Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Have you ever fought against one? No? Then shut your mouth.
    Seen them test that weapon on tv, the main problem they had was when parrying a sword like weapon often ended with losing a finger or two.

10+ Year Old Account
    On second thought from the Thread starting post, I do like staves.
    Rapiers too. Ah the joys of melee weapons.
    Last edited by Auxis; 2011-06-20 at 04:12 AM.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Probably some kind of poleaxe/polearm. Long reach and destructive power.
    Or a 2handed axe / warhammer / maul.

I'd like to be cool and say sword/katana but using one of those efficiently is pretty damn hard.

At first I wont have any skill in using any of these but.... some of them can be pretty devastating even without much skill as long as you have the power... and that I have!

Why would I waste months/years to train swinging my Katana so that I could chop of someones head in 1 stroke when I can just as easily crush it with a warhammer/maul?

I guess a heavy 2handed european sword might work as well. Something like a Zweihänder
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2011-06-20 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    Seen them test that weapon on tv, the main problem they had was when parrying a sword like weapon often ended with losing a finger or two.
    Yes, quite simple. Come down with a verticle slash, they have to bring the weapon up to counter. From there, you can shove down at the base of your sword and cause it to slide toward the ground, it would be easy to sever the person's hand holding a weapon like that.

an arm length mace, it would have spike edges and a spear like tip, not too heavy though since it is relatively short. any armor used against this mace would be utterly useless and anyone using a sword to defend themselves will find their sword completely shattered.
    the only bad side to it is its weight but with enough workout i should be able to wield it like a sword.

Why would a mace shatter a sword?

Quote Originally Posted by timbli View Post
    what about axes????
    If they're not in the law as illegal to carry - they're legal to carry.
    That's the beauty of the criminal codex - if it it isn't mentioned = it's legal.
    Otherwise the court could literally put you away for anything you do.

Deleted
    Bokutos

10/chars

Deleted
    the swords that are from japan china or w/e no idea if theres realy a name for em.U can see alot of em in anime

Quote Originally Posted by Xzard View Post
    Bokutos

10/chars
    You really can't get the job done with one of those.

And swords are messy.

How about:

http://eagleionline.com/files/2010/1...-injection.jpg or the aforementioned garroting wire?

Silent efficiency...

Deleted
    This bitch

oh.. and this

Last edited by mmoc494ea71a08; 2011-06-20 at 01:59 PM.

Deleted
    Nice choice with the warhammer, that would be my pick for an armoured target.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by erigor View Post
    an arm length mace, it would have spike edges and a spear like tip, not too heavy though since it is relatively short. any armor used against this mace would be utterly useless and anyone using a sword to defend themselves will find their sword completely shattered.
    the only bad side to it is its weight but with enough workout i should be able to wield it like a sword.
    They've mastered the proper mix of soft springy steel and hard steel quite the few centuries ago. Either a soft core with a welded skin, edge or layers of harder steel to hold a sharp edge to make a sword that can bend quite a lot before snapping or reaching a point where it won't return to original shape without permanent damage.

The video linked earlier with the "practice katana..." it's not aluminum, the blade shatters due being thoroughly heat treated mono-steel, likely of the wrong kind for the purpose, without further heat treatment to trade off some hardness for springiness. Like razor blades that hold an edge well and are made of rust resistant alloys, but shatter when bent. Katanas aren't some magical things either, they bend out of shape pretty easily as they have a relatively soft, shock absorbing back, while their hardened edge may crack and chip if handled poorly, ask any iaido practitioner with an authentic blade. Many imitation katanas made out of modern spring steel alloys, however, can bend 90 degrees and spring back straight. Cheap stainless steel wallhangers can't be heat treated the same way and are prone to shattering and chipping explosively when hitting hard objects.

Also, a kilo of steel in the form of a long slender blade is still a kilo of steel in the form of a spiked ball on a stick, or chained into a flail; maces generally aren't particularly heavy compared to similarly sized swords, on the contrary. Weapons evolved along with armor and were quite efficient in what they were intended for. Complete suits of armor were ridiculously expensive, but equally effective, and the kind of mail, scale, leather, and assorted scavenged plate armor on your average infantry soldier wasn't really effective against any melee weapon hurled directly against a soft spot. Reduced risk of lacerations and chance to glance off an indirect blow or preventing an arrow from penetrating lethally deep is all fine, but incapacitation through internal damage and broken bones, whether caused by a mace, hammer or a blade was more common than instant kills in any battlefield as vital organs were generally better protected. Call in the cavalry... either way, gunpowder kind of made the full body armor obsolete around 16th century onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    Why would I waste months/years to train swinging my Katana so that I could chop of someones head in 1 stroke when I can just as easily crush it with a warhammer/maul?
    These days it might be a null point, as a hobby perhaps? Iaido would be nice. Chances of survival kind of tend to increase against skilled foes; a samurai or someone trained in the arts of wielding a rapier, or a modern kendo practitioner with a real sword, a license and a reason to kill, would turn an inexperienced grunt into a pincushion, or perhaps they'd promptly lob off his arm and wonder why he even bothered trying, unless there's ten to one. Or maybe, it is often the poorly trained ones that are more of a danger to everyone around them, including themselves.

Apologies for the wall'o'text but boredom knows no bounds.

Cool

A Ninja Sword is always my favorite sword but Squall Gunblade Revolver Sword
    is also in my favorites list.

To gaze at in my living room a katana, to handle a zombie invasion definetly a machette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only weapon I've ever used in a fight so I quess it's my favorite weapon too..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puukko

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Broken piece of a bottle of beer. Yarrrr

Quote Originally Posted by swordskingdom3 View Post
    A Ninja Sword is always my favorite sword but Squall Gunblade Revolver Sword
    is also in my favorites list.
    Except Squall's sword is not a real life weapon you advertising necromancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I just say, holy shit this necro.
    I saw I posted in it, but I couldn't remember when I posted in it. Now knowing it's 9 years old, I know why I don't remember.

Not much has changed. I still prefer a non-bladed weapon such as a staff, baton, etc. Haven't fought in melee combat with a weapon, but I imagine having a simple blunt weapon to easily whack away with without having to worry about where it's edge is facing would be a plus in a dangerous situation. I'm also not really into causing grievous bodily harm, so causing minimal damage is easy with a non-blade.
    Having said that, I'm also partial to knives. Handy for gardening, handy work, trekking.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.