Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Finesse tanking?

what would you define as "finesse tanking" ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this guy has a Protection spec, so that would classify as "Finesse tanking".
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Well, this guy has a Protection spec, so that would classify as "Finesse tanking".
    Lulz, icwutudidthur!

OT: I think that any skilled tank could be described as having finesse. Basically, if they are able to execute pulls smoothly and pick up the mobs that need to be picked up, then keep aggro and/or taunt mobs that get away, all while properly utilizing cool-downs and not taking unnecessary damage, they are tanking with finesse.

Playing your role (in this case tanking) well shows a bit of finesse. A tank who can control the mobs he needs to, handle unexpected situations, and do an awesome job tanking has finesse. Like a healer who can heal like a boss or a dps who can do awesome shit, tanks can have finesse if they are good.
    It's not just me, it's ALL rets. Join the ret MS club, get bitches, get money, get nerfed.
    It takes idiots to do cool things. That's why they're cool.

You mean tanking exclusively by means of dexterous dodging and parrying instead of mitigation/absorption? I know many rogues desire their combat spec to be redesigned for 'finesse tanking', if that's what you mean. But that will never happen.

For me as a tank being my main toon, the real art that can make or break a good tank is the perfect pull.

Paladin for instance, a common pull is using Avenger's Shield...but its not always possible to hit your multiple targets because they are too far apart. Having the foresight and knowledge to taunt to one side or however is needed to get the mobs to get close together to allow you to hit them all with the shield toss.
    Regardless of people ever trying to rush you or give you the gogogogogo treatment, don't ever feel like you have to pull more than you can handle.

Same goes for a warrior charge or a swipe or a DK heart strike and dnd. Combine that with not breaking cc and you are reaching a finesse point.

Manage your survival CD's, proper kiting, along with add pickup, being able to move from dangerous poop that can kill you, and you have already taken care of the majority of tanking, much of threat and defense also comes with gear, so proper balancing and stacking of stats will set you apart from a good tank and a bad tank.
    "I heard Shadowmourne procs naked ladies..."
    The rapture took my paladin - May 21, 2011
    In a recent online survey, 100% of the population uses the internet.

Playing WoW with finesse is usually just doing it fluidly. A skilled tank, dps, or healer will always transition smoothly from pull to pull depending on the required ability and reaction. Adds coming to attack a healer? Players with finesse will quickly CC them or pick them up and just move on with their lives. People who lack this quality let the healer take a few hits and yell OMG ADDS.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

A tank from Finland :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    +1 internets to you

made me lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a screenshot of myself and my favorite bear off-tank discussing the merits of hot wings over wings tartar in /s during a boss fight. Multiple paragraphs worth of text.

That's finesse tanking.

Anyone who claims otherwise is an impostor and should be stripped of his tanking license.

Dixi.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Lulz, icwutudidthur!
    Yeah, it was trollish, but since the OP didn't really start any real conversation and I had no idea what he expected as an answer I figured I could at least be funny. Because really, what's "finesse tanking"? Is it tanking based on Parrying and Dodging? Is it tanking fluidly, whatever that means?

Quote Originally Posted by thermal View Post
    +1 internets to you

made me lol
    Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

me and my turtle o_O;;
    Sig by Populaire

Taunting the boss without a countdown and using all your cooldowns right away.
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by .Aen View Post
    Taunting the boss without a countdown and using all your cooldowns right away.
    That's pretty funny coming from a guy with the avatar of a class that is notorious for ninja pulling via MD and pets with aggressive mode/taunt on.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Yea that's my personal favorite >.>
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

Quote Originally Posted by Chowderman View Post
    For me as a tank being my main toon, the real art that can make or break a good tank is the perfect pull.

Paladin for instance, a common pull is using Avenger's Shield...but its not always possible to hit your multiple targets because they are too far apart. Having the foresight and knowledge to taunt to one side or however is needed to get the mobs to get close together to allow you to hit them all with the shield toss.
    Regardless of people ever trying to rush you or give you the gogogogogo treatment, don't ever feel like you have to pull more than you can handle.

Same goes for a warrior charge or a swipe or a DK heart strike and dnd. Combine that with not breaking cc and you are reaching a finesse point.

Manage your survival CD's, proper kiting, along with add pickup, being able to move from dangerous poop that can kill you, and you have already taken care of the majority of tanking, much of threat and defense also comes with gear, so proper balancing and stacking of stats will set you apart from a good tank and a bad tank.
    I used to MT in a competitive PvE, and I can tell you, this is the closest to accurate.

As a paladin tank in WotLK, doing things like pulling with Exo instead of AvS, so you could score your bounces, popping your HotR at the right time so it would chain across to that guy who DIDN'T get hit with your shield, and still slam all the others, even though they're still 20 feet from you, dropping your conc so the adds, not the ones you were focusing on, but the ones you didn't touch and were going for the healer, walk through it and spin back to you. Being the kind of tank when someone screams "OMG ADDS!" over vent, calmly replies "I know." and has them picked up before they've touched anyone else.

It's knowing your class inside and out, backwards and forwards, knowing the fights, where things spawn, how they move, where their glitches are (does this mob take 3 steps after I hit it or does it turn immediately?), knowing every minute where your group is, where your OT is, what shape he's in and what he's facing, and when he's overwhelmed and when YOU need to take over as OT because, frankly, the job of holding the boss is easier, while picking up the adds is a nightmare.

It's popping your CD's, not when you're only at low health, but also when you KNOW you're going to be hammered soon, but not popping them when you know your healer will pull you through and you'll need them in a minute, and doing it so seamlessly that the rest of the group never knew you did it, because you don't NEED a /yell macro with it.

It's control, it's instinct, it's forethought and intuition.

There are no metrics to go by, there are no numbers.

It's art.

When you see it, you never know it because it's done so well, you can't tell he's doing anything special and no one's complaining about the damage he's taking or his ability to handle aggro.

THAT is tanking with finesse.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread makes me want to remind people that tanking with finesse is all the more impressive when you don't spend too much time bragging with finesse.

Chill with the poetic self-promoting, guys.

A good tank is measured by his keeping his raid in control of the situation, we don't need any advertisements except a successfully downed boss.

If some people don't get that, it's their problem, not ours. We have ways to increase their repair bill in case they forget who keeps their ass safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendraeg View Post
    I used to MT in a competitive PvE, and I can tell you, this is the closest to accurate.

<snip>
    Pretty much exactly this, doing what you're supposed to do, no complaints, not troubles, just getting on with your job

And when your guilds healers are wanting you to do the roles and tank the dungeons/raids is a pretty rewarding feeling too