Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mind Sear damages its target?

When did this happen? now i can't cast it on the cc'd target to aoe around it....

It was with the last patch, an unannounced change. It's pretty useful other than the situation you mentioned though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Power Torrent, Volcano and Theralion proc'ed, dots just refreshed. Everyone dies. Just a tank and a boss with around 200k hp. Everyone in vt yells "omg we failed omg omg" and you "don't worry amigos, my dots are steamrolling!". Boss dies while you'd say "Enjoy your loots" with a lot of purple awesomness spilling thru your voice. Just happend yesterday.

Seriously, i thought i'd reroll warlock for 4.2, but that was the sign that i'm purple inside and i can't reroll. never.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuziza View Post
    It was with the last patch, an unannounced change. It's pretty useful other than the situation you mentioned though.
    well they should announce these things...... would be nice to know since the tool tip hasn't changed stating it hurts its target, thus breaking cc.

Is it really that big a deal, though? CC is so December.

Not really sure if it is intended as the tooltip still says it causes the damage around the target.

Is this true if you cast it on a friendly target?
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Nartalath View Post
    Is this true if you cast it on a friendly target?
    No, it will not damage the friendly target, just enemy targets.

Blizz kinda sucks at tooltips, probably because they have more important things to focus on. That or they intentionally write them that way so they're simple, even if it ignores certain mechanics.
    Power Torrent, Volcano and Theralion proc'ed, dots just refreshed. Everyone dies. Just a tank and a boss with around 200k hp. Everyone in vt yells "omg we failed omg omg" and you "don't worry amigos, my dots are steamrolling!". Boss dies while you'd say "Enjoy your loots" with a lot of purple awesomness spilling thru your voice. Just happend yesterday.

Seriously, i thought i'd reroll warlock for 4.2, but that was the sign that i'm purple inside and i can't reroll. never.

Technically a target is within 10 yards of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuziza View Post
    Blizz kinda sucks at tooltips, probably because they have more important things to focus on. That or they intentionally write them that way so they're simple, even if it ignores certain mechanics.
    This should be one of the tips when you log on. Or maybe "don't believe tooltips they like to deceive you"

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow didn't know this. No more targeting the tank to sear then!
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificate View Post
    Wow didn't know this. No more targeting the tank to sear then!
    Seconded. =/

Deleted
    Why not? The tank is not a hostile target but still a valid target for Mind Sear. Nothing's changed there. You only can't use it on a cc'ed mob anymore unless you intend to break it.

The tank would be a subpar target simply because your missing the dmg you could be doing directly to the target.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    The tank would be a subpar target simply because your missing the dmg you could be doing directly to the target.
    Wut? you're still doing the same amount to all enemy targets, assuming they're in range. Targeting the tank just means less target swapping in case the mind sear target dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutzer View Post
    Wut? you're still doing the same amount to all enemy targets, assuming they're in range. Targeting the tank just means less target swapping in case the mind sear target dies.
    Pretty much this.

Your Mind Sear Target means that you're losing out on DPS having to recast it. Your tank's the least likely to die, and the most likely to be in range of all of them. Tank wins.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Cataclysm Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Mind Sear damage has been doubled. In addition, it now causes damage to target if unfriendly, not just surrounding enemies. Can no longer be self-cast.

in the announced 4.1 patch notes if i'm not mistaken
    Last edited by un_known; 2011-06-15 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    Cataclysm Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Mind Sear damage has been doubled. In addition, it now causes damage to target if unfriendly, not just surrounding enemies. Can no longer be self-cast.

in the announced 4.1 patch notes if i'm not mistaken
    Yet, not in the patch notes themselves...http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/pat.../4-1-0#priests

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Pretty much this.

Your Mind Sear Target means that you're losing out on DPS having to recast it. Your tank's the least likely to die, and the most likely to be in range of all of them. Tank wins.
    Tank doesn't always win. It's a balance between potentially switching mind sear target if your current target dies and putting it on a moving tank who is not always in the perfect position for aoe (not hitting all targets at once).

In the release notes (both before and during patch download), it wasn't added. They tossed it in as an afterthought when they realized they forgot a few things.