Deterrence use on Heroic Council

My guild has been working on heroic council the last couple weeks, with it being the last fight left in this tier we haven't downed yet, and I've been trying to find what all deterrence will save your ass from dying from. So far, from what I've seem, could be wrong, it doesn't save you from an exploding orb or having the wrong debuff. So I was wondering what all it will save your ass from, if anything

Deleted
    Why would you want to survive an orb anyway? If orb explodes half raid dies detterence or not. Same for the debuff, this is actually an encounter where you need to be able to adept to the mechanics instead of using spells to ignore them.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You do not, EVER save your self from that orb. Never let it explode on you as it destroys your entire raid and you get yelled at in addition people will point and laugh at you. You simply run away from that god dam thing until a fire patch comes <.<. If you truly wish for it to be useful, save it as as safelock if you don't get a tornado/grounding debuff in time for the sake of you not dying to the major spell they do that contradicts that certain debuff

Only two things I can think of, I don't play a Hunter so I'm not really sure.

Does Deterrance stop Fall Damage? If it does, if you get Gravity picked up in p3, it could save you. Or, if that doesn't work, try using it while Lava Seed is exploding.

Try using it during the Earthquakes if you don't have the levitate buff.

All it does is deflect the chain lightning (lightning rod and can't get out of raid? Fear not, dont let the lightning hit you and it wont jump!).
    Earthquake and thunder will hit through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azator View Post
    Why would you want to survive an orb anyway? If orb explodes half raid dies detterence or not. Same for the debuff, this is actually an encounter where you need to be able to adept to the mechanics instead of using spells to ignore them.
    To not die when they call a wipe. I always try to go feign in a corner so i can mass rez and some idiot blows up an orb killing everyone left.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    All it does is deflect the chain lightning (lightning rod and can't get out of raid? Fear not, dont let the lightning hit you and it wont jump!).
    Earthquake and thunder will hit through it.
    Didn't realise it would stop the lightning from jumping... I'm so doing this next raid to freak the group out :P

Quote Originally Posted by devboy View Post
    Didn't realise it would stop the lightning from jumping... I'm so doing this next raid to freak the group out :P
    Im not a houndred percent sure. I havent had to use it myself INSIDE a group yet, but I've done it to deflect the lightning when I had low hp, out of the raid - pretty sure it'll stop it from jumping, but don't do it unless neccessary .

Quote Originally Posted by Azator View Post
    Actually, after they introduced Spirit Link totem, exploding orbs is a very viable strat. We use it to pop the first orb, with everyone grouped up and you barely notice any damage with all those aoe heals + the totem. This makes subsequent orbs easier to kill since you will always have a fire up when the next orb spawns and another fire a few secs after giving you more choices as where to run. If you have other raid cds like Divine Guardian, you can pop more orbs and p2 becomes a joke.

Just killed this boss on heroic, and tested deterrence on various numbers of wipes. It doesnt save you from anything, even lightning in p3.

Feign Death works on the orbs though. If it's on you and you know you're going to fail, you can call out on vent and FD. It'll go to someone else. It should never be done though.

Finally killed it 45 minutes after raid was supposed to end. Apparently reasigning one of the 2 pally beakers that were on the tank to help on raid finally got us the kill : D

Deleted
    First of all. Congrats on your kill.

Second, I think deterrence works for mitigating the damage of glaciate. Besides that I do not know any other uses for it.