Deleted

Aff/Destro PVE ..

I've played Destro for years now, and can play it very well, in a raid situation i can pull a steady 24-25k, when pushed i hit around 28k, (depending on trinket and general buffs) i kept gettin told that Destro was broken and that affliction was much better for Pve, so wednesday i respecced and went affliction for the reset, just to see what the dps was like on hc bosses compared to Destro, tbh.. my conclusion is Affliction just doesnt hit the dps destro is able to hit, im using the SB filler, as it critted and seemed to do more dps than the drain life filler (due to nerf) i was gettin around 18-20k dps, Why are people saying Affliction is so good in pve? yeah u can dot and move on the run, but in destro i could easily have done that dps with a conflag crit, not looking for people to tell me its a L2P issue, because i time everything right, every dot is never off the target, maybe id need more master to make my dots more powerful? jst looking for some help or advice on why people think aff is better?

Deleted
    personal opinion =|= truth

look at all logs in wol and u will see, that all in all destro lock dps can't be compared to affli dps!

you cannot argue with the numbers.. and the numbers say aff is better than destro.. you just have to learn aff if you want better dps

well I have the exact opposite - in Aff I pull way more DPS than in Destro spec. It's all up to your preference and playstyle. I've been affli for years and atm I can play it with closed eyes..

Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    well I have the exact opposite - in Aff I pull way more DPS than in Destro spec. It's all up to your preference and playstyle. I've been affli for years and atm I can play it with closed eyes..
    Of course you can spam 3 buttons with eyes closed?Anyway, affli is way easier than destro so just make some practise

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cattleclysm View Post
    Of course you can spam 3 buttons with eyes closed?Anyway, affli is way easier than destro so just make some practise
    Yeah, im sticking with it for 4.2, i admit, i do need practise, and im not giving up too early, the numbers say aff is better, but ive been so used to destro, TIME FOR A CHANGE Affliction is quite fun tbh, but yeah, cheers guys

Deleted
    I did a lot of reading EJ, warlocks den etc.... changed some of my addons etc.

I am not an affli master but I enjoy it more than destro, my numbers are improving a lot (better than my destro numbers).

Affli gets it's boost from efficient use of soul swap (when more than one target), recasting dots when u get a double proc from trinkets/enchants (if using BoD refresh after a tick), haunt should never drop off the target and dont forget to soulburn/drain life a lot... I also use fel flame more on movement to keep UA going while refreshing the ticks (again I try to make space to pause and cast haunt before it drops off) and use demon soul on every CD unless there's buff mechanic coming into play in which case you want to save it for then.

Best part is the <25% execute phase, cast Drain Soul ASAP and remember to refresh haunt and BoA/BoD - the numbers just grow and grow

I'd love to know if there are tricks that I am missing, the above are the rules I currently follow and I feel certain I have yet to 'peak' in this spec.

Hope this helps.

PS: Affli is not easier than destro, destro is as close to the term 'faceroll' as you can get for a warlock - although compared to Magi rotations this would be complicated
    Last edited by mmoc3b1dfad2aa; 2011-06-17 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cattleclysm View Post
    spam 3 buttons... that would be really-really bad affli. hehe

Lets count:
    - haunt
    - BoD
    - Corr
    - UA
    - CoE
    - SB
    - DS
    - FF (for T11 proc and on the move)
    - Shadowflame
    - Demonsoul (on CD or could be delayed if you know an uber buff is incoming)
    - SBurn/SoC
    - BoA
    - SS @target
    - SS @focus
    - SB @focus
    - LT
    - Summon Demon Portal (when moving out and need to return back)
    - Teleport Demon Portal
    - DL (situational after DL nerf)
    - Soulshatter (quite often when you SBurn/SoC+Shadowflame adds)
    - DI (when your previous DI target died)
    - Set focus (to change your focus during the fight when previous focus is dead)
    - 2x Summon Guardian (depending on fight)
    - SBurn+Summon pet (when pet dies) + Soullink if you do combat-resummon pet.
    - At least 3x buttons for pet control

From 4.2 you also want buttons for
    - BoA @focus
    - UA @focus
    - Corr @focus

plus fix your dot timer to watch them dots on your focus target as well.
    plus at some high buffs you want to recast some of your DoTs earlier.

All in all - if someone spams 3 buttons as affli with eyes closed - they do raid shittiest DPS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hrensgory View Post

Lets count:
    - haunt
    haha you're funny! You forgot to mention the complexity of using WASD! I mean, you need to move dont you... Dumbest breakdown of how affliction if harder than destro that I have ever heard. Most of the things you mention are bound to warlocks, not to any specific spec. Corruption is automatically refreshed (although in 4.2 it wont be possible to just use SS to keep it up on a second target) and... that's about it.. mentioning SBurn/SoC is silly, seeing as it's AoE. And also, multidotting is good? No shit, everyone uses focus macro, even destro (I know I do in both specs).

So yea, I agree, affliction sure does have very few buttons to press. But I like it

here is the thing - bad affliction have few buttons to press, good affliction have a lots of button to press, and that's what distinguish good affliction from bad affliction (guess where are you apparently) hehe.
    And btw, my post had nothing about comparison of two specs i.e. try reading instead of making your own bad assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by Dainwork View Post
    haha you're funny! You forgot to mention the complexity of using WASD! I mean, you need to move dont you... Dumbest breakdown of how affliction if harder than destro that I have ever heard. Most of the things you mention are bound to warlocks, not to any specific spec. Corruption is automatically refreshed (although in 4.2 it wont be possible to just use SS to keep it up on a second target) and... that's about it.. mentioning SBurn/SoC is silly, seeing as it's AoE. And also, multidotting is good? No shit, everyone uses focus macro, even destro (I know I do in both specs).

So yea, I agree, affliction sure does have very few buttons to press. But I like it
    Clearly your reading level is on around the same level as your grammar, because if you had bothered to read the post correctly you would realise that the poster you quote was not comparing the difficulty of affliction and destruction. The original argument may have revolved around the difficulty of each spec, but the reply that you quote was merely stating that it is impossible to play affliction by spamming three buttons.

As for the OP, the reason for your discrepancies in dps should be self evident in the fact that you "respecced and went affliction for the reset, just to see what the dps was like".

Does the above sound like a player that is likely to be playing optimally in every situation? I'll give you some credit in that you probably did do some research into how to play, but that doesn't make up for the months of experience you probably have from playing destruction. I can tell you now that there are situations you come into contact with that the MMO-Champion, Youtube and Elitistjerks guides just don't explain. There are medical facts, such as muscle memory, that you have built up over months of playing destro in order to not even have to think about what you're doing - and now suddenly you play a different spec and expect to play at the same level when it's simply not possible.

So, as for the simple explanation for your low dps, you were playing badly. There's nothing else to it, you weren't playing well enough to get the high numbers. The facts speak for themselves - you have gear capable of high dps when playing destro, and in most situations affliction is capable of higher numbers than destro, so the same should be true of yourself given an equal performance.

Tl;Dr One guy can't read and another can't play aff.
    Last edited by avengingbt; 2011-06-18 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrensgory View Post

Lets count...
    If you count every tiny little utilitarian thing every spec has to do, then they're all just as complicated. Once all the utilitarian crap is out of the way Affliction is mind-numbingly boring and easy now compared to Demonology and Destruction. 4 buttons for -normal- rotational play once Corruption has been set and forgotten.
    Last edited by Veyne; 2011-06-18 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    If you count every tiny little utilitarian thing every spec has to do, then they're all just as complicated. Once all the utilitarian crap is out of the way Affliction is mind-numbingly boring and easy now compared to Demonology and Destruction. 4 buttons for -normal- rotational play once Corruption has been set and forgotten.
    You're right in a sense, but all these extra little things do exist and play a big part in knowing how to play a spec, and how to play wow in general. To suggest you need to use 25 different buttons every fight would be a gross exaggeration, but to say that in order to play a boss encounter optimally all you have to do is throw your dots/debuffs at the start of the fight and then just spam 4 buttons is equally ridiculous. You state that that is the case for "normal" play, but what is normal play? There's nothing normal about a boss encounter where you just stand still and hit the boss for 5 minutes until it dies.
    Last edited by avengingbt; 2011-06-18 at 05:13 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think destro is harder than affliction. I kno as a decent destro warlock, multidotting with BoH is hard instead of having inhale/exhale ur dots like affliction.
    I track my backdraft procs so im almost casting my incinerates or chaos bolts under backdraft. (sometimes it always works out for me without having to waste GCDs)
    Casting ISF at just the right time so ur not wasting other spells and keeping the buff up at all time. Cutting down on movement so u can stand and nuke.
    Affliction used to be king of difficulty, but i used it for the first time the other day on Argaloth (yes single target, i kno it is a lil more difficult with multidotting and keep stacks up) and i pulled 24k with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evillocksp View Post
    I think destro is harder than affliction. I kno as a decent destro warlock, multidotting with BoH is hard instead of having inhale/exhale ur dots like affliction.
    Well it's not that hard. Just use some modifier when casting Immolate and Corruption @focus.

Quote Originally Posted by kataru View Post
    I've played Destro for years now, and can play it very well, in a raid situation i can pull a steady 24-25k, when pushed i hit around 28k, (depending on trinket and general buffs)
    Show WOL, or you are just making up random numbers

15+ Year Old Account
    I play both specs at a high level and affliction is better for most fights.

---------- Post added 2011-06-19 at 05:07 AM ----------

Ignorance..