Volcano vs Int trinkets for Atonement Healing

DMC:Volcano vs Fall of Mortallity/Core of Ripeness

What are your thoughts/maths about this?

I think alot of people are getting confused about Atonment healing. It is not a dps spec, it is still a healing spec.As Atonment your number one priority is still to heal, not to just keep spaming smite and holy fire.
    Last edited by Nabstar; 2011-06-14 at 06:30 PM. Reason: I am a bad
    I am not bipolar. I am bi-winning. I win here, I win there. I am always winning. Duh

Hrm... maybe I should add to the Hit FAQ that AA priests don't need hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Nabstar View Post
    I think alot of people are getting confused about Atonment healing. It is not a dps spec, it is still a healing spec. The hit on it does nothing for you. You should be hit capped on smite and holy fire with the glyph. As Atonment your number one priority is still to heal, not to just keep spaming smite and holy fire.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but none of the trinkets listed have any hit on them...

Links:

DMC: Volcano
    Fall of Mortality
    Core of Ripeness

That said, go with FoM and CoR, as they have constant intellect vs proc'd intellect... generally speaking for healers constant spellpower > procs... especially when depending on the situation you may go through phases where you aren't smiting much (and therefor not proc'ing volcano)

Boy do i feel like a baddie. Forgot the spell hit is so high and my friend has everything reforged to hit. However the Volcano card does not outweight the base int from the other two trinkets.
    I am not bipolar. I am bi-winning. I win here, I win there. I am always winning. Duh

Now is this a question about healing throughput or about mana regen?

For throughput, yea, the Int trinkets are better since procs don't necessarily happen when you need them to. But for regen, I'm will to say if you time the Vocano procs to happen with Fiend/AA/Hymn/Rapture, you'd get more regen out of it then with reg healing trinkets.

I personally use pure my DPS trinkets to Atonement heal with, but I am not healing in heroic raids either.
    Last edited by Solia; 2011-06-14 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solia View Post
    For throughput, yea, the Int trinkets are better since procs don't necessarily happen when you need them to. But for regen, I'm will to say if you time the Vocano procs to happen with Fiend/AA/Hymn/Rapture, you'd get more regen out of it then with reg healing trinkets.
    Rapture ICD: 12 seconds (correct?)
    Volcano ICD: 45 seconds, lasts for 12.
    Archangel CD: 30 seconds, lasts for 18 seconds.

Time your Holy fire properly for the DoT and some Smite spam, and you have your mana regen and some stronger-than-usual healing off of it, not to mention an extra sweet shield on the tank (to make sure the bubble does pop).

You'd have to go boss fights ahead of time to make sure you can selectively proc this (check the timing for high damage mechanics), but it'd be viable for some fights. You just have to be really spot on with your timing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Power Torrent, Volcano and Theralion proc'ed, dots just refreshed. Everyone dies. Just a tank and a boss with around 200k hp. Everyone in vt yells "omg we failed omg omg" and you "don't worry amigos, my dots are steamrolling!". Boss dies while you'd say "Enjoy your loots" with a lot of purple awesomness spilling thru your voice. Just happend yesterday.

Seriously, i thought i'd reroll warlock for 4.2, but that was the sign that i'm purple inside and i can't reroll. never.

DMC: Volcano is mastery rating, not hit. Many dps reforge it to hit because it fills a great chunk of the hit cap that way. But base wise, it does not have any hit rating and an atonement healer would probably reforge it to haste (or maybe spirit? idk the specifics of atonement that well).

To answer your question, OP, as I understand it, Atonement healing uses very little mana while you are smiting/holy firing. With a decent proc rate (i.e. if you are smiting enough), DMC:V could be as much as 300 average intellect. That might put its total throughput higher than the other two trinkets, which have significant investment in pure regen. Most healers will tell you (and my limited healing experience this expansion agrees) that intellect procs are not very good because they often happen when not needed are are often on cooldown when needed most.

Your situation seems to be fairly unique, however, because I don't know of anyone who is actually attempting challenging content as an Atonement healer. I know some people take the talents, especially for 25p raids where healer downtime is more common and can even be coordinated. But they're only smiting maybe 25% of the time and only getting 15-20% total healing from atonement.

To get full use of the DMC:V, you would have to start smarting every time the proc came off internal cooldown and keep smiting until it procced again. I could see it being very powerful if you manage to time archangel with it. But its actual value would vary from fight to fight based on how much of the maximum uptime you achieved and how much it corresponded to periods of needed healing.

Casting Holy Fire on CD is more than enough to proc Volcano without having to Smite spam, due to it's high proc chance and being able to proc off each tick of Holy Fire's dot while maintaining Evangelism stacks.

As a side note: Since I can't test this out in-game atm, do healing trinkets proc off pure Atonement healing with Holy Fire and Smite? I'd assume not, but wanted to know for sure.
    Last edited by Solia; 2011-06-14 at 08:33 PM.

I use DMC: Volcano on fights where I can use atonement the whole time to very good results. I line up rapture and AT and fiend with the icd and end up being very very mana efficient with very high throughput. However, if I in a fight I cannot use atonement the whole time (ex Nefarian HC I can do my smite thing first phase but healing the kiter I find it to be too clunky in the last phase) I find int w/spirit proc trinkets to be better.
    [IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/9ia9vt.png