Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hot CPU, how to solve?

Hai

First of all, my computer is 2 years old. At the time i bought it, the specs were really good. Still good nowadays, but far from the best. My CPU is Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz.
    I haven't really changed anything in it (overclocking or something) since then, apart from changing the stock coolor on my ATI HD4890 to Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo, cause my GFX was also really hot. This change did help a alot though!

So my CPU gets really hot when playing almost any above average graphics game (GTA IV, WoW, Rift etc.) According to SIW, SpeedFan and CoreTemp i get the following temperatures (in celcius) on my CPU:

Idle: 55C +/-
    Load: 80-85C

Now, without being an expert at it, i believe this is a bit too high.
    Recently i've cleaned my fan+heatsink from dust and reapplied brand new thermal paste, so that shouldnt be a reason to the high temperature. I've looked at buying a new CPU Cooler (Air coolor that is, cba with liquid cooling). But my question is, if that's a waste, since my CPU isnt overclocked and I don't really plan on doing so? I know that it's necessary to buy a better cooler if you're gonna overclock your CPU, but to buy one without overclocking?

The one i've looked at is http://www.prolimatech.com/en/produc...?id=801&page=1 and then i would put 2 of these fans http://www.thermalright.com/products...at_id=16&id=97 on it, so that it looks like this http://www.webdanes.dk/images/00PT005-5-p.jpg (ofc with the linked fans instead). It might be a little bit expensive, but its no problem for me. Is this a good idea?

Also, I'm gonna change case soon. From Raidmax Smilodon to Antec Nine Hundred, simply because the airflow is better because of the big 200mm fan in the top of the Antec case. I could imagine that a better airflow would help on the CPU, but maybe not enough to get it to a decent temperature.
    And fyi, there's enough space for the Prolimatech Genesis in the case, so that's no problem.

Thanks!
    Rig:
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.0GHz | Corsair H100 | ASUS GTX670 2GB DirectCU II | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
    750W Corsair TX V2 | 1 TB WD Caviar Black | 120GB Corsair Force Series 3 | Cooler Master Storm Stryker

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you aren't hitting your maximum temperature, your temps really aren't relevant. I agree, those are high, but I'd wait to change your cooler until you get a new case, and see where your temps are there. (Unless you want to overclock.)

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Use RealTemp. Speed fan is known to be wrong(plus you could be looking at CPU instead of the Core temps, which are the important part on Speedfan).

Your temps are high, but what are the temps of the room your in? No amount of fans is going to keep it cooler than the room temp.

Also, you may have fans going out or aren't spinning up, did you accidentally change speed fan to not of the fans be on automatic control? The HSF could also not be seated properly on the cpu.

We don't really have any information on what temps they used to be so just throwing out some general ideas out there to cool it down. Just like Fuzzy said, as long as it's not maxing out on anything the temps don't matter too much, it's just putting out more heat. In some cases(like my smallish room its being kept in) running the computer can heat the entire room rather well so you need cooler air to compensate.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

When you repasted, what technique did you use and what brand of thermal paste?

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I'm surprised the temps are that high even with the stock cooler.

Switching coolers will probably solve your issue.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Honestly, I'm surprised the temps are that high even with the stock cooler.

Switching coolers will probably solve your issue.
    I'm guessing there might be bubbles or a slightly sub-optimal pasting job here

Or just really high ambients (Its like 90F here almost every day now X.x)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Use RealTemp. Speed fan is known to be wrong(plus you could be looking at CPU instead of the Core temps, which are the important part on Speedfan).
    RealTemp says the same, 55C +/-
    Your temps are high, but what are the temps of the room your in? No amount of fans is going to keep it cooler than the room temp.
    Tbh, i dont really know. I assume that my room is standard room temperature. BUT, i almost always have my window open, so theres always fresh cold air in my room.

Also, you may have fans going out or aren't spinning up, did you accidentally change speed fan to not of the fans be on automatic control? The HSF could also not be seated properly on the cpu.
    Well, SpeedFan is on automatic control if thats what you mean? And also my Heatsink and fan is properly seated, since theres only one way it can be seated. Plus, i tried to seat it, before applying new paste and that resulted in 100 degrees at idle.. lol

And i dont know my temperatures before, because i just recently (last half year) started to look my temps.

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    When you repasted, what technique did you use and what brand of thermal paste?
    It's Antec Formula 5. The technique i used may be rather.. primitive. I took an eraser to get the old paste off (i read that in the guide to apply new paste of my GFX) on both the cooler and CPU and then i used a matchstick to apply a thin layer of the paste on the cooler. Now i just found out that i should have applied the paste on the CPU, and not the cooler. Does this make a huge difference?
    Rig:
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.0GHz | Corsair H100 | ASUS GTX670 2GB DirectCU II | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
    750W Corsair TX V2 | 1 TB WD Caviar Black | 120GB Corsair Force Series 3 | Cooler Master Storm Stryker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakatoss View Post

Tbh, i dont really know. I assume that my room is standard room temperature. BUT, i almost always have my window open, so theres always fresh cold air in my room.

Well, SpeedFan is on automatic control if thats what you mean? And also my Heatsink and fan is properly seated, since theres only one way it can be seated. Plus, i tried to seat it, before applying new paste and that resulted in 100 degrees at idle.. lol

And i dont know my temperatures before, because i just recently (last half year) started to look my temps.

It's Antec Formula 5. The technique i used may be rather.. primitive. I took an eraser to get the old paste off (i read that in the guide to apply new paste of my GFX) and then i used a matchstick to apply a thin layer of the paste on the cooler. Now i just found out that i should have applied the paste of the CPU, and not the cooler. Does this make a huge difference?
    Not really if you properly applied it to the cooler's surface...

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wind chill effect. The wind may feel cold but if its 80 degree wind, it's going to be 80 degrees.

And also my Heatsink and fan is properly seated, since theres only one way it can be seated.
    Well I mean more that it's not sitting firmly on it or uneven pressure, in addition with paste issues such as.....

The technique i used may be rather.. primitive. I took an eraser to get the old paste off (i read that in the guide to apply new paste of my GFX) and then i used a matchstick to apply a thin layer of the paste on the cooler. Now i just found out that i should have applied the paste of the CPU, and not the cooler.
    Uh. Acetone + Qtip works wonders at removing paste. Less paste is better than too much, and always on the cpu. The only time you might put some on the heat sink is if you have those contact pipe ones, put a very minimal amount in between the pipe gaps.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Hai

Recently i've cleaned my fan+heatsink from dust and reapplied brand new thermal paste, so that shouldnt be a reason to the high temperature.
    You most likely put too much paste and the cooler is not making good contact with the CPU. Clean it again and reapply. Also, go to your local shop to buy a tube of Arctic Silver 5. Very good paste and cheap. Probably around $6-7 in a local computer shop.
    Last edited by Chocobar; 2011-06-21 at 03:53 PM.

It's Antec Formula 5. The technique i used may be rather.. primitive. I took an eraser to get the old paste off (i read that in the guide to apply new paste of my GFX) on both the cooler and CPU and then i used a matchstick to apply a thin layer of the paste on the cooler. Now i just found out that i should have applied the paste on the CPU, and not the cooler. Does this make a huge difference?
    Go again with alcohol to clean it fully

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

I recommend arctic silver

In my experience you have to do something monumentally poorly to really get the heat sink paste to inhibit cooling significantly. I think your issue lies elsewhere, but cleaning it up and such can't hurt.

Okay, so i just checked if i had seated the cooler correctly and it is. Cant be moved and there isnt any uneven pressure. And from what i read through some guides, I have applied a right amount of paste.

But enough paste. Does the temperatures matter that much? Would it be overkill to buy a better CPU cooler?

I think at least I'll change case and then see what the temps are, and if they're still "too high" i might buy a better a CPU cooler, if it's necessary.
    Rig:

The Arctic Silver 5 should be a great thermal paste. http://www.webdanes.dk/shop/arctic-silver-5-574p.html For the cheapest place to buy it here in DK

Okay, so i just checked if i had seated the cooler correctly and it is. Cant be moved and there isnt any uneven pressure. And from what i read through some guides, I have applied a right amount of paste.

But enough paste. Does the temperatures matter that much? Would it be overkill to buy a better CPU cooler?

I think at least I'll change case and then see what the temps are, and if they're still "too high" i might buy a better a CPU cooler, if it's necessary.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2009/02/26/intel-core-i7-temperatures/
    You might find this interesting/useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Hmm... that's actually very interesting.. 100C is the max, but 80C is what he recommends as max temperature.

I think I'll change case and then decide whether I want to buy a better cooler.

Thanks for your help guys! Really appreciated!
    Rig:

15+ Year Old Account
    TBH, reading this, I am very nervous about the way you applied the paste. By spreading it with something like a matchstick, you are increasing opportunities for impurities and even little pieces of wood in the paste (microscopic). Also, cleaning with an eraser? Get some 95% alcohol from the drug store, and clean it with that and a coffee filter.

Then, reapply with a 1/2 bb sized dot of thermal paste right on the center. press down, and twist very slightly on the heatsink when applying. The paste only need to cover the middle of the metal casing, as that is where the cores are located.

Minimalism is key with paste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestofiles View Post
    The Arctic Silver 5 should be a great thermal paste. http://www.webdanes.dk/shop/arctic-silver-5-574p.html For the cheapest place to buy it here in DK
    Indeed, one of the best if not THE best thermal paste out there. Its well worth the money, it may be few quid/dollars more expensive but don't be scared investing into a good product, it will be worth it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterspark View Post
    Indeed, one of the best if not THE best thermal paste out there. Its well worth the money, it may be few quid/dollars more expensive but don't be scared investing into a good product, it will be worth it
    I will disagree

Click me!

This beats AS5 EASILY

Quote Originally Posted by Waterspark View Post
    Last I heard OCZ Freeze and AC MX2/AC MX4 are better than AS5.