Deleted

Weight loss/toning up (With bad knees)

Ok so I'm 19 6"2 and I weigh around 204lbs I've just started back on my diet after my first surgery so i'm eating 4-5 times a day example of a days diet:

Breakfast: Special K with a small amount of low fat/sugar yoghurt.
    Lunch: Whole meal pasta and chicken or tuna.
    Dinner: Potato, peas and carrots, chicken/lean steak.
    snacks: Fruit and maybe a wholemeal pita bread with ham.

Ok so my problem is, I'm flat footed and was born with my knees in the wrong place so to speak they sit on the outside and on top of the thigh bone and it took the doctors 19 years to realise that so my left knee i've already had done is 10x better than what it was and now the wear and tear should being to mend over the next year in a few months time I will be having my right knee done aswell which means i wont be able to go to the gym for around a month after.

At the gym i used to run which is out of the question cause of my knees, but now i tend to replace running with cycling/X-trainer i went to the gym 5 times a week with going plenty of walks on the weekends, so Monday I would do My cycling 20-30 mins /X-trainer about 10-15 mins if my knees could handle it and also do some leg weights extensions etc, Tuesday I would do a 10 min warm up on the bike then i would do a lot of upper body weights dumbells etc, Wednesday i would do the same as Tuesday, Thursday I would do the same as Monday and Friday I would do some lower body work and some upper body to with ofc the 20 min bike warmup. I would try and spend 45-1 hour in the gym and after my right knee has been operated on i'm thinking of doing a 20-30 min swim after 3/5 gym sessions per week.

I don't know how much weight I should lose it's purely to help my knees in the long run i'm thinking if i can get down to 190-195lbs would be great but at the same time I need to know how to tone up.

Please if you have any experiences with an injury or any input you can share with helping me with my diet and also excersises/plans would be much appreciated, Thanks for your time

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Check out the "calculating macros/calories link in my sig. It'll help you determine how much to eat in order to lose weight. As for the knees, my left one is pretty messed. I just use the elliptical, keeps my feet planted & causes no issues.

I didn't have a knee injury but I had a back injury from playing hockey that I got around 17. I was about 180 and lean at the time (about 4% body fat). I wasn't able to run or play hockey anymore and slowly started gaining weight because of it, getting up to 220 after about 5 years. I went to a physical therapist and we went through a number of core strengthening exercises that would help my back. I've been doing those for a while now and while I didn't really lose weight from those, I could definitely feel the difference because those muscles started compensating for what my back would normally do, so there was a lot less pain. I know it isn't the same but you might benefit from seeing a PT, they can go through exercises you can do and maybe some that will strengthen you in ways that result in less strain being on your knees during every day activities.

For weight loss, I just decided to cut unnecessary calories wherever I could, and it took about 7 months to get back down to 180. I stopped drinking soda, stopped cooking with butter/oil, bought lite* everything, stopped eating fatty food in general, and drank a ton of water. I think I'm more thirsty than normal, so switching to water instead of soda/milk/juice alone reduced my caloric intake by about 600 a day. It was difficult at first but it only took about a month to get used to. I made sure I kept my protein and vitamin intake high via lean meat and vitamin rich cereal and other food. My body fat is higher than it was before but that will take longer without being able to do too many aerobic exercises.

I would keep the same eating schedule that you have an just monitor your caloric intake closely. There are a ton of calorie counting calculators online that will give you an approximation of how many calories you burn in a normal day with your inputs. As long as you're eating less than that, you will eventually lose weight.

*I've found that things classified as lite tend to be lower in fat and calories than things that are classified as low fat. You don't always have both options but yogurt definitely has both, and if you're doing low fat you might benefit from switching to lite.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikomei_TFC View Post
    Check out the "calculating macros/calories link in my sig. It'll help you determine how much to eat in order to lose weight. As for the knees, my left one is pretty messed. I just use the elliptical, keeps my feet planted & causes no issues.
    Imo this is the worst thing you could do to be honest.

I would never recommend counting calories or your macros unless you are at the peak where you would like to push further.

I for one do count my macros etc, but im also 5'10 176pounds @ 9-10% bodyfat.

Unless you are around that i would just recommend you stick to eating healthier than what you previously were. You'll notice the muscle gain/weight loss you want (by the sound of it) from doing just that.

Don't run yourself into the ground trying to understand Macro balances etc unless you're really pushing yourself.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftstryder View Post
    Imo this is the worst thing you could do to be honest.

I would never recommend counting calories or your macros unless you are at the peak where you would like to push further.

I for one do count my macros etc, but im also 5'10 176pounds @ 9-10% bodyfat.

Unless you are around that i would just recommend you stick to eating healthier than what you previously were. You'll notice the muscle gain/weight loss you want (by the sound of it) from doing just that.

Don't run yourself into the ground trying to understand Macro balances etc unless you're really pushing yourself.
    First of all, yeah everyone is entitled to their opinion. But worst? This should be the first thing one should do if their gonna take this journey seriously, diet > all(doesn't matter what way you look at it). Body composition has nothing to do with incorporating this. People wonder why they aren't losing weight. You can eat "healthy" & gain weight, at the end of the day it's calories in vs. calories out. Also, counting your calories/macros isn't hard. It's simple math, don't try to make it sound hard. If you want, just track calories.

i recommend chi running - it's a book on jogging the right way so you don't damage your body while doing it - there's also chi walking, if running is too much. check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Shikomei_TFC View Post
    First of all, yeah everyone is entitled to their opinion. But worst? This should be the first thing one should do if their gonna take this journey seriously, diet > all(doesn't matter what way you look at it). Body composition has nothing to do with incorporating this. People wonder why they aren't losing weight. You can eat "healthy" & gain weight, at the end of the day it's calories in vs. calories out. Also, counting your calories/macros isn't hard. It's simple math, don't try to make it sound hard. If you want, just track calories.
    It's not the fact that it isnt hard. It's the fact that it isn't needed.

Seriously lol if you are counting your calories and following your macros seriously if you're looking average. I don't say that in a cocky way either. Im just saying for someone who just wants to look swole or have decent mass and a lower BF, they should just stick to adjusting the diet here and there till it starts showing.

No that isnt the same as calorie counting. My definition of calorie counting is weighing the food, making sure the macros are bang on the dot.

If you aren't doing this then you're wasting your time worrying about calories too much.

You should replace that sugary-cereal "parfait" with oatmeal. Yes it is possible to make oatmeal edible if you hate it on its own!

Example of my breakfast this morning:

1/2 cup of cooked old-fashioned rolled oats (stay away from instant)
    Mix a teaspoon - teaspoon and a half of honey mixed in with the oatmeal and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
    Then add sliced banana, and some sliced fresh strawberries on top
    On top of the fruit, add a few spoonfuls of of greek yogurt and a spoonful of cottage cheese mixed together
    Then sprinkle some walnuts on the top

I also suggest omelettes for breakfast. Takes a few tries to get the flippy-over thing right, but after that it is pretty simple.
    I am heading to the gym now myself, so I can help with more yummy recipes later!
    you got me where you want me again and i can’t turn away
    i'm hanging by thread and i'm feelin’ like a fool
    i'm stuck here in-between, the shadows of my yesterday
    i want to get away, i need to get away
    now you know, yeah you got my back against the wall.

Yoga might also help if there is a good instructor in the area. It might not burn as many calories as an intense workout, but it helps you tone yourself, build up strength, and balance your muscle. A really useful thing my boyfriend used to lose weight was talk to a nutritionalist about how much he should be eating, then he downloaded a smart phone app to keep track of his calories for the day (that way it is always on you). Just by going to the gym for an hour 5 times a week and doing this, he was able to drop 40 pounds (and his hight blood pressure) in under a year.

One other trick is that you might want to set aside one day in the week where you let yourself have 1 or 2 things that might not be super healthy in small amounts to keep yourself sane, otherwise the temptation to cheat on your diet might become overwhelming.

If it is your thing, another way to lose weight is to try swimming or joining a community water polo group (if your knees permit it).
    Last edited by Lynlyn; 2011-06-21 at 02:38 AM.

If you're dead-set on doing cardio, then I would suggest the elliptical as well. It's a really great machine! However, cardio isn't the only way to tone up. I would suggest doing some lifting. Nothing too major, but I would try to work out your upper body first and then hit your lower body if its up to the task.

Cut out some of the carbs you eat, it sounds like you get a huge amount of carbs with every meal, there is no point in having that high a carb intake if you can't really exercise and burn them.

Fat on the other hand isn't as bad as some people claim it to be (even in this thread..) dietary fat and bodyfat is not the same, compensate some of the carbs with Nuts, legumes, and you can add healthy cooking oils into your cooking again.

What are your limitations while training? What can you do, and what can't you do?
    Last edited by Lushious; 2011-06-20 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Deleted
    I was an avid runner before I ran into (no pun intended) a knee injury. That left me unable to get my beloved cardio-high, and so I tried biking which eventually led me to spinning classes. Biking, jump rope training and using a classic balance board (not the ones on a roller, the ones with a fixed half-sphere on the bottom) helped me a lot and is what I would recommend.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftstryder View Post
    It's not the fact that it isnt hard. It's the fact that it isn't needed.

Seriously lol if you are counting your calories and following your macros seriously if you're looking average. I don't say that in a cocky way either. Im just saying for someone who just wants to look swole or have decent mass and a lower BF, they should just stick to adjusting the diet here and there till it starts showing.

No that isnt the same as calorie counting. My definition of calorie counting is weighing the food, making sure the macros are bang on the dot.

If you aren't doing this then you're wasting your time worrying about calories too much.
    Needed? Of course it isn't needed, but it makes things easier, & I'm sure people will be more satisfied with it in the long run.

Not everyone is trying to get the physique we're trying to achieve/have achieved, but that doesn't mean they can't start living better(that's just stupid to tell them it's wrong to do so). Yeah, they can eyeball it & adjust accordingly, or they can cut out the guess work & make it easier on themselves. What you're suggesting is just making it complicated.

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 10:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by backseattaxi View Post
    You should replace that sugary-cereal "parfait" with oatmeal. Yes it is possible to make oatmeal edible if you hate it on its own!

Mix a teaspoon - teaspoon and a half of honey mixed in with the oatmeal and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
    On top of the fruit, add a few spoonfuls of of greek yogurt and a spoonful of cottage cheese mixed together

I also suggest omelettes for breakfast. Takes a few tries to get the flippy-over thing right, but after that it is pretty simple.
    I am heading to the gym now myself, so I can help with more yummy recipes later!
    <3 greek yogurt. Like mixing it with my shakes, or toss some whey powder over it & mix it together for some thick cake like batter.
    Last edited by Shik Valentine; 2011-06-20 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backseattaxi View Post

Oh a similar thing that is really good is if you mix up the yogurt/cottage cheese (kinda optional)/dry oatmeal/honey then put it in a container in the fridge over night. In the morning, you just add fruit and it is a delicious bowl of awesome. You might want to add a bit less oatmeal than suggested there, and you can also add the fruit, or more conveniently, good frozen fruit (ie Trader Joes), the night before as well.

@ Lyn, I'll try that next time I make that actually.
    I have a hard time getting my calories in for the day so .. I just use 1/2 cup of oats.
    Whatever works for you Could probably use less
    you got me where you want me again and i can’t turn away
    i'm hanging by thread and i'm feelin’ like a fool
    i'm stuck here in-between, the shadows of my yesterday
    i want to get away, i need to get away
    now you know, yeah you got my back against the wall.

Got a great tip from an iPhone app. Try to make sure every meal you eat is 2/3rds veges or fruit. I've been following that along with generally just avoiding unhealthy food and not eating a lot at night. Done no exercise. Lost 7.4kgs since 19th April.
    Raaaa!

idk if this is the website to ask those questions.......but if you do want to train your knees and lose weight i would highly recommend p90x. The legs and back workout helped my knees get back into condition for football. I blew out my right knee 7 times before actually having surgery and i haven't blown it out since doing p90x and i still play football
    im 5ft 7 172 pounds around 7 % body fat. Also the yoga is really helpful for flexibility which also helps your knees and all your other ligaments in your body. Also i was born flatfooted and my sulkus (where my knee cap sits is higher then normal so my knees are more likely to dislocate) and im more likely to tear ligaments in my knees.

If your really want to get into shape follow the diet plan they have set out or semi-follow it and try to eat small meals 5x a day and that will also help a lot.

Also don't wear flat shoes wear shoes with and Arc
    Last edited by Deathtalk; 2011-06-21 at 03:04 AM.

I figured I would make an account and contribute to this thread as I just graduated from PT school last week!

Anyways, there has been some good advice in this thread. It is as easy as calories in vs calories out and your diet sounds a hell of a lot better than mine. As for trying to get your cardio in with bad knees, I would suggest swimming or water aerobics if you have access to a pool. It will offload your body weight and provide a full body workout. If swimming is still too difficult on your knees, try jogging against the resistance of the water. There will be minimal contact on your knees but it will get your heart pumping and a lot of muscles working.

My advice is still not as valuable as a therapist that is seeing you in person. They would have a better idea of what is going on and maybe even have tools to help improve your knees allowing you to return to higher function. I would just recommend not pushing your knees past their limit (especially after surgery) and end up taking 2 steps back. See a PT if you have access to one. We are good at finding muscles you have not used in years and as for core strengthening, enjoy your posterior pelvic tilts!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lushious View Post
    What are your limitations while training? What can you do, and what can't you do?
    I can do as much upper body as possible and some leg weights also to strengthen my knees, i can manage tops 30 mins on the bike before my knees start to give in and probs 15 mins tops on X-trainers, I can walk for well over an hour before my knees get any problems also.

---------- Post added 2011-06-21 at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Endup View Post
    I figured I would make an account and contribute to this thread as I just graduated from PT school last week!

Anyways, there has been some good advice in this thread. It is as easy as calories in vs calories out and your diet sounds a hell of a lot better than mine. As for trying to get your cardio in with bad knees, I would suggest swimming or water aerobics if you have access to a pool. It will offload your body weight and provide a full body workout. If swimming is still too difficult on your knees, try jogging against the resistance of the water. There will be minimal contact on your knees but it will get your heart pumping and a lot of muscles working.

My advice is still not as valuable as a therapist that is seeing you in person. They would have a better idea of what is going on and maybe even have tools to help improve your knees allowing you to return to higher function. I would just recommend not pushing your knees past their limit (especially after surgery) and end up taking 2 steps back. See a PT if you have access to one. We are good at finding muscles you have not used in years and as for core strengthening, enjoy your posterior pelvic tilts!
    Thanks for the info i will definitely try swimming again i tried it a month or so after surgery but my knee was just too weak, also going to try the jogging motion in the water thats an excellent idea and sounds like something I can do, Got my last check up with my PT and surgeon this Friday so hopefully my left knee is good and then on comes the surgery with the right.

everyone who posted thank you so much for all the info given it's really helping me change my eating and giving me a lot of new things to try to help strengthen up my knees thank you so much.