Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnicient View Post
    If everyone knows what you are referring to, what does it matter?
    I can call my penis my 'doodle' and people know what I'm referring to, but it's still silly.

It just sounds ridiculous.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TunderingAeacus View Post
    Well personally as a tank, I have problems with the adds during P3. I'm a warrior tank and other is a pally. Not exactly sure which is better for this phase.

As for the rest of my raid, Electrocute is a slight problem. WE seem to have most of the encounter down.
    If they aren't dying every 40-50 seconds, then the problem is likely with your ability to kite (no offense). You can kite the adds literally infinitely as a skilled warrior without them ever getting reset before death, even at 5 sec Shadowblaze.

If you're dying but the adds are dying too, then the problem is your healer needs to step up their game or get swapped with another healer from the Nef group. Even crackles shouldn't pose a challenge without a cooldown. You can easily precast heals to prevent quick post-crackle deaths.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Right, and the spell is called electrocute - it even has a cast time, and you can see the cast bar.

In that example, crackle is a verb; electricity is the noun. It still doesn't make sense.
    Except it makes perfect sense and doesn't matter at all. Crackle is obviously being used as a noun here to refer to a thing (the electricity that fills the room).

Google is a noun and a verb depending on how it's used and context.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moridius View Post
    My guild is also having issues with this encounter. Could some of you please give your experience with the adds in phase 1? Do you use a 3rd tank? Do you have people just CC them? etc.

We can typically get to Phase 2, but we have healers going OOM. One thing they didn't realize was that you didn't have to heal everyone up after an electrocute, so hopefully that will help.
    It will. Also, they need to learn to conserve mana. I can keep the Onyxia tank alive by myself SOLELY with Holy Light, Holy Shock, Judgement, Word of Glory, and cooldowns in Phase 1 (10-man). I transition into Phase 2 with 70-80% mana almost every attempt.

They need to learn to spam conservative spells (Healing Wave, etc) and then use expensive spells only when the tank is under half or right before a crackle.

We opted to go with rotating Nef around the room in P3. What should my relative position be to Nef during this phase?

We opted to go with rotating Nef around the room in P3. What should my relative position be to Nef during this phase?
    Why rotate? That is just a loss of DPS imo.

In P3, just tank Nef against the wall farthest from where the adds died. Everyone should stack up on top of each other for P3. If fire gets too close, have your raid run thru Nef and stand on the other side of him against the wall (don't fall off the ledge though).

Prot Warrior, Prot Paladin
    Holy Paladin, Holy Priest, Disc Priest
    DPS is selected from, MM Hunter, Fire Mage, Arcane Mage, Elemental Shaman x2, Frost DK
    In our raids we like to have as much class diversity as we can 2 priest 2 pallies and 2 shamans is a little much imo but its not a game breaker.

Druids are awesome for nef because of tranquility, even a resto shaman with healing rain and chain heal. I know holy priests are supposed to be pretty good aoe heals, I don't raid with one though. I imagine you should just place a light well in the center and if anyone has any trouble being topped off just have them click the light well.

Also if your paladins alternate their guardians for each crackle and the disc priest bubbling the group or even placing is big power word barrier on the raid that would help mitigate damage from crackles.

---------- Post added 2011-06-15 at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bikiniwax View Post
    Why rotate? That is just a loss of DPS imo.

In P3, just tank Nef against the wall farthest from where the adds died. Everyone should stack up on top of each other for P3. If fire gets too close, have your raid run thru Nef and stand on the other side of him against the wall (don't fall off the ledge though).
    How would rotating nef lose any more dps than having to move through nef to avoid fire? as melee I am then facing away from the hit box and have to rotate to hit nef.

Rotating nef is the easiest I've found and switching things up can often set a guild back a little bit and confuse people

We've become pretty good at rotating CDs during electrocute.
    Also we can switch Disc Priest --> Shadow Priest, Elemental Shaman --> Resto Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Moridius View Post
    My guild is also having issues with this encounter. Could some of you please give your experience with the adds in phase 1? Do you use a 3rd tank? Do you have people just CC them? etc.

We can typically get to Phase 2, but we have healers going OOM. One thing they didn't realize was that you didn't have to heal everyone up after an electrocute, so hopefully that will help.
    My guild uses a 3rd "tank" for the adds in phase one. We have a Frost DK pop into Blood Presence and kite/tank the adds with a hunter trap, and pally stun, and Hungering Cold. This can also be done with a warrior dps (defensive stance, pop on a 1h and shield) or a feral druid in bear form.

Once the FIRST add gets below 10 energy or so, STOP kiting, pop a CD or a stun, and let them all deactivate in one big pile for easier pickup in P3.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleisthanes View Post
    How would rotating nef lose any more dps than having to move through nef to avoid fire? as melee I am then facing away from the hit box and have to rotate to hit nef.

Rotating nef is the easiest I've found and switching things up can often set a guild back a little bit and confuse people
    If the tanks do it right, you can tank Nef so far away from the adds that the fire never sees them as a target so you never have to "avoid it".

Either way, rotating is fine.

MS PAINT TIEM!

The black circles are the three pillars. Guy in the center is Nefarian obviously. He's breathing grey breaths forward while being slowly rotated clockwise. You are the yellow circle over next to the adds (red circles) and your healer (blue circle). You will rotate clockwise as well. The Nefarian tank will move Nefarian faster or slower based on your speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    My guild uses a 3rd "tank" for the adds in phase one. We have a Frost DK pop into Blood Presence and kite/tank the adds with a hunter trap, and pally stun, and Hungering Cold. This can also be done with a warrior dps (defensive stance, pop on a 1h and shield) or a feral druid in bear form.

Once the FIRST add gets below 10 energy or so, STOP kiting, pop a CD or a stun, and let them all deactivate in one big pile for easier pickup in P3.
    If you have a Hunter, tenacity pets are absolutely broken on this fight. They're extremely overpowered. Use a turtle/beetle and a hunter to pick up every add with Misdirection (due to the glyph), and the turtle gets 40% more healing plus tons of cooldowns.

All the adds will die in the same spot 100% of the time and it requires no fancy kiting or skill at all.

May not work on heroic, I have no idea.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-06-15 at 07:10 PM.

We have two raid groups that have downed Nef. Group A did really well with typical strategies and group B did not.

Group B ended up using a strategy where they had 4 healers. It worked. Your tank just has to be on point in regard to when to run in Phase 3 without wasting too much space.

Thanks, and awesome Nef.
    I'll give it a try sometime this week. I will post after some attempts with these tips after I identify more issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a frost mage kiting the adds in phase one. Its really easy as long as you spec improved cone of cold. Pull each of the constructs to you with a frost bolt for two, get them in the middle, then DONT LET THEM MOVE. You have enough snares with RoF, CoC, Frost Nova, Freeze, Frost Barrier to keep them there till they die. You can Ice block through 3 crackles during the fight, and Ice Barrier before each one. it helps tons.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    If they aren't dying every 40-50 seconds, then the problem is likely with your ability to kite (no offense). You can kite the adds literally infinitely as a skilled warrior without them ever getting reset before death, even at 5 sec Shadowblaze.

If you're dying but the adds are dying too, then the problem is your healer needs to step up their game or get swapped with another healer from the Nef group. Even crackles shouldn't pose a challenge without a cooldown. You can easily precast heals to prevent quick post-crackle deaths.
    Ok I knew something was going wrong here. We keep getting Nef down to around 20%ish and my Add tank dies. The grp was giving me shit but the adds NEVER WENT DOWN. So I was healing a tank almost the whole P3 with adds hitting him the whole time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeTank View Post
    Ok I knew something was going wrong here. We keep getting Nef down to around 20%ish and my Add tank dies. The grp was giving me shit but the adds NEVER WENT DOWN. So I was healing a tank almost the whole P3 with adds hitting him the whole time.
    Yeah.. The adds HAVE to go down at least once in P3. If they don't there is no possible way to keep your add tank up. Getting the adds in a nice little circle at the end of P1 so they all get rezzed at the same time helps a lot so they all die at the same time. Get the tank to watch a video on how to kite them.. its not very intuitive
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeTank View Post
    Yeah, it's easy to blame the healer but it honestly isn't hard to heal at all if they are being tanked right and dying regularly. They should die at least once in Phase 3, perferably twice.

Yeah, it's easy to blame the healer but it honestly isn't hard to heal at all if they are being tanked right and dying regularly. They should die at least once in Phase 3, perferably twice.
    That would make my job so much easier! It's hard as crap to run with him in P3 and Heal with DL's (cuz he takes SO much dmg HL's just do not cut it). Funny part is I kept his ass up till the 20's every time, and once we got Nef down to 8% before the adds overwhelmed him and raped the raid. At that point I was spamming FoL, I ran outa mana and hit a Pot and hit FoL again but in the second gap for the Pot he died. Of coarse I got shit for not healing him, rofl.
    Even P1 Nef hits him so damn hard I have to use DL about 1/3 of the time, either you have way better gear then me or your tank has better gear then mine (DK tank).

MS PAINT TIEM!

Haha, I made one for my guild just like that.

First of all, Tol barad trinkets are incredibly overrated, especially on 10man its designed so that you can survive it with whatever abilities you have.

Secondly, don't go all mental trying to top people off after a cackle, top the tanks off fast and use effective heals to top the raid off, you've got 10% which is about 30-45 seconds ( never done 10man) of healing time, more then enough.

This may sound absolutely retarded, but the amount of wipes i've had by people not standing on the correct platform is immense, mark the platforms so that it's easy to recognize them.

In the end it all comes down to the kiting in phase 3, once your tank is familliar with that it's pretty much a cakewalk
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced

If the tanks do it right, you can tank Nef so far away from the adds that the fire never sees them as a target so you never have to "avoid it".

Either way, rotating is fine.

MS PAINT TIEM!

The black circles are the three pillars. Guy in the center is Nefarian obviously. He's breathing grey breaths forward while being slowly rotated clockwise. You are the yellow circle over next to the adds (red circles) and your healer (blue circle). You will rotate clockwise as well. The Nefarian tank will move Nefarian faster or slower based on your speed.

If you have a Hunter, tenacity pets are absolutely broken on this fight. They're extremely overpowered. Use a turtle/beetle and a hunter to pick up every add with Misdirection (due to the glyph), and the turtle gets 40% more healing plus tons of cooldowns.

All the adds will die in the same spot 100% of the time and it requires no fancy kiting or skill at all.

May not work on heroic, I have no idea.
    Just wanted to say thanks to those who replied in this thread, and to Simca for this quick paint diagram. My guild managed to take Nef down last night using the information found here. Thanks again!