Liquid Diet healthy?

My uncle is on a liquid diet. I believe it is Slimfast that he is using.. He claimed that the lost about 10 pounds in three days.. It's hard to believe because he just sits in his chair all day.

Is a liquid diet a healthy way to lose weight? Any risks involved? Because if he is telling the truth about losing 10 pounds in 3 days.. That is about 20 pounds a week or about 100 pounds in 5 weeks..

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Longterm no. I haven't looked into really, but off the top of my head you'd be lacking certain macro/micronutrients(protein, fat, carbs, vitamins, minerals). I also doubt you'd stay satiated for long & eventually cave in & binge. It's probably water weight that he lost intially. I'd just try a regular diet consisting of mostly whole foods @ a calorie deficit.

The problem with things like this as a serious weight loss regiment is that they make you 'skinny-fat', meaning you'll eventually be thin-ish, but you'll still look terrible. If you aren't going to replace your fat with muscle (which causes you to burn more calories -- even just sitting around -- than fat), then you're still not going to be healthy if you're 'thin'.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    My uncle is on a liquid diet. I believe it is Slimfast that he is using.. He claimed that the lost about 10 pounds in three days.. It's hard to believe because he just sits in his chair all day.

Is a liquid diet a healthy way to lose weight? Any risks involved? Because if he is telling the truth about losing 10 pounds in 3 days.. That is about 20 pounds a week or about 100 pounds in 5 weeks..
    When losing weight you should try to lose no more than 2 pounds per week. A liquid diet is not a healthy alternative to a solid food diet. (Unless some other ilness bars you from in taking solid foods.)

The best way to lose weight will always be a healthy diet (varies on the individual) and healthy exercise.
    "More pewpew less QQ"

This post was merely a setback!

10+ Year Old Account
    You can technically blend all your food into a liquid, and that would probably be very healthy. But, Slimfast is probably not the way to go. Too good to be true. But, I doubt you'll get a professional opinion of the matter, on MMO-Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    The problem with things like this as a serious weight loss regiment is that they make you 'skinny-fat', meaning you'll eventually be thin-ish, but you'll still look terrible. If you aren't going to replace your fat with muscle (which causes you to burn more calories -- even just sitting around -- than fat), then you're still not going to be healthy if you're 'thin'.
    Thank you - someone else finally knows what skinny fat is
    I also hate the term "diet". Need to have a total life-style change ... good-luck lasting on this.
    you got me where you want me again and i can’t turn away
    i'm hanging by thread and i'm feelin’ like a fool
    i'm stuck here in-between, the shadows of my yesterday
    i want to get away, i need to get away
    now you know, yeah you got my back against the wall.

Deleted
    No it isn't. Your body has certain needs that can not be filled by just drinking (i.e. a certain amount of water) a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    yeah like others have said exercise and taking in whole foods at a calorie deficite is your best bet. my fiancee and i have been doing this and i have lost about 10 lbs now =)

Plus, a slim fast is what, 150 calories? They tell you just drink 3 a day, one each meal, and you'll lose weight! No kidding, you're taking in 450 calories if you do that, obviously you'll lose weight. Good luck with that though, it's a terrible idea.

This really depends on nutrient intake. Sure it can be healthy if you're getting all the nutrients and vitamins you need... But I shudder at the thought of ever taking in more than the sight of slim-fast.

It's like those poeple going out and exercising in those plastic suits in my mind. (i.e. a bad idea)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're really overweight, then time to try out Biggest Loser. Except.... don't go on the show, god it's over-dramatized. Just do what they do, and see a doctor+other professionals *REGULARLY*.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

these types of diets dont last. Although it works well at first, the weight loss will slow down exponentially the longer you are on the diet and most people will eventually gain the weight back. Changing your eating habits, proper exercise and dedication are the only ways to really obtain long term, healthy weight loss. A really good friend of mine lost 70 pounds in a year through sheer dieting and exercise. The exercise also helps tone your muscles and allows your skin to shrink at the same rate as shedding weight so that you dont get those nasty hanging "skin sacks" that are common with rapid extreme weight loss.