard