Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slizardxoxo View Post
    Why need 100 professions when u can make 1million gold with only 1?
    It's what's happened over the years. Professions help me level up, as it gives something else to do rather than mindless questing or instancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxiye View Post
    I've been considering dropping Engineering and Jewelcrafting on my DK (452 JC, 496 Eng) and pick up two other professions, as it's my only character with 310% mount speed (got it in WoLK). Considering pure income, would this be a good idea? Let's say I get Skinning and Inscription, would the course from 1-525 make me enough money to make it worth it, or should I be focusing on the characters with decent professions already? (Enchanting/Tailoring/JC/Alch)
    We get 10 character slots (20 profession slots) per servers with a total of 11 possible professions (excluding fishing/cooking/FA/arch) so you want to try maximize those profession and character slots if you want to get the most out of gold.

Alchemy is always good to have multiple of. Either multiple transmute spec for truegold/similar daily transmutes, or to have 1 of every spec.
    Jewelcrafting is also another good profession to have 2 or more of due to the daily limitation to obtaining the JC cuts from tokens. If when Blizzard eventually does add epic gems into the game and the designs are obtained from doing JC dailies (most probably different dailies with different tokens to the current system inplace) then the more dailies you can do, the quicker you can get more design cuts over your competitors.

I got a bit sidetracked there, but you don't want to be dropping any professions until you have enough gold to make it worthwhile and to make re-leveling them up ASAP cost very little compared to your total gold.

The most popular advice most experienced gold makers give is that you should never drop a profession in favor of another unless you have enough gold to do so. Rather level up a new character and put the new profession on that character.

Besides, if you follow this thread's guide + my advice in the previous post, you will have more than enough gold to buy 310% mount speed on ALL your characters

P.S. We have thread on our forums titled "What Professions do you have, Mr. Goldmaker?" where over 73 people have voted on what professions they have (with a max of 10 options so Herbalism/Mining/Skinning were listed as ONE option). It still didn't come out top over other individual professions. So Gathering professions isn't everything.

Last edited by Sinshroud; 2011-06-14 at 02:31 PM.

Moderator and contributor for The Consortium, a legitimate gold making discussion community that is also the home base for the TradeSkillMaster addon, and The Undermine Journal and WoWuction Web Applications.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very in-depth guide, props. But if you are dead broke in WoW today, it means either you are a lazy ass or you just began to play WoW. If you are the lazy ass, what will make the lazy ass start and read this guide and doing the things mentioned in this guide?

Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    Very in-depth guide, props. But if you are dead broke in WoW today, it means either you are a lazy ass or you just began to play WoW. If you are the lazy ass, what will make the lazy ass start and read this guide and doing the things mentioned in this guide?
    Sometimes people just need a bit of inspiration or some friendly help to get themselves going. It happens all over in real life, overweight and unhealthy people turning their lives around and becoming fitness models and health experts.
    People find new passions every day, life is a journey. Just because you like certain things today or act a certain way doesn't mean you can't change in the future.

Moderator and contributor for The Consortium, a legitimate gold making discussion community that is also the home base for the TradeSkillMaster addon, and The Undermine Journal and WoWuction Web Applications.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinshroud View Post
    We get 10 character slots (20 profession slots) per servers with a total of 11 possible professions (excluding fishing/cooking/FA/arch) so you want to try maximize those profession and character slots if you want to get the most out of gold.

Alchemy is always good to have multiple of. Either multiple transmute spec for truegold/similar daily transmutes, or to have 1 of every spec.
    Jewelcrafting is also another good profession to have 2 or more of due to the daily limitation to obtaining the JC cuts from tokens. If when Blizzard eventually does add epic gems into the game and the designs are obtained from doing JC dailies (most probably different dailies with different tokens to the current system inplace) then the more dailies you can do, the quicker you can get more design cuts over your competitors.

I got a bit sidetracked there, but you don't want to be dropping any professions until you have enough gold to make it worthwhile and to make re-leveling them up ASAP cost very little compared to your total gold.

The most popular advice most experienced gold makers give is that you should never drop a profession in favor of another unless you have enough gold to do so. Rather level up a new character and put the new profession on that character.

Besides, if you follow this thread's guide + my advice in the previous post, you will have more than enough gold to buy 310% mount speed on ALL your characters

P.S. We have thread on our forums titled "What Professions do you have, Mr. Goldmaker?" where over 73 people have voted on what professions they have (with a max of 10 options so Herbalism/Mining/Skinning were listed as ONE option). It still didn't come out top over other individual professions. So Gathering professions isn't everything.

Thank you very much. I owe you.

Seriously, you deserve a prize. Thank you.

You are welcome again.

One of the biggest things about making gold is being able to plan what you are doing and what you need to do. Setting goals and preparing for / predicting upcoming changes. Also not being caught off guard when a potential gold mine appears (aka truegold price inflating with the new patch, you want to be able to transmute them yourself).

A good example of not being caught off guard is when patch 4.2 comes out, there will be new dailies available to do in Hyjal which effectively allow you to unlock the profession vendors that sell new plans/schematics/patterns.

Yeah sure you are looking forward to doing the dailies, but will you be amongst the uninformed bunch that actually can't do the dailies yet because you haven't completed the current pre-quests? (Unlocking Patch 4.2 New Hyjal Dailies) If so then you will get stuck with a HUGE amount of people fighting to complete the normal quests in Hyjal which have been toned down since the expansion release and are not designed for a massive amount of people doing them at the same time.

I have several hundred thousand gold (by buying and reselling BOE items/mounts) so I am not here to thank you..

My cousin is poor as hell in WoW and is extremely lazy when it comes to making gold, he doesn't have enough gold to start buying BOE's and reselling them (like I do) and he cannot be bothered farming or doing dailies.

I've given him links to gold guides and even linked him this thread, he just flat out refuses to read all of that information and I am pretty sure he doesn't even understand 99% of it anyway.

Sorry but the only people I see reading and actually understanding your guide is people who already have tons of gold (and are interested in the subject) and just want to know a little more information on gold making that they might not already know.

If someone like my cousin is too lazy/doesn't care enough but just wants gold, they're not going to read a guide like this. Especially with addon usage...a new player is going to be confused by all of that. You might want to try using no mods at all when trying to teach new players because chances are they're using a default UI and will be confused as hell when they see an AH addon.

Just saying...it's just too much information for a new/noob/lazy/justwantsquickgold player who's looking to make gold. You need to simplify this guide for the masses because right now only someone who actually knows what they're doing will understand it lol.

That's the same logic as saying that schools need to reduce the amount of material they teach at school so there is less to study, or lower the pass marks because people are too lazy to actually put in effort and study.

I strongly disagree with you when you say that this guide is only useful to people who already have a ton of gold. It's been proven in this thread already that it has helped people and they have said so too. The fact is that making gold (like a lot of things in life) actually require a bit of effort to achieve.

For example take a look at Sterling who wrote this guide:
    • The sheer amount of time it takes to write a guide like this, reflects in his success to make gold. He has patience and puts in effort.
    • If your cousin can't put in a fraction of enough effort to simply READ a threadlike this (let alone write one), then honestly he has no hope at making gold.

Blizzard has already dumbed down the game so much and made is absolutely ridiculously easy to make gold compared to when it first came out - it just takes a tiny bit of effort and logic, and maybe a bit of a resource such as this guide.

Some people aren't suited to certain things. Don't force him to do something he clearly doesn't want to do (such as making gold) because you will just ruin the game further for him. If you want to help him, find something he enjoys doing in wow and encourage him in that rather.
    Last edited by Sinshroud; 2011-06-14 at 06:33 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obese View Post
    I have several hundred thousand gold (by buying and reselling BOE items/mounts) so I am not here to thank you..

My cousin is poor as hell in WoW and is extremely lazy when it comes to making gold, he doesn't have enough gold to start buying BOE's and reselling them (like I do) and he cannot be bothered farming or doing dailies.

I've given him links to gold guides and even linked him this thread, he just flat out refuses to read all of that information and I am pretty sure he doesn't even understand 99% of it anyway.

Sorry but the only people I see reading and actually understanding your guide is people who already have tons of gold (and are interested in the subject) and just want to know a little more information on gold making that they might not already know.

If someone like my cousin is too lazy/doesn't care enough but just wants gold, they're not going to read a guide like this. Especially with addon usage...a new player is going to be confused by all of that. You might want to try using no mods at all when trying to teach new players because chances are they're using a default UI and will be confused as hell when they see an AH addon.

Just saying...it's just too much information for a new/noob/lazy/justwantsquickgold player who's looking to make gold. You need to simplify this guide for the masses because right now only someone who actually knows what they're doing will understand it lol.
    Let's see.. I've got about 1.5k gold in total -- TOTAL, and I have 5x level 85 characters. I'm very interested in guides like these, as I wouldn't be able to do anything unless I know the most effective way to do so. I can't go out and quest for the gold it gives, for example, because it just feels very pointless. I've already started doing a big part of this guide, using more logic than Auctioneer database since I've only been scanning for one day.

So, it's not only people who already have a lot of money and just wants some tips. I would even daresay it's mostly people with a small to mediocre amount of money who are ready to put some effort into it, as long as it's not simple grinding.

To be brutally honest, this guide is long, but easy to understand and is sectioned into clear steps on how to do it. If your cousin actually doesn't understand it, maybe what he actually needs is some English classes. I had no idea how to use Auctioneer (only been using Auctionator/ZeroAuctions) before I read this guide, and it explains the AddOn (among with a lot of other things) very clearly.
    Last edited by mmoc522dc42c8a; 2011-06-14 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    *humps leg* i love you

Deleted
    I have a really hard time understanding Auctioneer,ive had it a long time but never really used it..so i started to use it again today..and i wonder...its only useful after 2 weeks of scanning the AH ?

Quote Originally Posted by Syvala View Post
    I have a really hard time understanding Auctioneer,ive had it a long time but never really used it..so i started to use it again today..and i wonder...its only useful after 2 weeks of scanning the AH ?
    Auctioneer has a plethora of uses. It's very useful all the time, but its more RELIABLE if you have a bigger price database. Here is why:

• You scan the Auction House on monday and it sees the average price of obsidium ore currently on the AH is at 1 gold.
    • You scan the AH on tuesday and the average price of obsidium ore currently on the AH is at 5 gold.
    • You scan the AH on wednesday and the average price of obsidium ore currently on the AH is at 4 gold.

1+7+4 = 12.
    12 / 3 data entries = 4g.
    Therefore it lists the market price for Obsidium Ore at 4 gold.

But now lets say you scan only once on Thursday for the first time ever, and someone has bought out all the cheap obsidium ore and the cheapest is now at 20gold. It's going to tell you obsidium ore is worth 20 gold.

On Friday (when ore is back down to 6g each) you might run a resale scan on auctioneer which tries to find items that you can buy for what it thinks is low and resell for the normal price at a profit. It will tell you that the 6g ore is an absolute must have steal! But in reality it might even be above the normal average price, meaning you could end up making a loss.

Therefore the more data entries it has the more accurate the data is.

[Note:]Auctioneer actually uses a slightly more complicated algorithm for working out market prices, but that's the basics of it.

Deleted
    ah..ok thanks..guess ill have to wait then

Deleted
    I decided to start trying everything the guide had to offer, and at the very least setup all the search functions, and I got stuck at Snatch.
    Is there no way to add items I want Auctioneer to Snatch without actually having them in my inventory? I couldn't find anything about it in the Auctioneer FAQ you linked earlier.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't figure how i can add items to Snatch list?

So items you want to "snatch" must in be in auction house or how can you add snatch stuff without items being in AH?

To add an item to the snatch list that you don't have in your bags or isn't on the AH etc, search for it on www.wowhead.com and then click on the red "link" button on the left-ish side of the page.

This pops up a window with some code that looks something like this:

Code:
    /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("\124cffa335ee\124Hitem:67151:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0\124h[Reins of Poseidus]\124h\124r");
    Copy that and paste it into your chat box in wow. It will create the item link in your chatbox for you and you can then click that into the Snatch window.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and thanks to Sinshroud for taking care of the thread!

I've updated section 4.

Quote Originally Posted by HoX View Post
    I can't figure how i can add items to Snatch list?

So items you want to "snatch" must in be in auction house or how can you add snatch stuff without items being in AH?
    I'm surprised I actually forgot to include this in the guide. It's in there now.
    Stormspire.net - Your #1 source for everything WoW gold. Free and friendly forums.
    WoWProfessions.com: Alchemy | Blacksmithing | Enchanting | Engineering | Inscription | Jewelcrafting | Leatherworking | Tailoring | Mining

Deleted
    Thanks again to Sinshroud and Sterling, I'd give you both cookies, if that expression hasn't been used to death over and over already.

Hug?

Quote Originally Posted by Obese View Post

Sorry. I have ~20k gold, and recently rerolled to a new server. This guide helps me figure out Auctioneer and it is very useful.

You are flat fucking wrong. Thanks for your "opinion".

(BTW starting from a brand new server with a brand new toon with skinning/herbing to start and then playing the AH I've made over 2k gold already and Im not even level 30)

Thanks again for making this guide!