Shining in 5mans

Hi,As I have a limited time at night, I'm not gonna see much raiding. Therefore I'm limited to doing 5mans - both with friends and PuGs(oh the drama). And eventough they dont matter that much, I wanna master that aspect. I'm going with a Demo spec atm wow/en/character/the-maelstrom/Fuh/simple < cant post links yetI have macro'ed Demon Soul to Immolate, so that it is getting used on CD. I only use Meta on bossfights - but I dont know if it would be wiser to use it on CD aswell, having it on CD from time to time on bossfights? Would aff be a better spec, eventough it lacks AOE power compared to Demo? And would the felguard glyph be a DPS increase instead of Incin glyphs?I have read all the stickies, but they are more focused on raiding - thats why I'm making this thread.

For both 5 mans and raiding Demonology is a viable choice. GoFelguard isn't that great, Incinerate or Corruption would be better glyphs. Macro demon soul to metamorphosis, not Immolate. The Impending Doom talent will lower the the CD of Metamorphosis to about 2 minutes, same as demon soul.

Also, no character named Fuh exists on the maelstrom server... may want to change your "link" to reflect this.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalfenrir View Post
    Also, no character named Fuh exists on the maelstrom server... may want to change your "link" to reflect this.
    yes it does, make sure you're on EU armory

....not sure why I didn't check EU, my mistake. Off day I suppose

Personally I find demo to be a better spec for most heroics.

My lock is in a similar situation to yours in that it doesn't raid (not yet anyway, I'm looking into finding a raiding guild however it's very difficult having just recently moved to the US realms and have no real hardcore raiding experience since WoTLK). Anyway, my lock is in purely 5man gear and I find that as aff my dps on 5man bosses never really goes much above 20-21k unless there is a multi-dotting/aoe situation or we have a very good group as far as buffs are concerned. As demo I always have the 10% spellpower buff, which is obviously a huge boost, and with meta I can quite easily burst up into the high 20ks, sometimes even low 30ks at the start of the fight and providing the fight doesn't last too long it'll stay there. My highest single target dps on a 5man boss as demo was around 31k, which is absolutely unreachable as aff in my gear because it just doesn't have the burst to ever reach that number on one target.

Basically as demo because the bosses die quickly you can quite easily do some very impressive dps. If the fight lasts a lot longer (For example the totem boss in ZA takes a while) it'll drop down to more reasonable numbers, but because you have the 10% spellpower it's unlikely to drop much below the numbers you pull as affliction.

The other major bonus is the aoe. You spend most of your time in heroics just AOEing down trash, and demo aoe is just amazing.

There are a couple of situations where demo really does get frustrating, and those are the trash pulls that only involve a single target or two targets. You generally don't want to use your cooldowns on trash unless you know there isn't a boss for a while, so you don't usually have any of that burst that you see in boss encounters, which makes your dps seem rather weak. The other problem is that without soul swap, it takes a while to get your dps up and running on two targets. The felguard + felstorm definately can help on two target fights, but if the reason there are only two targets is that you're CC'ing the rest, it might not be the smartest move.